Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 09:34 AM

30,145 posts, read 11,783,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Except this differs from the Civil Rights movement because the Civil Rights movement resulted* in the passage of Title VII, which subsequently outlawed discrimination against certain protected classes. The remedy for aggrieved former AirBNB guests is to organize and lobby for the passage of anti-discrimination legislation that designates white supremacists as a protected class.

*It also resulted in jurisprudence that reversed segregation policies, but such segregation policies are not in play in this scenario, so we can probably put aside the implications of Brown v. Board of Ed. for the purposes of this discussion.
Title VII is about employment discrimination. This is not an employment issue.

Title VII prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin.

You actually made my point although convoluted. I was replying to a previous post. Just letting the marketplace and public opinion to decide what is right and wrong sometimes is not enough. The civil rights movement was needed for discrimination to be outlawed.

The issue here is the company creates a policy. If you want to use AirBNB you have to agree with that policy. Whether or not that policy is legal or not is another discussion. But the company apparently picks and chooses when to enforce that policy. If they did the same screening of social media before they allowed someone to be a member and deleted everyone who had something online that violated that policy at least they would be enforcing it fairly. In fact in this case they were only deleting people on this one website. If someone was a white supremacist but did not post there they were not deleted. Not a good way to enforce the rules.

My point is if someone is a good guest what they do on their personal time outside the room should be their business. I don't see how AirBNB can tell you what you should be doing. Even if its something that many find reprehensible as long as its not illegal.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:38 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
(picture a full-on press conference with residinghere at the podium taking questions from the press)

Ms. resdidinghere, Ms. residinghere...can you answer this question for me?
No, I don't believe that businesses should be able to discriminate for whatever they want to.

Also, FYI, like I say often on here. I don't stay on forums every waking minute of the day. I have an off-line life and stuff to do so if I don't respond quickly, it is probably because I'm doing real world stuff not because I'm ignoring you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You are strawman arguing. I never said view point was protected. I said viewpoint discriminating and blacklisting is a bad road to go down and would allow for most everyone to be discriminated against and blacklisted. You would not be okay with BnB discriminating against Democrats for one example.
On this it is odd that so many of you people who constantly bring up strawman's like to accuse me of being the strawman argue-er.

We were discussing housing discrimination and ABB's actions. My comments were specific to FHA laws and housing discrimination and the fact that being a racist is not a protected class. I also agreed with you that discriminating against Democrats would be legal and I wouldn't care if they did. I'm not a Democrat. It wouldn't affect me and I'm sure that Democrats, like these racists would make a stink and try to get the company to change its rules. People have a right to do that.

On "viewpoint discrimination" as I stated, everyone has conflicting viewpoints. Businesses create their own TOCs. Responsible businesses create their TOCs to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws (whichever is more stringent). They are free to ban any viewpoint that goes against their TOCs. Users who hold and state those viewpoints and the business finds out, said user is apt to be banned.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:39 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post

Title VII prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin.

You actually made my point although convoluted. I was replying to a previous post. Just letting the marketplace and public opinion to decide what is right and wrong sometimes is not enough. The civil rights movement was needed for discrimination to be outlawed.

The issue here is the company creates a policy. If you want to use AirBNB you have to agree with that policy. Whether or not that policy is legal or not is another discussion. But the company apparently picks and chooses when to enforce that policy. If they did the same screening of social media before they allowed someone to be a member and deleted everyone who had something online that violated that policy at least they would be enforcing it fairly. In fact in this case they were only deleting people on this one website. If someone was a white supremacist but did not post there they were not deleted. Not a good way to enforce the rules.

My point is if someone is a good guest what they do on their personal time outside the room should be their business. I don't see how AirBNB can tell you what you should be doing. Even if its something that many find reprehensible as long as its not illegal.
They can't tell you what you should be doing. They can, however, refuse to do business with you unless otherwise prohibited by law. I don't think we really disagree here.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post

Just wanted to note on the bold, that for this website - AirBnB, users are asked if they want to create an independent account or create an account based on their Google sign in or Facebook Login. Due to that, AirBnB may have access to social media profiles and posts, especially for those who use their Facebook credentials or who are active on Google social media forums with conversations.

Many white supremacists are active online and spout their nonsense via Facebook, Google, and Twitter. It would not be hard for AirBnB to single them out based on Google and Facebook log ins and seeing what users are posting about in relation to their travel plans and use of AirBnB's platform for housing.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:46 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I've used Airbnb four times (a cabin in Big Sur, a nice 500 sq ft guest home in Carmel, a place to crash in SLC, and a great basement apartment in Boulder) and been happy with my accomodations every time, but most of that has to do with my hosts. I am done using Airbnb and will seek alternatives (VRBO, HomeAway, FlipKey). A number of hosts use multiple services. I'm not supposing these alternatives aren't also run by ideologues, but to my knowledge they haven't yet demonstrated such a meddlesome social justice bent.
I think it has to do with the size of the org.

Those other sites were just informal smaller sites eventually bought up by one company- and they also formerly tended to deal in longer time periods.

Personally I don't care. It's the house that counts. Location and cleanliness and pricing.

If you are trying to avoid "ideologues", it's time to prep and move to Idaho....where you still have all ideologues, just that they tend to have the same POV.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:48 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Many white supremacists are active online and spout their nonsense via Facebook, Google, and Twitter. It would not be hard for AirBnB to single them out based on Google and Facebook log ins and seeing what users are posting about in relation to their travel plans and use of AirBnB's platform for housing.
I'm sure they are profiled for marketing (as 99% of us are). Ads show up on their screen with "conservative" tee shirts and such things. When political season rolls around they will also be targeted.

I'm sure if users of Google would be willing to pay $20-$30 a month for their service (same for other sites), the internet wouldn't be based on target marketing. But since everyone wants everything for free....these are the breaks.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:51 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Meh. I can see two types of people having a problem with this: 1. Those who are white supremacists or those who generally believe that white people are the most discriminated group, or 2. Those who had no problem whatsoever when it came to a bakery denying service to a gay couple.
Generally, companies have to follow anti-discrimination and equal access laws, which this seems to be a case of, and also, why would you actively court hate groups into your business model? This isn't the Republican Party, this is a private business whose purpose is to make money. I'm not sure how alienating a bunch of people by courting racists is a smart business decision.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:52 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Quote:
Many white supremacists are active online and spout their nonsense via Facebook, Google, and Twitter.
That's true. Look at Tim Pool, Dave Rubin, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, and William Shatner. All painted variously as NAZI / Alt-Right / White Supremacist, all users of social media.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:55 AM

30,145 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Just wanted to note on the bold, that for this website - AirBnB, users are asked if they want to create an independent account or create an account based on their Google sign in or Facebook Login. Due to that, AirBnB may have access to social media profiles and posts, especially for those who use their Facebook credentials or who are active on Google social media forums with conversations.

Good point. I was just going by what the news report said. IMHO you should never create accounts through your google or facebook info. Besides possible privacy issues you have possible hacking issues of your user info.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:56 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Personally I don't care.
Personally I do care. I won't contribute to Airbnb's revenue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
If you are trying to avoid "ideologues", it's time to prep and move to Idaho....where you still have all ideologues, just that they tend to have the same POV.
I seek to avoid regressive left SJW activists in my business dealings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies