U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM

26,240 posts, read 16,404,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Misleading and false headline. This is NOT the work of "NSA Experts." The NSA did not produce this report and did not endorse it. These former government employees may have been paid by Trump supporters or are Trump supporters themselves. The credibility of this report is lacking.

Crowdstrike was paid by the DNC to examine their server (FBI was refused access).

How do we know the people at Crowdstrike aren't Clinton supporters?
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM

49,232 posts, read 24,258,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I read the Patrick Lawrence article in the Nation. I found the reasoning...slightly off. For some reason, his anonymous sources (whom I believe Lawrence doesn't actually know the identities of) keep using the bandwidth speed of 22.7 megabytes per second. That's peculiar, because every time I've heard the network people in my business talk about setting up, configuring and trouble-shooting bandwidth, they always talk about megabits per second. Why are Lawrence's anonymous experts using a strange bandwidth unit?

The other thing is that someone else has already critiqued Lawrence's article. While the critic, one Brian Feldman of New York Magazine, points out that Lawrence hides behind a lot of confusing technobabble in order to sound authoritative, Feldman also points out that 22 megabytes per second translates to about 176 megabits per second, and states that such bandwith is already available to all enterprise level entities such as the Democratic National Committee or the Russian Federal Security Service.

One last thing, here's the Wiki detailing the various Bandwidth speeds available today. Anyone else notice that the Wireless 802.11n and the Wireless 802.11ac protocols both support bandwidth far greater than what Patrick Lawrence claims is available, and is also far greater than Lawrence's claimed hack download speed?

The tires on my truck are rated for over 200 mph.
Tell my truck, it can go over 200 mph now.

It may be able to handle it, but that does not mean they can produce it, and according to the experts, it is not possible yet.

Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM

15,987 posts, read 14,217,484 times
Nobody ever believed Russia was involved with the DNC hacking anyway. I think the russians were ordered to try to contact Trump but still had minimal interactions with him and whatever they tried to do to set him up was a fail.
But even if they are innocent of influencing our election, they ARE guilty of colluding with our Deep State and both should be held accountable.

Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM

3,920 posts, read 940,421 times
I'm actually tired of hearing about the Russians and the attempt to sway an election. At the end of the day Trump is still the President. The USA got a taste of our own medicine. How many governments have we interfered with? The fact the Dems are crying is laughable, given their insistence that voter fraud isn't an issue and that our election process is safe.
Hillary lost. She lost because she was slightly worse than Trump.

Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM

33,509 posts, read 33,213,465 times
Quote:
Misleading and false headline. This is NOT the work of "NSA Experts." The NSA did not produce this report and did not endorse it. These former government employees may have been paid by Trump supporters or are Trump supporters themselves. The credibility of this report is lacking.
Some quick research says this group formed in 2003 because of what they felt was disinformation from the WH about WMD. Can we assume you would not refer to them as partisan hacks over that?

2,106 posts, read 708,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Crowdstrike was paid by the DNC to examine their server (FBI was refused access).

How do we know the people at Crowdstrike aren't Clinton supporters?
If you want to discredit Crowdstrike, that's fine. A third party, UK intelligence, warned the US that the Russians had hacked the DNC servers.

British intelligence among first to sound alarm ov er Russia’s US hacks - France 24

3,727 posts, read 2,543,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Interesting..but I'll wait for a more reputable source..Right-wing sites have an ax to grind..and can no more be trusted to tell the truth than Trump.

The Nation, right-wing? Hardly. You may want to use this link to check out the leanings of of publications. Or, you know, Google it.

Well, maybe right wing. The magazine did endorse Bernie.

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM

19,243 posts, read 10,793,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
WCH, I've been in IT for 30+ years. I believe that you're an auto service technician.

Do you think I should listen to you, or to the network admins I've worked with over the years?

Because your post contains more than a few flaws, and it would be uncomfortable for you if I point them out.
you are correct that I have been doing mechanical work for over 40 years...now a maintenance supervisor.... but I have also been a computer geek for about 40+ years too...ever since HS...and back then it was cardpunch machines... took Pascal, Fortran, Cobol, and machine language a very long time ago, my cobol final was an entire case of cards... we used a Digital PDP11(if my memory serves) mainframe with 12" magnetic tape....a very long time ago

I am not pretending to be an expert... but these sites say that my opinion was very close to being accurate

Which countries have the fastest internet: CHART - Business Insider

it shows the average across the usa (as of 8 months ago is 16.3Mb/s...we here in the USA are very slow compared to other countries like South Korea, what have an average speed of 26Mb/s

these are the average actual usage speeds, not a connection speed or a projected max speed

btw, for those whom may not know the diff, when looking at what some of us are posting...small b is bit , where a big B would be Byte

Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM

2,106 posts, read 708,753 times
British intelligence in 2015 warned the US that the Russians has hacked the DNC server. The FBI confirmed that finding.

So now we're supposed to reject what the British and the FBI said based on some wacky theory about download speed.

This new report reeks of fake news.

Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM

57,904 posts, read 22,231,784 times
Quote:
British intelligence in 2015 warned the US that the Russians has hacked the DNC server. The FBI confirmed that finding.

So now we're supposed to reject what the British and the FBI said based on some wacky theory about download speed.

This new report reeks of fake news.
If the DNC had been warned in 2015 but still did what they did, who is the fool here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies