Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 08:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,578,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
That is nice to hear. I am glad it can still happen in some places.
Just because it can where you are does not mean it can happen everywhere.
In some places you cannot
Employers choose to have a party or not. Given the incredible liability imposed on employers for accidents/ injuries related to parties, many choose to not have parties, anymore. Given the cost of a party, many employers choose to no longer do so.

Absolutely nothing stops YOU from decorating your home as you please and throwing your own party.

It's a tad child- like to expect your employer to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 08:13 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,750,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
It's not too hard to comprehend. The more diverse a culture, the more grey laws and norms become. The underlying thread of cohesiveness and community, that keep a society functioning smoothly, breaks down into individualism and obscure subjectivity.

Respect for elders and traditions are traded in for personal pursuits and happiness, yet since definitions of happiness vary so greatly in an individualized culture, one person's happiness encroaches upon another's--who holds a different definition of happiness. Thus people become less and less happy.

Everyone wants their slice of cake a different flavor, which is an impossible cake to bake.

Such a country doesn't merely divide, it disintegrates into a putrid wasteland of incoherent voices.
You know, this would make sense if it were opposite day. The fact of the matter is that the greatest empires in history have all been multicultural, with the possible exception of China.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:21 AM

15,068 posts, read 6,137,807 times
It depends on the country and the overall culture. In my country of descent, people come from various ethnic and religious origins and live together in a small place. Of course, the country has its challenges but now it is better off than it has ever been in most areas.

The diversity has made it a uniquely beautiful place...

Old 08-11-2017, 08:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,578,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
When my Grandmother immigrated to America from Germany (she had wonderful stories of seeing the
Statue of Liberty for the first time, and a brief stay at Ellis Island.) she could not speak one word of English.
But she enrolled in night classes and learned the language.
She never committed any crimes...but yet when world war II came around, they took her from her
husband and children and put her in a camp.
She loved America still though, and was very Patriotic, she sent her only son to fight in the Korean War,
she raised three children and had eighteen Grandchildren. She always worked hard and contributed to society.
So, just because someone cannot speak the language...it doesn't mean that they never will.
And sometimes you just can't judge someone else's motives and reasons...or their heart.
My ( now deceased) in laws were displaced people after WW2 who met in a concentration camp that eventually became a refugee camp. These camps comprised people from throughout Europe, including Jews and Nazis. Canada and the US favored resettling families and so there were massive group marriages in the camps and people got busy creating children. As time wore on both Canada and the US set quotas for refugees from certain countries. No one had papers and were free to switch nationality claims as they saw fit.

My inlaws claimed they were Polish refugees because that's what the US was admitting at the time. They were not Polish but similaries in language and culture made it easy to pass.

They immigrated and settled in an ethnic community in Chicago. They never learned to speak or understand English. Father in Law had active TB. Mother worked. They bought a three flat. They paid income and property taxes. They became citizens with translators. They did not assimilate.

Their children learned English in school. My husband is a Viet Nam War veteran and fully assimilated. His younger brother, for whatever reason, held on to the old ways. He preferred to speak Ukrainian and lead his adult life as if he was an immigrant instead of being native born as he was. His children however are as American as Apple Pie. And the old neighborhood is fully gentrified.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:28 AM

34,173 posts, read 18,460,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My ( now deceased) in laws were displaced people after WW2 who met in a concentration camp that eventually became a refugee camp. These camps comprised people from throughout Europe, including Jews and Nazis. Canada and the US favored resettling families and so there were massive group marriages in the camps and people got busy creating children. As time wore on both Canada and the US set quotas for refugees from certain countries. No one had papers and were free to switch nationality claims as they saw fit.

My inlaws claimed they were Polish refugees because that's what the US was admitting at the time. They were not Polish but similaries in language and culture made it easy to pass.

They immigrated and settled in an ethnic community in Chicago. They never learned to speak or understand English. Father in Law had active TB. Mother worked. They bought a three flat. They paid income and property taxes. They became citizens with translators. They did not assimilate.

Their children learned English in school. My husband is a Viet Nam War veteran and fully assimilated. His younger brother, for whatever reason, held on to the old ways. He preferred to speak Ukrainian and lead his adult life as if he was an immigrant instead of being native born as he was. His children however are as American as Apple Pie. And the old neighborhood is fully gentrified.

That is a very interesting story. Thank you.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 AM

62,698 posts, read 28,894,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The US hardly resembles " the initial and identifying one".

If it did, Christmas would not be a Federal Holiday and celebration would be banned by law. If it did, the age of consent for a girl would still be age 7 as it once was. If it did, humans could still be owned. If it did, those who were not white and male and land owners would not be able to vote. If it did, everything would still be segregated.

Is this the culture you want to embrace?

That is not our culture today. I said identifying one. You took initial to mean nothing but the bad things from the past. I am speaking of the good things and our identifying language, etc. I don't even call the things you mentioned as being culture.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:09 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,481,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
It's not too hard to comprehend. The more diverse a culture, the more grey laws and norms become. The underlying thread of cohesiveness and community, that keep a society functioning smoothly, breaks down into individualism and obscure subjectivity.

Respect for elders and traditions are traded in for personal pursuits and happiness, yet since definitions of happiness vary so greatly in an individualized culture, one person's happiness encroaches upon another's--who holds a different definition of happiness. Thus people become less and less happy.

Everyone wants their slice of cake a different flavor, which is an impossible cake to bake.

Such a country doesn't merely divide, it disintegrates into a putrid wasteland of incoherent voices.
Some very undiverse countries are having a problem with this thing right now. IMO, not a diversity issue but a 21st century greed issue.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That is not our culture today. I said identifying one. You took initial to mean nothing but the bad things from the past. I am speaking of the good things and our identifying language, etc. I don't even call the things you mentioned as being culture.
What do you define as our culture then?

Old 08-11-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
You know, this would make sense if it were opposite day. The fact of the matter is that the greatest empires in history have all been multicultural, with the possible exception of China.
China itself is pretty multicultural considering they have 55 recognized ethnic groups and at least 9 different recognized languages, many of which are unintelligible to the others. People outside China might look at them and say "oh it's all Chinese people" but China's huge. It'd be like saying all Europeans have 1 identifying culture.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 AM

Define "kills off countries"... Seems to me the US, Canada, UK, Australia, etc are still on top of many quality of life and economic measures. The world-class cities around the world also tend to be very multicultural and I don't see NYC or London dying in popularity or investment anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies