U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2017, 03:34 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, La. USA
4,840 posts, read 2,095,270 times
Reputation: 1432

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Man won't be stepping on any planet in our lifetimes. We can't get to the moon let alone a planet that comes within 34.58 million miles from us every 17 years. And another star system will never happen. We just don't have the speed needed or a way to bend space.
NASA has plans to send humans to Mars in the next 15 to 20 years.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/journey-to-mars-overview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2017, 04:13 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
4,744 posts, read 1,409,136 times
Reputation: 2881
NASA now works more closely with others agencies such as the European Space Agency (ESA), and more joint working in some areas can lower at least spread some of the costs. The ESA also has agreements with Canada and Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 04:14 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
32,480 posts, read 29,446,423 times
Reputation: 45616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerantlocal View Post
This is so stupid, from the time frame of travel to space radiation its just a waste of money. The gov. could not take care of NOLA when it flooded. Now it wants to put someone on a planet that has no air or may not even have water? This is dumb folly.
A dumb folly was making NASA's mission Muslim Outreach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 05:01 AM
 
8,062 posts, read 6,117,136 times
Reputation: 2745
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
NASA has plans to send humans to Mars in the next 15 to 20 years.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/journey-to-mars-overview
Been hearen that for 20 years. Not gonna happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 05:02 AM
 
8,062 posts, read 6,117,136 times
Reputation: 2745
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
silly rhymes dont mean you are right my friend. with the technology we have right now, we could reach 20% the speed of light. ion propulsion makes for a good long distance rocket engine. and that means 28 years to alpha centauri.

as for warp drive, how do you know? as i said the math has already been worked out. we just need for the technology to catch up now. i think you are far too closed minded to be making posts in this thread, but be my guest and make as big a fool of yourself as you can.



all very true. the thing about warp drive though, being as the speed of light is the technical speed limit of the universe, we are going to have to use various tricks to get us past the speed of light, and warp drive is one of those tricks.
20% won't cut it my man. Most systems are 100's of LY's away ray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 05:07 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, La. USA
4,840 posts, read 2,095,270 times
Reputation: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
And another star system will never happen. We just don't have the speed needed or a way to bend space.
One day humans will travel to another star even if future technology does not evolve much further than the technology of today, its just that the spacecraft will take 1,000's to 10,000's of years to reach its destination.

Generation after generation will live and die aboard the spacecraft, the ship will have its own food sources (gardens, fish, edible insects, ex.ex.) And along the way the ship will stop at asteroids that contain ice and metals to bring on needed supplies. And asteroids and other space bodies will be made into bases for other future spacecraft. And the ship will carry frozen early stage human embryos to avoid inbreeding and populate the new planet.

And most likely future technology will allow spacecraft to travel 10%-20%+ of the speed of light and allow robotic travelers to quickly find habitable planets and then slower spacecraft carrying humans will travel to that planet.

And with high numbers of manned spacecraft going into space, man made artificial bases along the route, asteroid bases, and rogue planet bases the space between planets will not be all empty space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_travel


And if past people were willing to travel 1,000's of miles across open oceans in wooden sailing ships surely people will be willing to go on interplanetary voyages (personally I think I would perhaps rather go on a future interplanetary spacecraft than a past wooden sailing ship going across the Atlantic ocean. Those past ocean travelers had no idea of whether a huge storm would hit their ship, and I think a person would be less likely to get killed on a future interplanetary journey than a past wooden sailing ship journey.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 05:09 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
4,820 posts, read 1,649,191 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerantlocal View Post
This is so stupid, from the time frame of travel to space radiation its just a waste of money. The gov. could not take care of NOLA when it flooded. Now it wants to put someone on a planet that has no air or may not even have water? This is dumb folly.
The plan is:
Beyond Stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 05:10 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
4,820 posts, read 1,649,191 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
One day humans will travel to another star even if future technology does not evolve much further than the technology of today, its just that the spacecraft will take 1,000's to 10,000's of years to reach its destination.

Generation after generation will live and die aboard the spacecraft, the ship will have its own food sources (gardens, fish, edible insects, ex.ex.) And along the way the ship will stop at asteroids that contain ice and metals to bring on needed supplies. And asteroids and other space bodies will be made into bases for other future spacecraft. And the ship will carry frozen early stage human embryos to avoid inbreeding and populate the new planet.

And most likely future technology will allow spacecraft to travel 10%-20%+ of the speed of light and allow robotic travelers to quickly find habitable planets and then slower spacecraft carrying humans will travel to that planet.

And with high numbers of manned spacecraft going into space, man made artificial bases along the route, asteroid bases, and rogue planet bases the space between planets will not be all empty space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_travel


And if past people were willing to travel 1,000's of miles across open oceans in wooden sailing ships surely people will be willing to go on interplanetary voyages (personally I think I would perhaps rather go on a future interplanetary spacecraft than a past wooden sailing ship going across the Atlantic ocean. Those past ocean travelers had no idea of whether a huge storm would hit their ship, and I think a person would be less likely to get killed on a future interplanetary journey than a past wooden sailing ship journey.)
Could not disagree more. Humans will never travel to another star and I doubt we ever get to Mars, mainly because there's no reason to do so and who would be so stupid to try.
We've got plenty of work to do on this planet, which is where the efforts should be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 05:29 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, La. USA
4,840 posts, read 2,095,270 times
Reputation: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Humans will never travel to another star and I doubt we ever get to Mars, mainly because there's no reason to do so and who would be so stupid to try.
One day in the future a huge asteroid will hit Earth and end all life on this planet, or energy from a exploding star will hit Earth and end all life on this planet, and one day our sun will cease to exist. And humans must move to a planet around another star to ensure the survival of our species.

Quote:
We've got plenty of work to do on this planet, which is where the efforts should be made.
You sound like someone on the TV show "Star Trek the Next Generation." But you are correct "We've got plenty of work to do on this planet."

Have a good one BeerGeek40,
Chad.

Last edited by chad3; 08-12-2017 at 05:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 06:24 AM
 
8,062 posts, read 6,117,136 times
Reputation: 2745
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Could not disagree more. Humans will never travel to another star and I doubt we ever get to Mars, mainly because there's no reason to do so and who would be so stupid to try.
We've got plenty of work to do on this planet, which is where the efforts should be made.
I agree. This is not SPACE1999 , at least their Eagles could do a speed of 8.2 and even at that speed it would take 8 weeks to get to Mars and 879,000 years to reach 4.3 LY's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top