Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 07:57 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
^ This

If you can't hire at a rate, raise your rate. If you can't make money, tough.
Tell that to the entire state of Wisconsin who cannot find a single American to even apply to milk the cows to make their famous cheese.

I think the economic activity around their cheese is in the billions.

Their entire way of life has been going on this way for many decades...and so your answer is to just close up the shop, sell the cattle and sell the farm?

Americans won't milk them for $20 an hour. Even at higher wages they will likely start and then fail to show up.

Your simplistic answers are not going to MAGA. In fact, they are a disaster for the very people who voted for Trump....let alone the USA as a whole.

They were interviewing one large Wis. farmer on the radio and he has NEVER had a single American apply - never.

Maybe at $50 per hour some people will show up...whether they do a good job, stay off drugs and booze and actually find a place to live out in the sticks is another thing. No one can run a business that way.

I guess we just let Wis. fail and import our cheese from Europe, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 08:01 PM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I live in and grew up in CA so don't tell me about hating this state. What I don't like is it's one sided, one party dominated politics.
Those are nice statistics but it doesn't change the fact that CA is the largest producer of crops in the U.S., not any of the states you listed and especially not Nevada. Percentages are nice to display though. It doesn't however give you actual numbers.

Those stats also showed that the majority of pickers aren't illegal aliens. Why would the crops rot in the fields since there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign workers?

Old 08-10-2017, 08:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
It's not about the crops that people care about, but the hotel, janitors, restaurant workerr, and other low level jobs that illegals have taken over. Big business are pushing this farming and crop narrative in order to protect their slave work force in non farming industries.

If farmers want seasonal legal workers, then perhaps those farmers should ask for modification in farm visas or H-A2 to take into account things like housing, number of workers needed, and other variables that can changed from season to season.

Farming and other industries that use illegal immigrants are unregulated. It's time to end this and force companies and farmers to use the legal method of hiring workers.
Wow - this sounds like the "comprehensive immigration reform" that Democrats and Republicans of sane mind have been fighting for - for at least a decade. But it's not going to happen now because Trump called the workers crooks and rapists and most are headed back to Mexico.

Also, he has painted himself into a corner (along with his supporters) by claiming that there were plenty of Americans who would gladly do these jobs. So where are they?

It is a perfect example of Trumpism - otherwise known as diarrhea of the mouth without actually making some real world legislation and passing it.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:08 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
It's not about the crops that people care about, but the hotel, janitors, restaurant workerr, and other low level jobs that illegals have taken over. Big business are pushing this farming and crop narrative in order to protect their slave work force in non farming industries.

If farmers want seasonal legal workers, then perhaps those farmers should ask for modification in farm visas or H-A2 to take into account things like housing, number of workers needed, and other variables that can changed from season to season.

Farming and other industries that use illegal immigrants are unregulated. It's time to end this and force companies and farmers to use the legal method of hiring workers.
I completely agree. All the rhetoric about ending illegal immigration is just cheap talk until they decide to go after employers and I just don't see any sign of that happening.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:28 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Hard working, good people don't break laws and take from others what doesn't belong to them. No thanks on annexation. Many Mexicans don't assimilate and that would just dilute our own culture. What benefit would it be to us to allow 3 million poor and needy people to be absorbed into our society that can't even make it in Mexico?
I'll have to disagree with you. As far as assimilation goes, most people here from Mexico can't even speak Spanish any more after 2 generations. They are fully assimilated into our society. I know this because I live in the illegal alien capital of the United States and most of the illegals are from Mexico. I work with many people who's grandparents came here illegally and they can't speak Spanish if their lives depended on it. They intermarry and have English speaking American children who live American lives no different than anyone else.

The reason they can't make it in Mexico is because Mexico is still a third world country with little opportunity for the average hard working person to succeed and gain status.
U.S. industry would make Baja boom with jobs and growth. Anyway, I didn't expect you to agree to the idea. It's one way to have Mexico pay reparations for the U.S. taking care of their citizens and would make Mexico take a second look at itself as a viable nation if they continue on their current path.
It's not shocking that Mexico has lost territory during it's entire existence as a country considering how inept and corrupt their government is.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Wow - this sounds like the "comprehensive immigration reform" that Democrats and Republicans of sane mind have been fighting for - for at least a decade. But it's not going to happen now because Trump called the workers crooks and rapists and most are headed back to Mexico.

Also, he has painted himself into a corner (along with his supporters) by claiming that there were plenty of Americans who would gladly do these jobs. So where are they?

It is a perfect example of Trumpism - otherwise known as diarrhea of the mouth without actually making some real world legislation and passing it.

Amnesty isn't "reform" and that's all that has been proposed. We tried that back in 1986 and look where we are today. Some illegals are crooks and rapists is that a surprise to you? Trump didn't say they all were.

Who do you think were doing all those blue-collared jobs for a fair wage before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? As for crop picking there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers. It's not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work.

The diarrhea of the mouth is coming out of the liberal camp since they spin and lie so much.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I'll have to disagree with you. As far as assimilation goes, most people here from Mexico can't even speak Spanish any more after 2 generations. They are fully assimilated into our society. I know this because I live in the illegal alien capital of the United States and most of the illegals are from Mexico. I work with many people who's grandparents came here illegally and they can't speak Spanish if their lives depended on it. They intermarry and have English speaking American children who live American lives no different than anyone else.

The reason they can't make it in Mexico is because Mexico is still a third world country with little opportunity for the average hard working person to succeed and gain status.
U.S. industry would make Baja boom with jobs and growth. Anyway, I didn't expect you to agree to the idea. It's one way to have Mexico pay reparations for the U.S. taking care of their citizens and would make Mexico take a second look at itself as a viable nation if they continue on their current path.

I don't know where you live but I can attest to the fact that many of Mexican heritage whether they be legal or illegal are not assimilating in So. Calif. They speak most exclusively in Spanish even if they know English. I have seen many of their elderly that don't speak a lick of English either.

It's not our problem that Mexico won't provide jobs for it's citizens and we shouldn't have to absorb them into our society especially if they are here illegally. As for me I don't want any part of Mexico or for them to become a part of us.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:42 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't know where you live but I can attest to the fact that many of Mexican heritage whether they be legal or illegal are not assimilating in So. Calif. They speak most exclusively in Spanish even if they know English. I have seen many of their elderly that don't speak a lick of English either.

It's not our problem that Mexico won't provide jobs for it's citizens and we shouldn't have to absorb them into our society especially if they are here illegally. As for me I don't want any part of Mexico or for them to become a part of us.
You're obviously not reading what I wrote. Many elderly don't speak English because they are the ones that came here illegally. Their grandchildren do speak English and quite well unless they never make it out of the City of Santa Ana, LOL.
I know what you're saying though. You're more than entitled to feel the way you do.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:29 PM

50,271 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Tell that to the entire state of Wisconsin who cannot find a single American to even apply to milk the cows to make their famous cheese.

I think the economic activity around their cheese is in the billions.

Their entire way of life has been going on this way for many decades...and so your answer is to just close up the shop, sell the cattle and sell the farm?

Americans won't milk them for $20 an hour. Even at higher wages they will likely start and then fail to show up.

Your simplistic answers are not going to MAGA. In fact, they are a disaster for the very people who voted for Trump....let alone the USA as a whole.

They were interviewing one large Wis. farmer on the radio and he has NEVER had a single American apply - never.

Maybe at $50 per hour some people will show up...whether they do a good job, stay off drugs and booze and actually find a place to live out in the sticks is another thing. No one can run a business that way.

I guess we just let Wis. fail and import our cheese from Europe, eh?
So breaking the law is your answer? I'm a wheat farmer. Most of my buddies "lost the farm" if they couldn't cut it. The rest of us made it.

We aren't responsible for your failed attempt.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
You're obviously not reading what I wrote. Many elderly don't speak English because they are the ones that came here illegally. Their grandchildren do speak English and quite well unless they never make it out of the City of Santa Ana, LOL.
I know what you're saying though. You're more than entitled to feel the way you do.

It's not feeling it's fact. Knowing how to speak English and actually doing so are two entirely different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies