Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 AM

68,298 posts, read 54,154,649 times

Advertisements

I think far too many voters confuse PC/non-PC (style) with Substance (or a lack of same)

Old 08-09-2017, 09:45 AM

68,298 posts, read 54,154,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
A lot of liberal/progressive conversation comes for PROJECTION. They project their thoughts, fears, and insecurities onto others, then want to create more government to fix their "problems". But, you and I HAVE to pay for it.

Meanwhile, conservatives grow government every time it suits their agenda and we ALL have to pay for it.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:48 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,299,192 times
I have always considered emotional intelligence (eq) to be an ability to read interpersonal interactions accurately and to adapt appropriately. It's something I, as a communicator, demonstrate in my dealings with others, not something that I demand of others.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,772,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
It is interesting that, in my own experience and many others I know, the ones that are really drawn to that SJW mentality are emotionally unstable. I personally know multiple SJW types and they're very emotionally erratic, often irrational, and have family issues. I don't think that's just a weird coincidence.

I think there's something to the theory that they experienced some trauma as kids - having a broken family, being an outcast, etc. - and the government fulfills the role of parent/teacher that satisfies their emotional needs. If you attack or question their "protector", they lash out because it feels like an attack on them.

That could apply to a lot of people, but I think it's very common in the cult of social justice. That's why they flip out if you disagree with them and can't have a calm and rational conversation.
On the bold, I feel the same way about extreme liberals that people call "SJW"s along with very extreme conservatives who I personally call their own term "snowflakes."

Most people today, unfortunately cannot maturely consider another person's POV. They are deadset in their ways and if you engage them in an intelligent, mature conversation, especially online they will feel threatened and will go into a crazy, emotional state on a variety of topics. Both SJWs and Snowflakes get really emotional over, what are IMO, made up topics. Most of these topics are actual issues that have a long historical significance in our nation and/or the world, but today, too often, people just read/consume media and interpretations of history that align with their present opinion/view of that particular topic. They do not seek valid source material or conflicting POVs that may challenge their perception of a particular topic and the historical issues associated with said topic.

Instead they emotionally lash out and call people names and fall into immature banter.

For me, this is a broad based phenomenon and is not something only relegated to liberals/SJWs. It is just as pronounced in conservative snowflakes and with all sorts of people on particular "hot" topics.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I have always considered emotional intelligence (eq) to be an ability to read interpersonal interactions accurately and to adapt appropriately. It's something I, as a communicator, demonstrate in my dealings with others, not something that I demand of others.
It has a two pronged definition of sorts and includes your description along with people being able to be aware of and control their own emotions in difficult situations/conversations.

But I agree it is not something we should demand of others. It is something that we should be aware of and should demonstrate with our verbal and written communications.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:56 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,989,427 times
Quote:
A lot of liberal/progressive conversation comes for PROJECTION. They project their thoughts, fears, and insecurities onto others, then want to create more government to fix their "problems". But, you and I HAVE to pay for it.
Said a conservative totally non-ironically as they wail and worry about trans people in bathrooms or the military.

It's interesting in general how the PC movement- which at its core is simply based on the idea of treating people both equally under the law and with the same respect one might want personally, regardless of the occasional overreach- seems so offensive to those in the conservative spectrum. It's almost as if they find it difficult to be decent human beings and resent the effort.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:59 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,550,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think that, too often, people confuse political correctness with "just being polite."

Example:

Guy decides to refer to all the women in the office as "capable, for females."

That's rude. Who gives a crap if it's PC or not, it's rude.

Same guy says he's concerned about the hiring of more women on the team because so many of them cannot seem to do the same degree of heavy lifting as the men and he wishes they'd either hire more women who are physically capable of the work or hire some men who are, because they're falling behind on tasks every day.

That's a fair assessment of working conditions, and it's not rude to point it out if performance of the team is suffering.

Point being, saying misogynistic and/or bigoted stuff isn't about being PC or not. It's about being a courteous coworker.

Now, if you accidentally get a person's preferred ethnic label wrong (they want to be referred to as Latino instead of being referred to as a person of color) and they file a report against you or you don't know which gender pronoun is appropriate for that person you think is a man but who is actually genderqueer and they blow up and attack you for what was an honest mistake? Yes. That's PC culture it can be very divisive.

As long as people are making an attempt to be considerate and courteous toward others, they should not be ostracized for not knowing the most recent letters to be added to the LGBTQQIAP2 or whatever it's up to now.
Yes, yes, yes.

I agree that people sometimes get a little too worked up about slip-ups. For example, I prefer inclusive language, but my head's not going to explode if someone says "mankind" instead of "humanity."

The thing that upsets me is how ordinary good manners get mocked for being "too PC." I mean basic stuff like not calling people names, not making fun of people's looks or disabilities - the kind of thing I hope to God most of us learned in kindergarten. Why is that sort of thing okay now, and why are people who object to it considered "snowflakes" by so many people?

As for preferred ethnic terms or personal pronouns, well...If I get it wrong as an honest mistake, and the person in question gets mad, that's on them. If I persist in ignoring their preference after they have told me how they would like to be referred to, that's on me. It costs me nothing to respect their wishes.

Mostly, I just wish people would be civil to each other, but sadly, rude seems to be the new normal.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 08-09-2017 at 10:10 AM..

Old 08-09-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Conservatives/snowflakes do the same thing lol.

The trans men are going to rape us women and girls in the bathroom, gays getting married will end humanity, all Muslims are evil terrorists out to "get us", illegal immigrants are stealing all our jobs, etc.

So for the above conservative snowflakes want to enact laws/policy to disallow trans people from using certain bathrooms, wanted to stop gays from getting married, want to ban Muslims from coming into the country, want to build a multi-billion dollar wall to stop "illegals".....

Hope you get it.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:01 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,550,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
The thing that bothers me most, and that I think is very reactionary and shortsighted, is when people want to pass laws to deal with rudeness. Yeah it's rude, but being rude isn't an actual crime.
Being rude isn't illegal, nor should it be. But it may well cost you a job or other opportunity, if you can't or won't control it around other people, and I have no problem with that.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:02 AM

10,624 posts, read 4,253,565 times
I agree with John Cleese's psychologist 100%.
I know some very temperamental folks, except they don't reveal how temperamental they are unless you say something controversial.
They'll be fine and suddenly you'll say something that is just your opinion (on abortion or marriage for example) and they'll get very loud and angry, even though you never said anything about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies