U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 03:19 PM

26,750 posts, read 20,090,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
For the calculations I don't work out in my head, I use pen and paper. That is still the most durable and dependable means of recording anything. And as far as travel to Mars is concerned, it's been shown that solar and cosmic rays would fry the brains of anyone traveling there. Read the article at this link:

NASA awards UC Irvine $9 million to study underlying mechanisms of ?space brain? | School of Medicine | University of California, Irvine

The preliminary research by this scientist has already shown that 90% of the brain's memory functions would be destroyed, just during the trip to Mars. Only if some currently non-existing electronic or magnetic shielding system were developed, that would envelop a spacecraft, could a manned Mars voyage be possible. If it failed, for even a few moments---------------.
radiation shielding could be low tech. since we have to carry all the water we will need for a round trip to mars, you put the water in the outer sin of the ship, and that will shield the ships occupants from teh radiation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I think it's primarily a job for sophisticated autonomous robots, at least as far as the next 30-40 years. The logistics of getting humans there and keeping them alive are prohibitively daunting.
we do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard-JFK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 03:44 PM

5,541 posts, read 4,306,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
we do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard-JFK
It's a nice quote. I used to be pretty gung-ho for Mars habitation. I read the Mars Trilogy some years back. My thinking has evolved. I say we should design much more advanced robots than what we've sent so far. I say we should deploy a fleet of autonomous drones with high-def 360 3D cameras and LIDAR systems (so that humans safe on earth could have a virtual presence on Mars) along with high-functioning purpose-made AI research robots.

If the trip to Titan and Mars were roughly equidistant, I feel like we would only pay Mars about 20% the attention we'd lavish on Titan.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:47 PM

1,499 posts, read 2,235,755 times
Quote:
It's a nice quote. I used to be pretty gung-ho for Mars habitation. I read the Mars Trilogy some years back. My thinking has evolved. I say we should design much more advanced robots than what we've sent so far. I say we should deploy a fleet of autonomous drones with high-def 360 3D cameras and LIDAR systems (so that humans safe on earth could have a virtual presence on Mars) along with high-functioning purpose-made AI research robots.

If the trip to Titan and Mars were roughly equidistant, I feel like we would only pay Mars about 20% the attention we'd lavish on Titan.
Same with Europa. I'd looove to see what's under the ice there.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:48 PM

1,175 posts, read 493,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerantlocal View Post
This is so stupid, from the time frame of travel to space radiation its just a waste of money. The gov. could not take care of NOLA when it flooded. Now it wants to put someone on a planet that has no air or may not even have water? This is dumb folly.

What if all the information you've been fed over the years with regard to Mars is actually mistruths/falsehoods and disinformation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgOU7eOaXJc

Old 08-11-2017, 03:50 PM

5,541 posts, read 4,306,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Same with Europa. I'd looove to see what's under the ice there.
Yup. Have you seen The Europa Report?

Old 08-11-2017, 03:52 PM

1,499 posts, read 2,235,755 times
Quote:
Yup. Have you seen The Europa Report?
I have but it's been a few years. I remember thinking it was alright. Alien and Aliens are still by far my favorite hostile alien/creature feature flicks though.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:08 PM

4,173 posts, read 1,065,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Elon Musk is looking at 6 years from now.

We'll see if Musk flies on that first Mars mission, himself.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:21 PM

1,595 posts, read 831,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I have but it's been a few years. I remember thinking it was alright. Alien and Aliens are still by far my favorite hostile alien/creature feature flicks though.
I thought sunshine was a good movie too dealing with space, also Pandorum was really good too

Old 08-11-2017, 04:55 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,039,882 times
Interesting thread. The people you'd normally think are ignorant of the facts are actually making cogent arguments and the people who think they're scientifically literate, are not.

Mars is a dead, poisonous, ball of rock that gets constant solar radiation. It has almost no atmosphere and no magnetosphere. The soil is literally poisonous and could never be used by humans for horticulture. To survive on that planet would mean that the people going there would have to engineer a massive underground habitat just to avoid getting their dna bombarded with solar radiation (see no magnetosphere). Otherwise, a trip to Mars would be a cruel death sentence.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:59 PM

1,676 posts, read 529,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Interesting thread. The people you'd normally think are ignorant of the facts are actually making cogent arguments and the people who think they're scientifically literate, are not.

Mars is a dead, poisonous, ball of rock that gets constant solar radiation. It has almost no atmosphere and no magnetosphere. The soil is literally poisonous and could never be used by humans for horticulture. To survive on that planet would mean that the people going there would have to engineer a massive underground habitat just to avoid getting their dna bombarded with solar radiation (see no magnetosphere). Otherwise, a trip to Mars would be a cruel death sentence.
True, but I might leave my parent's basement some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies