Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 06:10 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
One of the most famous replies here on the politics forum. Usually blurted out by liberals to try and prove some phenomena is no one else's business. Truth is, if someone even complains about something, it has already affected them in a negative way.

How has other people's choice to abort babies impact my life? It makes me very sad to know that innocent children are dying. If it becomes normalized, perhaps my child will one day abort and I can be without grandchildren etc...

How does other people's use of hard drugs impact my life? Addicts often turn criminal when they don't have money to support their addiction. Some druggies hangout in otherwise nice parks that my child would like playing in, etc.

Everything is everyone else's business because we live in a society. The effects may not be immediately apparent, but directly or indirectly, we are affected. You think it's harmless that someone uses a certain brand of shoe? Well, I happen to know the slave-wage factory that makes that shoe in China, and they have poor occupational health standards. The chemicals caused the premature death of an employee who happens to be my brother-in-law (because I married a Chinese). See what I'm saying?

So yes, liberal's personal choices do affect my life just as my choices (like my large carbon footprint, or my support for Donald Trump) apparently affects theirs.
This sounds like something a liberal would say.

They would apply it to different issues than you do, but it is a liberal philosophy, nonetheless.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:37 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
Haha, is that why you took the time to read and reply to this thread?

Well yes. First of all I read it to determine what was causing your emotional distress, how your distress might have an impact on my own life, and what might be said to soothe you. It's like when a mother responds to a screaming child to find out what the child's problem is in case it might be something serious and real that requires important remedial action from the mother. Sometimes a simple pat on the head will soothe the child, sometimes a trip to the ER is required. And sometimes it becomes obvious the child is simply having a tantrum and trying to be manipulative and the kid needs to be told to smarten up and is thenceforth ignored.

After reading the thread I concluded that your distress is not real, it's something blown out of proportion, making a mountain out of a molehill. You are just having a tantrum online because you don't approve and don't have control over the personal choices that other people make for themselves. Your false distress does not impact my life and your personal desire to manipulate other people's personal choices is not important to me. In all likelihood it's not important to the majority of people who believe in having the freedom to make personal choices for themselves.

So I responded because I felt you at least had the right to know that I took the time to read the thread and determine what your problem was and to tell you "I don't care" because your problem isn't real, it isn't important to me and it does NOT impact my life.

I think you should stop imagining things out of proportion and stop allowing yourself to be impacted by the personal decisions that other people make for themselves.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:29 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well yes. First of all I read it to determine what was causing your emotional distress, how your distress might have an impact on my own life, and what might be said to soothe you. It's like when a mother responds to a screaming child to find out what the child's problem is in case it might be something serious and real that requires important remedial action from the mother.

Wow, you care for me so much?

Old 08-11-2017, 01:10 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
So, you’d be fine with vegans outlawing the consumption of meat by people who are not vegans?

Old 08-11-2017, 01:54 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Ah, yes, the abortion debate rears its ugly head again. Yes, please feel free to weigh in on my decision to terminate at pregnancy at 22 weeks due to anencephaly nineteen years ago right about now. I'm sure I would have dearly loved your opinion on the matter as my life completely fell to pieces, because how it affected YOU is all important.

T-4 anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies