Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 04:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times

Advertisements

Some people are genuinely offended, and some of us simply don't like it, but we all get lumped together and told we have mental problems. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 04:38 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I disagree. As a married woman of a certain age, I expect to be addressed by the honorific Mrs. until I personally invite you to do otherwise, and I will demonstrate the same respect to you by using the honorific Mr. when interacting with you. I am very uncomfortable with the assumption of intimacy inherent in the use of sweetheart outside of family relationships. And if you teach your children to call me the sickenly saccharine Miss "first name" you'd better duck, because there will soon be a shoe flying at your head.
The problem with your unreasonable expectation is that nobody, and I mean NOBODY gives a flying rip who you are, how old you are, if you're married, or what your first and/or last name is.

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
I don't think anyone cares if someone is particularly offended by being called sweetheart, its what you do in response to it that is befuddling some people. I would not complain to a supervisor because someone triggered me by calling me sweetheart. What if that person got fired because of my complaint? Is that justice being meted out for my inconvenience? Guess that'll learn 'em not to do that again.

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Who the F is Ashley Judd? And why would I care?

Old 08-09-2017, 04:39 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Eh, to me, a northerner by birth, sweetheart is a term of familiarity and inappropriately used by those with whom I do not share a close relationship. I did not watch the video, so I cannot speak to the specifics of Judd's behavior, but I don't like it when people other than my huband or mother call me sweetheart either.
Yeah but Ashley Judd is from a southern family. She knows the cultural connotations.

She is choosing to be over sensitive and offended.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:40 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Where I'm from, you only call people sweetie if they're your romantic partners, much younger relatives, or if you happen to be the neighborhood sweet cookie-baking granny.

Or if you're consoling a good female friend. Like, "sweetie, he didn't deserve you anyway" if they're crying over a breakup or whatnot.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:40 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Wake up!

It is not a compliment, and it's been considered sexist for the last few decades.
Sweetheart has been considered sexist for decades? I never got that memo. I'd say it depends on how it's delivered. For some, it's just reflexive habit because it's common where they live.

Unless the person is being sarcastic or rude, it's almost never meant as an insult. I think people need to get over worrying about what strangers say to them unless it's intentionally rude or mean. Even then, who cares what strangers think of you? I would only get offended or hurt by something someone said if it was someone I knew, and even then I don't get offended very easily. Life's too short.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:43 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Who the F is Ashley Judd? And why would I care?
Oh - you don't care about anyone except yourself? You don't care about social issues? You don't care about justice and fairness? That's in large part what this forum is about, you know.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:43 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What a *****

Old 08-09-2017, 04:44 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Talking Feminist Ashley Judd Loses Her Mind When Airport Worker Calls Her 'Sweetheart'

Well, well, well...

Just look at all the Trumplings yipping and yapping in this thread.

While they claim , "Who cares what celebrities say!"

so amusing.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies