U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2017, 10:21 AM
 
59,764 posts, read 23,217,773 times
Reputation: 11653

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I watched his entire Joe Rogan talk and he seems very libertarian in a lot of his reasoning, but he's a bit inconsistent, especially on things like war.
Unfortunately that is the case with many who think they are Libertarian.

 
Old 08-11-2017, 10:39 AM
 
618 posts, read 958,856 times
Reputation: 419
I follow him on twitter. I don't agree with much he says, but there is always those two tweets a month I agree with.
 
Old 08-11-2017, 12:20 PM
 
10,098 posts, read 5,917,452 times
Reputation: 5225
Ben Shapiro is razor sharp and has a wit to boot, but after listening to him over time and reading the works of Thomas Sowell, I see that he mostly just repeats Dr. Sowell's arguments in debates. I think that on top of him being a brilliant guy, he mostly read all of Thomas Sowell's extensive collection of books and has memorized a lot of the material by heart. That is not a bad thing at all. But almost every time he is asked a question about race, policy, economics, etc, he usually brings up a point I've heard Dr. Sowell make in a talk or read in one of his books.

He's a lawyer by trade so he knows how to present his case much better than most of his opponents. But as far as the mainstream conservative pundits he is one of the best. All in all, you would serve yourself better by just reading the intellectual giants on the right such as Milton Friedman or Thomas Sowell.
 
Old 08-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Status: "Keep the Dreamers, deport the Equifax executives" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Earth
15,367 posts, read 20,545,970 times
Reputation: 6064
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Ben Shapiro is razor sharp and has a wit to boot, but after listening to him over time and reading the works of Thomas Sowell, I see that he mostly just repeats Dr. Sowell's arguments in debates. I think that on top of him being a brilliant guy, he mostly read all of Thomas Sowell's extensive collection of books and has memorized a lot of the material by heart. That is not a bad thing at all. But almost every time he is asked a question about race, policy, economics, etc, he usually brings up a point I've heard Dr. Sowell make in a talk or read in one of his books.

He's a lawyer by trade so he knows how to present his case much better than most of his opponents. But as far as the mainstream conservative pundits he is one of the best. All in all, you would serve yourself better by just reading the intellectual giants on the right such as Milton Friedman or Thomas Sowell.
True, but Friedman's dead and Sowell is retiring.

Shapiro is a very bright guy, and even when one doesn't agree with him he always makes a good case for what he propounds.
 
Old 08-11-2017, 12:34 PM
 
Location: the Sticks
4,195 posts, read 1,043,756 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Unfortunately that is the case with many who think they are Libertarian.
Think they are Libertarian?
As in all in or all out?
 
Old 08-11-2017, 12:43 PM
 
10,098 posts, read 5,917,452 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
True, but Friedman's dead and Sowell is retiring.

Shapiro is a very bright guy, and even when one doesn't agree with him he always makes a good case for what he propounds.
Yes but I look at Shapiro as a sort of a pundit, a smart intelligent and well versed pundit, rather than an intellectual. And in this day and age people are looking for the better said argument, not necessarily the correct argument. I've heard Ben say some stuff that was wrong but he said it in a way that you would not only have to be well versed in the subject to combat him but also have to have a high vocabulary to make your argument sound better.

In that regard, Shapiro is a brilliant lawyer who I'd want representing me. If I want him teaching me about subjects such as politics, economics, philosophy, etc. I'd go to Sowell, Friedman, a seminary, etc.

Dinesh D'Souza is much better in my opinion, he's just not as a cool, likable or witty as Shapiro. And he's been tainted because of his past legal (as well personal/marital) issues.
 
Old 08-11-2017, 01:08 PM
 
59,764 posts, read 23,217,773 times
Reputation: 11653
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Think they are Libertarian?
As in all in or all out?
I can't speak for them and few believe everything the same but stupid interventionist wars are not a part of being a libertarian.
 
Old 08-11-2017, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
10,230 posts, read 2,643,555 times
Reputation: 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yes but I look at Shapiro as a sort of a pundit, a smart intelligent and well versed pundit, rather than an intellectual. And in this day and age people are looking for the better said argument, not necessarily the correct argument. I've heard Ben say some stuff that was wrong but he said it in a way that you would not only have to be well versed in the subject to combat him but also have to have a high vocabulary to make your argument sound better.

In that regard, Shapiro is a brilliant lawyer who I'd want representing me. If I want him teaching me about subjects such as politics, economics, philosophy, etc. I'd go to Sowell, Friedman, a seminary, etc.

Dinesh D'Souza is much better in my opinion, he's just not as a cool, likable or witty as Shapiro. And he's been tainted because of his past legal (as well personal/marital) issues.
You mean ex-convict Dinesh D'Souza? Lol 😂😂😂
 
Old 08-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Status: "taking 30 days off from C-D" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Austin
8,874 posts, read 4,831,152 times
Reputation: 9647
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
He is an ideology

belief over logic.


That is never good.
You haven't ever listened to Ben speak or debate if you believe that. Shapiro is about facts, not feelings and emotions.

As to what I think of Ben Shapiro per OP, I like his demeanor, humor, and logic. I disagree with him on abortion. He is a very smart conservative and probably has a future in politics if he doesn't get a big head and moves out of California. He's been around for a long time, but is now getting lots of press because of Politicon2017 debate with Young Turks Cenk.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-11-2017 at 05:14 PM..
 
Old 08-11-2017, 05:55 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
12,706 posts, read 14,080,374 times
Reputation: 22459
Ideologically I do not see eye to eye with him. But his debate logic is nearly flawless and he always seems to have data to back his arguments on instant recall. I have to respect him for than since it is so rare among politicians much less pundits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top