Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government give the choice between an ID to drive or one to drink?
Yes 3 13.04%
No 20 86.96%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 06:37 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

With around 10,000 people in the US killed a year in DUI accidents at the cost of around $200 billion annually (
https://www.intoxalock.com/ignition-...ces/statistics ), would you support the government giving you the choice of an ID for driving OR an ID to buy alcohol?

Alcohol wouldn't be banned, you'd just have to choose whether you want an ID to buy alcohol and take public transportation or an ID to drive but you couldn't buy alcohol.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:40 PM

776 posts, read 394,530 times
Yes. America's worship of cars and acceptance of car accidents kills more people than murder, war, disease, etc. combined.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:58 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
No and DUI shouldnt be a crime.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:08 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
With around 10,000 people in the US killed a year in DUI accidents at the cost of around $200 billion annually (
https://www.intoxalock.com/ignition-...ces/statistics ), would you support the government giving you the choice of an ID for driving OR an ID to buy alcohol?

Alcohol wouldn't be banned, you'd just have to choose whether you want an ID to buy alcohol and take public transportation or an ID to drive but you couldn't buy alcohol.

While I understand and respect your premise here, Pedro, the two subjects are totally unrelated and exclusive. Just because I buy a case of Corona occasionally doesn't mean I am going to drink it and drive, I may just drink it at home and never leave until the next day.

But drinking and driving IS a huge problem. At almost every bar that is letting out at 2 am, or even restaurants where someone had a few drinks with dinner, people who are somewhat impaired are getting behind the wheel. We have ALL done it at one time or another.......not that it makes it right, but it happens.

Unfortunately, there is no perfect world. In a perfect world, everyone would only consume alcohol if they were not going to drive anywhere for many hours, but that is not realistic. I may go to a nice restaurant and want a beer with my dinner, and 99.99999 % of the time I will not be a danger on the roads. But every once in a while, something goes wrong and people are hurt or killed.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:25 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
While I understand and respect your premise here, Pedro, the two subjects are totally unrelated and exclusive. Just because I buy a case of Corona occasionally doesn't mean I am going to drink it and drive, I may just drink it at home and never leave until the next day.

But drinking and driving IS a huge problem. At almost every bar that is letting out at 2 am, or even restaurants where someone had a few drinks with dinner, people who are somewhat impaired are getting behind the wheel. We have ALL done it at one time or another.......not that it makes it right, but it happens.

Unfortunately, there is no perfect world. In a perfect world, everyone would only consume alcohol if they were not going to drive anywhere for many hours, but that is not realistic. I may go to a nice restaurant and want a beer with my dinner, and 99.99999 % of the time I will not be a danger on the roads. But every once in a while, something goes wrong and people are hurt or killed.
So, 10,000 deaths don't mean that much to you?

Old 08-11-2017, 06:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:

That would be a fairly dumb way to resolve the problem. We have so many DIU deaths because we are allowing people to drive drunk. Period. Cars could be equipped with sensors which prevent the car from starting if the driver is drunk, or we can add DIU check-points. The SC has already rules it is not unconstitutional.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:37 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That would be a fairly dumb way to resolve the problem. We have so many DIU deaths because we are allowing people to drive drunk. Period. Cars could be equipped with sensors which prevent the car from starting if the driver is drunk, or we can add DIU check-points. The SC has already rules it is not unconstitutional.
Or being more serious and harsher with the punishments for this crime.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:37 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
People who chose an alcohol license would still drive. How many times do you see a convicted drunk driver picked up for DUI again. And again. Until he kills someone.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:42 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
So, 10,000 deaths don't mean that much to you?
You sound like one of those leftists who argues that if you support repealing Obamacare then you don't care about the 20 million people who would theoretically lose their free insurance.

I say your proposal is a bad...actually horrible idea, for many reasons. Many of them have already been mentioned. The one that I will point out is that you'd be creating many new criminals. No you are not talking about straight up prohibition but you are talking about something that would effectively be prohibition for millions of working Americans and/or Americans with families and children or just a desire to live a mobile life. Millions of people would either pick the auto license and continue to drink or pick the liquor license and continue to drive.

Our prisons are full enough.

I hope you just have some clever point to make here, like about pot or something, and you're not really serious about this.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:47 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
People who chose an alcohol license would still drive. How many times do you see a convicted drunk driver picked up for DUI again. And again. Until he kills someone.
I agree. This idea from the OP is just another form of prohibition, and we have proven to ourselves over and over that prohibition doesn't work.

As technology continues to churn out new innovations, the chances of finding a better solution increases as time goes by. I recall a time when 50,000 were being killed on the roads every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies