U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 02:57 PM

20,181 posts, read 9,034,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not much would happen, unless there was intense solar flare activity right at that moment. Apollo astronauts spent days outside the Van Allen belts.

But you're essentially right, radiation shielding is the biggest unsolved problem. Pretty much everything else can be solved with technology that we have, albeit at great expense.
There are solutions, both by artificially generated magnetic shields, and by sheer mass.

Additionally going to mars would advance the technology we need to do asteroid mining. Which would have immense value and benefit to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 02:57 PM

5,578 posts, read 4,399,335 times
I think it's primarily a job for sophisticated autonomous robots, at least as far as the next 30-40 years. The logistics of getting humans there and keeping them alive are prohibitively daunting.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:59 PM

20,181 posts, read 9,034,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I think it's primarily a job for sophisticated autonomous robots, at least as far as the next 30-40 years. The logistics of getting humans there and keeping them alive are prohibitively daunting.
Elon musk is looking at 6 years from now.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:01 PM

27,945 posts, read 14,878,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerantlocal View Post
This is so stupid, from the time frame of travel to space radiation its just a waste of money. The gov. could not take care of NOLA when it flooded. Now it wants to put someone on a planet that has no air or may not even have water? This is dumb folly.

Contact NASA immediately.

They need your insight.

Carry on.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:04 PM

6,626 posts, read 3,059,729 times
Quote:
This is so stupid, from the time frame of travel to space radiation its just a waste of money. The gov. could not take care of NOLA when it flooded. Now it wants to put someone on a planet that has no air or may not even have water? This is dumb folly.
Are you referencing plans to go to Mars?

Old 08-11-2017, 03:07 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,260,501 times
A human being walking on mars would at least be a a moment when the world is united in awe and wonder, something that I believe is sorely needed these days. I'd say considering NASA's paltry budget, that'd be money well spent.

Plus, it could inspire a new generation to pursue STEM fields as a career option.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:09 PM

32,893 posts, read 11,823,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
For the calculations I don't work out in my head, I use pen and paper. That is still the most durable and dependable means of recording anything. And as far as travel to Mars is concerned, it's been shown that solar and cosmic rays would fry the brains of anyone traveling there. Read the article at this link:....
Not if they use nuclear powered space craft. Trip to Mars would take a couple of weeks.

Technology was developed to do this in the 1960s.

We could have been there by the 1980s. Why didn't we go?

See Whitey On the Moon.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:15 PM

5,578 posts, read 4,399,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Elon musk is looking at 6 years from now.
I know, and I still think it's prohibitively daunting. I don't know what it gets us if we do get squishy air-breathers on that rock in the next twenty years. Humans are profoundly poorly adapted to the trip and the stay.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:19 PM

25,458 posts, read 12,782,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Additionally going to mars would advance the technology we need to do asteroid mining. Which would have immense value and benefit to us.
Now we're talking! - I'd much rather skip Mars' gravity wells and go hit up some asteroids.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:19 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,522,831 times
Quote:
Lol, yes, because I'll clearly take the opinion of some random nobody with an ax to grind against the "stupid government" over the experts at NASA! Right...

Tell me, do you enjoy your cell phone? Yes? Than stop grumbling about the space program. Oh, and if you enjoy having infrastructure and a military, stop complaining the "stupid government."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies