U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 08:29 AM

1,460 posts, read 337,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Look through history and you'll find lots of "extreme deviations" from then-contemporary "societal expectation."
What do you have in mind? People are taking drugs and undergoing major surgeries, which is why it's the more extreme that comes to mind. Although, I do know that people have pretended to be the opposite sex throughout history for different reasons like professional aspirations.

Last edited by Cassy Fae; 08-12-2017 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 09:51 AM

1,083 posts, read 313,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
I laugh because that's not the case (regarding scientific theories) and that you are definitely a character; a funny character!
Maybe you should try to educate yourself. Knowing nothing whatsoever about science in this modern world is a disadvantage.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Maybe you should try to educate yourself. Knowing nothing whatsoever about science in this modern world is a disadvantage.
I do spend quite a bit of time immersed in the sciences, but that is irrelevant to the fact that scientific theories are not based on generalizations, let alone anecdotal generalizations about societal constructs.

Quote:
Theory: In science, a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses.
https://www.nap.edu/read/6024/chapter/2#2

You could argue that theories allow for generalizations. With that said, there are no scientific theories in the social sciences.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
As an aside I do agree that STEM illiteracy is a disadvantage and I think it may be tied to the concentration of power you noted earlier in the thread. Or, it at least lends to a lack of power for individuals in the day to day.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:41 AM

20,011 posts, read 7,972,802 times
Quote:
I do spend quite a bit of time immersed in the sciences, but that is irrelevant to the fact that scientific theories are not based on generalizations, let alone anecdotal generalizations about societal constructs.

https://www.nap.edu/read/6024/chapter/2#2

You could argue that theories allow for generalizations. With that said, there are no scientific theories in the social sciences.
Can't rep you again but this ^

Old 08-12-2017, 11:28 AM

6,131 posts, read 2,882,553 times
Quote:
You can find an exception to any generalization, if all you want is to argue.
Some do try to use outliers to imply there are no norms, and the exception to the rule is just as important, even if it is 0.5% of the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Generalizations aren't something upon which to base a theory. Sorry if you don't understand that.
I have to say 2sleepy (and you should know this) that while sweeping generalizations and stereotyping is not scientific, in many instances the general theme tends to be accurate.
Having the woman of the house love violence and having her marine husband crying at the same movie is atypical.

Also, while you are non violent, remember you could be strong willed, where other women are more influenced by outside factors. They may also have come of age during this current female empowerment period Hollywood is promoting in movies, TV shows and even commercials.

Rest assured stats show female arrests for assault & battery (and other more violent crimes) have exploded in recent times compared with historical data.
Entertainment promoting the notion women must be more like men in terms of aggression(though not framing it in those terms) certainly is a factor. Heck you now have the MMA with female fighting. I never grew up with that crap, but young girls of today are undoubtedly influenced by it.

Of course the opposite is true of male imagery, depicting it as being ok to dress or act feminine. Young influential boys can also get the wrong message. Granted most hetero boys and not going to turn homo or become trannys.
However if society as portrayed by entertainment implies gender roles are different than traditional "American red blooded men", it is not surprising you have guys running around acting and looking less masculine.
Heck I almost pulled over the other day when I saw what I thought was a woman with a flat tire on the side of the road.
As I got closer and slowed down, it was a frigging guy with a so called "man bun". The thing was so high it could have been a "man hive".

The point being that without societal pressure and stigma to combat the onslaught of liberalism & PC in entertainment, schools, etc., young boys will not be aspiring to be John Wayne or Clint Eastwood, but instead Paul Reubens or Jim Parsons

https://makehoustongreat.com/2012/06...ng-like-women/

Our culture will wake up one day in the future and wonder why the men have mostly become effeminate wimps.

https://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Years-W...+all+be+chicks

It has apparently already happened in Europe;

http://i.imgur.com/l3KAerz.jpg

Also, don't forget that there have been studies to show that effeminate boys tend to become homos or bisex. I guess most liberals would just claim they were already that way by birth, but as we know, not all homos were born that way, and were once heteros.
If we start raising our children to be without gender norms, who knows where that could lead.

`

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-12-2017 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 11:45 AM

1,083 posts, read 313,929 times
Let's say I am a psychologist who studies gender differences. I would observe males and females, I would do survey research, and some controlled experiments. From all this, I would gather DATA -- in other words, specifics.

From the data, the specifics, I would form GENERALIZATIONS.

From the GENERALIZATIONS, I would form HYPOTHESES. I would continue collecting data to test my hypotheses.

As I collect more data, I would refine my GENERALIZATIONS.

I would end up with some kind of THEORY about what the differences between males and females might be.

The same kind of process would be followed in any scientific subject.

If you aren't smart enough to see this, I can't help you further.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Let's say I am a psychologist who studies gender differences. I would observe males and females, I would do survey research, and some controlled experiments. From all this, I would gather DATA -- in other words, specifics.
Yes, that is done all the time. I linked a study for you earlier.

"From empathy and sexuality to science inclination and extroversion, statistical analysis of 122 different characteristics involving 13,301 individuals shows that men and women, by and large, do not fall into different groups. In other words, no matter how strange and inscrutable your partner may seem, their gender is probably only a small part of the problem."
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-maf020113.php

Quote:
From the data, the specifics, I would form GENERALIZATIONS.

From the GENERALIZATIONS, I would form HYPOTHESES. I would continue collecting data to test my hypotheses.
No, that is not how it's done. The hypothesis comes first. Then you test the hypothesis.

That is the problem with scientific illiteracy. You do not take the data and form a hypothesis to fit it.

Quote:
As I collect more data, I would refine my GENERALIZATIONS.
No.

Quote:
I would end up with some kind of THEORY about what the differences between males and females might be.
That is not a scientific theory. That is layman theory.

Quote:
The same kind of process would be followed in any scientific subject.
No, you are wrong. That's not how it works at all.

Quote:
If you aren't smart enough to see this, I can't help you further.
Well, whatever it is you are talking about it's not science. That's not how the scientific method works nor does it in any way describe scientific theories.

Again, there are NO scientific theories in any of the social sciences. eta: big surprise.

Last edited by Cassy Fae; 08-12-2017 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Also, don't forget that there have been studies to show that effeminate boys tend to become homos or bisex. I guess most liberals would just claim they were already that way by birth, but as we know, not all homos were born that way, and were once heteros.
If we start raising our children to be without gender norms, who knows where that could lead.

`
Humans are weird. And world religions, superstition, conspiracy theories, etc are as ridiculous as the above photos. All in the same pot as far as I'm concerned,

Old 08-12-2017, 12:29 PM

12,593 posts, read 9,743,442 times
Quote:
What do you have in mind? People are taking drugs and undergoing major surgeries, which is why it's the more extreme that comes to mind. Although, I do know that people have pretended to be the opposite sex throughout history for different reasons like professional aspirations.
Yea. People are going to MASSIVE extremes to "express their true individual selves." ,Transgenderism where someone elects for surgery to physically alter how they were born certainly jumps out as one of the most extreme. I can't wrap my cortex around even the idea of surgical removal of body parts that most people protect as being indispensable. I don't think there's enough drugs in any hospital inventory that could make me comfortable with the mere idea of scalpels, clamps, God knows what other implements, digging and gouging around my genitalia.

Of course I'm quite happy and content with how I was born. Projecting my individual identity doesn't require much more than my clothing. The idea of "gender fluidity" is a concept I cannot engage my brain to contemplate, and the workings of a brain that tells a man or woman they are not actually a man or woman is beyond my comprehension. If this is actually the case, then said man or woman is by rote attracted to the same sex they were born as. A man who thinks he's actually a woman would be attracted to other men and a woman attracted to other women.

But supposedly this phenomena goes far beyond simple homosexuality. These individuals want to function sexually as the opposite gender they were born as. (Sigh) despite the labels that will be plastered on me for this, I have to say that's just NOT natural. And for doctors to actually perform more than radical surgeries to accomodate these proclivities , and for people to actually cheer this and call these "patients" heroic for electing to have their bodies butchered is something that just flys so fast and high above my head I can't even try to grasp it.

And surgical alteration to "eexpress a true inner self" goes beyond just gender alteration. Some people claim they are actually a completely different species inside. They surgically alter themselves to become reptilian, feline, canine, even some species of creature or being that does not actually exist, yet this is what they claim to be inside. And the only way they can actually "be who they are" is via surgery that would curl Joseph Mengeles hair.

I'm personally fascinated by Faerie lore. Particularly the Elves. Their legendary woodcraft, superhuman physical prowess I cling eyesight and hearing. The pointed ears, fluorescent blue or green colored eyes, sharp , raptor like facial features. All of it peaks my imagination and has inspired me to write stories and such for my own edification. But even with such a fascination and admiration for the concept of such beings would I choose to have myself surgically altered to try and become one? Ummm...no. Because I u Der stand that despite what I may end up looking like outside, I'm still a human.

Just like someone who has been altered to be another gender will always be what they were born. Male or female. The alterations are purely cosmetic. Nothing but facades. An illusion. Their brains s telling them that they are not what they were born, just like the people who believe they are actually animals, is the ultimate illusion. A powerful one, perhaps, one that takes over their mind certainly, but still not real.

That a majority of women desire men to become more feminine in both physical appearance and mental process is also a non reality. Not an illusion or hallucination like the trapped in the wrong body thing, it's a construct, but no more a reality than the dream I had I could fly last night. We are merely being exposed on a bombardment basis by media that only reports on the radical fringes, and again, creates a construct that this is a majority idea. This also has the effect of normalizing or giving the appearance that this is widely accepted as a normal thing. When in reality it is anything but. I'll go out on a limb a bit here and say that the feelings on this I have noted here are far closer to the truth of the matter from most people's point of view than what we are being told by media sources. Outside the radical fringes who are so deeply immersed in the illusion that it has become reality to them, most mainstream people are having as much trouble trying to comprehend this as I have stated I am.

I am quite happy that my relationships and interactions with the opposite sex is drawn up along male and female borders. That our respective gender viewpoints compliment each other and function in a symbiotic nature. As nature intended. My closest female friends work in the medical field, and one of them has had actual firsthand experience with gender alteration surgery. Her relations of what is involved, how radical and painful it is, the post surgical care involved and how it effects not only the patient, but the caregivers and family leads me to believe that nobody in a proper mental state would actually choose to do this. And that the doctors who agree to do these procedures are just in it for the money and just discard any thoughts that they are actually enabling self destructive behavior fueled by mental illness.

That is how I have come to see it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies