Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:53 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,731,801 times

Advertisements

don't forget about the millions of dollars from fema visa cards that were spent in bars and strip clubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 09:05 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebecressy1 View Post
It's been almost three years since Katrina happend...... You would have to ask the government and other agencies what happend to a large sum of the money! It's a fact that there was a lot of stealing and mismanagement of funds by agencies/people in authority as well as hurricane victims. Why is everyone still bringing up katrina, katrina, katrina.....most people have long stopped receiving help from the government and other agencies. Most people have this misconception that New Orleans was so very poor, as well as all the people that lived there. There were poor as well as very rich people who were born and raised in New Orleans,LA. It really makes me sick of the stomach, because i have been to several states/ cities in America since katrina and there are very poor and very rich people in every ghetto and every city...... Georgia's ghetto's are way worst than people live in the ghetto in New Orleans. Some of the people that are still living in trailors does have a lack of responsibility as an functional adult, as well as some have not been helped, and some have gotten all types of help, but just want to live off the government.... it's a hell of a mixture.....each situation is different!!! For one thing, all of the people that already had been living on the section 8 program... had an option to go to any housing authority with their voucher and be assisted with the housing of their choice.....so that would only leave the maybe handicap/ disabled that wasn't previously assisted by the government with housing......some of the people have mental issues due to katrina/ before katrina that is holding them back from even seeking to pull their self up by the boot straps. If you are not planning to help........or as my mother use to say if you can't say anything good, just don't say anything!! Let God be the judge......... and if any of you are ever in that situation, then please let everyone know how you handled it!!!! Until then.....and the day will come......Just leave well enough alone!!!!!
I just wish I had a clear view of what has occurred. I just find it hard to fathom 35,000 people still in trailers. As you said, each situation is different. I myself have not gone to the Gulf coast area to volunteer, but I know about a dozen people who have and have read of hundreds more who have gone - to help re-build houses, clean up areas, etc. I have sent $$$ and evidently millions of other Americans did, too.

I guess my thought is - that I wonder how so much time from volunteers - and money from donors - could have been poured into this region - and still such a big mess. I guess there is no easy answer!

The media makes it look like no one has helped these 35,000 people but it seems to me a lot of them were getting gov't subsidies of some type b/f Katrina hit . . . and a lot of them must be still getting gov't help.

I really do wonder if it all comes down to people who have vouchers and cannot work (for whatever reason) - but can't find a place to rent b/c no one is re-building rental units. I would think that might fit some people - maybe even 5000 people, but dear me . . .35,000 people? That is the size of a town! Did 9th ward even have that many people in it b/f the flood????

Old 03-15-2008, 11:52 PM

206 posts, read 528,911 times
Default Ok!!!

Opinions are like --------.....everybody has one. I can talk until i'm blue in the face.... you have to be presuaded by your own opinion and it's clear what that is..... as everybody would like to say all katrina victims are the same.... Let's get them, every chance we can!!!! They asked hurricane katrina to come to New Orleans....so they can have to go to another state for handouts..... ok there you have it!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:12 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
No one says they ask for it but they knew the dangers;especially their ploiticans. They ignored the warnings and have in the past.They were given fed money to drawup a evacuation plan and they did but they never implemented the plan unlike thers that did in many areas. They then voted in the same mayor who failed them. They have been given huge amounts of money.Now it is up to the local and state government to handle the recovery. But I did note that LA had a state surplus last years and did not issue any of it for hurricane relief.If you watched the hearings Mississippi and Texas did a much better job of not only evacuating but in recovery efforts after katrina and rita.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:10 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,092,826 times
Yes their politicans knew about the levy and did nothing to fix it. I'm not sure it is fixed now, but maybe somone from there can tell us. The first ones to help out when there is a disaster is the American people that offer as much as they can. I believe that after 911 not all the money donated went where it should have. I know of a couple that owned a home in NO and their insurance company would not pay (they had flood coverage) but the company deemed that it was wind damage and would not pay. I don't think you can blindly blame the victims. Fema screwed up and even admitted it.
And as far as blaming them that live there, that is like saying those of us that live in
Arizona would be to blame if there was a natural disaster, and if we had to evacuate it would be a mess.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:35 AM

Default Yes!

Sassyone at least your not asking a question, with the answer already assumed or figured out!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:52 AM

Default Oh Yeah

By the way would anyone care to tell me if the levees broke in Mississippi/Texas?????? While you are talking about how they handled things much better!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 12:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebecressy1 View Post
Sassyone at least your not asking a question, with the answer already assumed or figured out!
If you are referring to my question, I think I have demonstrated over and over on this post that I absolutely do not have any pre-conceived ideas about what has happened and why 35,000 people are still in trailers. I find it disgraceful and want to know how this situation can be changed. If you read the whole thread, you would see that.

I gave my $$ as I suspect most people on these forums did.

No one has told me how many people even lived in the 9th ward to start with. And I have no clue as to how many people in trailers were even from NO - and how many were from other regions in the Gulf coast. This is what I am saying: the media is not really giving anyone indepth info about what has gone on and what has happened to people.

I am not pre-judging at all. I am trying to find out the FACTS. I have wondered about many things and speculated but I have not really found answers and so I thought maybe someone on CD was there and knew the truth.

35,000 people w/o a permanent place to live is outrageous, for whatever reason. I think we can all agree on that.

I just want to know WHY and what can be DONE to rectify this mess.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:40 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
I think they should all be given section 8 vouchers and get it over with. If they can't make it work after that, then they deserve to fail.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:43 PM

157 posts, read 309,844 times
Default Logic

I have been to New Orleans several times. People didn't evacuate because they were too poor. Officials knew this. The people are very friendly and hard working. One lady had her grandaughter (because the girls mother had died) The grandmother was in her 60's sending this girl to high school and working 2 jobs and doing laundry. The government, city officials, and insurance companies are to blame for all the people in fema trailers. They failed these people. And they were always told the levies were safe. Another lie. Don't blame the people. Try putting yourself in these peoples place. The insurance won't pay, city officials won't help, government keeps promising. Nothing happens. What would you do? It is an awful disgrace that they are not helped and serves as a wake up call for the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies