U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:39 AM

7,944 posts, read 1,586,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
BTW, you might as well quote the National Enquirer as the NY Times. They are both full of propaganda crap and best used in the bathroom to wipe.
Also BTW...

Truth be known, I had just paid a visit to my mother and saw that NOW HIRING sign, and then I coincidentally read that NYT article the next day. I read from many various news sources every morning, which is why it is easy for me to usually provide at least some substantiation for my opinions here.

You on the other hand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:40 AM

17,552 posts, read 18,608,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Having watched the care givers help my father in a memory care center while he suffered from Alzheimer's, I came to greatly appreciate these people, many who couldn't even speak English. Now my mother is also at a retirement center (assisted living), and when I paid a visit a couple of days ago there was a big sign out front I had never seen there before. "NOW HIRING." They can't find the help they need to staff the facility...

I've made this argument before, and now I see it's beginning to happen. We're finding the problem Trump and his supporters thought they were fixing was actually not as much a problem for us as much as it was a solution. A solution we were apparently not able to admit or legitimize. We made them out to be "rapists and murderers" instead and made them unwelcome even though they were doing all the work we can't do on our own and don't want to do!

"You might consider, for starters, the enormous demand for low-skilled workers, which could well go unmet as the baby boom generation ages out of the labor force, eroding the labor supply. Eight of the 15 occupations expected to experience the fastest growth between 2014 and 2024 personal care and home health aides, food preparation workers, janitors and the like require no schooling at all."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/b...nomy-jobs.html

Now what?
There is not a single illegal working at any of the care facilities/retirement homes in my area and they are staffed up. And I'd bet the farm there are more illegals in jails and prisons than there are working in retirement homes or other job American can, will and actually are doing.

If your particular retirement home is having difficulty employing legal workers something is wrong. I would be concerned about my parents being in a facility that is staffed largely by illegal aliens.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:42 AM

28,584 posts, read 26,446,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There is not a single illegal working at any of the care facilities/retirement homes in my area and they are staffed up. And I'd bet the farm there are more illegals in jails and prisons than there are working in retirement homes or other job American can, will and actually are doing.

If your particular retirement home is having difficulty employing legal workers something is wrong. I would be concerned about my parents being in a facility that is staffed largely by illegal aliens.
^ this

Old 08-11-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Once there are no takers for stoop labor or other onerous tasks, Agent Orange will simply change his position. His blind followers will be fine with that. He has NO core principles. None. Remember, he was a liberal Manhattan Democrat. And so were all his grown kids....they couldn't even vote for him in the NY GOP Primary because they were still registered Dems.
Right, and while I am questioned about the help my father got in a memory care facility, apparently the questions about the help Trump has hired at his resorts are of no matter to Trump supporters. Truly a marvel to witness...

Old 08-11-2017, 11:44 AM

19,073 posts, read 13,528,864 times
Quote:
Having watched the care givers help my father in a memory care center while he suffered from Alzheimer's, I came to greatly appreciate these people, many who couldn't even speak English. Now my mother is also at a retirement center (assisted living), and when I paid a visit a couple of days ago there was a big sign out front I had never seen there before. "NOW HIRING." They can't find the help they need to staff the facility...

I've made this argument before, and now I see it's beginning to happen. We're finding the problem Trump and his supporters thought they were fixing was actually not as much a problem for us as much as it was a solution. A solution we were apparently not able to admit or legitimize. We made them out to be "rapists and murderers" instead and made them unwelcome even though they were doing all the work we can't do on our own and don't want to do!

"You might consider, for starters, the enormous demand for low-skilled workers, which could well go unmet as the baby boom generation ages out of the labor force, eroding the labor supply. Eight of the 15 occupations expected to experience the fastest growth between 2014 and 2024 personal care and home health aides, food preparation workers, janitors and the like require no schooling at all."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/b...nomy-jobs.html

Now what?
Oh break out the violin!

Great, we need care givers? Fantastic. American CITIZENS can now train for those jobs and get them. How much of a care giver can you be if you can't even communicate with the patient?

Was this supposed to make me feel bad or guilty? Well, it failed. It actually made me feel good. Getting rid of illegals opens up jobs for American citizens who want to work. Thanks for sharing your anecdotal evidence to provide proof of that.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No, you are absolutely wrong. You would love to think that there would be Americans lining up for the jobs many people from other countries take, but they are not. Hell, we can't even get us spoiled Americans to show up for easy, well paying jobs.

Fruit and vegetables are rotting in the fields.........where are the Americans who could be doing that work ? Lawn maintenance people work 12 hour days in the scorching sun, how many Americans do you see out there ? We have gotten fat and lazy and too good to demean ourselves with "lowly" physical labor jobs like those.

If you pulled every alien, legal and otherwise, out of this country, you would see devastating results in productivity and the economy. You only think Americans would do these jobs, history tells us just the opposite. I've worked side by side with illegals, and they show up, work hard all day, and only want to have a better life, a life that comes from hard work.
True this, I can actually confirm having operated my own employment agency...

We did quite well hiring only legal workers BTW. This is why we were chosen to participate in the beta eVerify program, but the vast majority of those we hired for minimum wage jobs in the area were Hispanic. We couldn't get typical white Americans to take these jobs no matter what we did to recruit workers. Couldn't get them to even apply!

Old 08-11-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:

For the love of taking the time to read and consider...

I never said it was illegals working at the facility where my father was cared for. I was asked if they were illegal.

The article I provided is not about illegals.

You might be right about about some you think, but I would definitely not "bet the farm" there are more illegals in jail than working "stoop jobs" all over America. Whether or not that's a big problem..., I'd say what folks don't know about all this is the bigger problem.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh break out the violin!

Great, we need care givers? Fantastic. American CITIZENS can now train for those jobs and get them. How much of a care giver can you be if you can't even communicate with the patient?

Was this supposed to make me feel bad or guilty? Well, it failed. It actually made me feel good. Getting rid of illegals opens up jobs for American citizens who want to work. Thanks for sharing your anecdotal evidence to provide proof of that.
Hopeless...

NO ONE could communicate with my father! Don't be ignorant.

There are countless accounts of how these jobs are impossible to fill outside of the low-skilled immigrant labor pool that -- right or wrong -- has been doing this work for an awfully long time now. Put down your violin and start paying attention to those accounts, or walk into any typical care facility anywhere and look around at the staff. Anyone you know? Any with the same skin color as you? Of course I'm assuming you are a white person (and no doubt an older white male). Am I right again?

Old 08-11-2017, 11:58 AM

17,552 posts, read 18,608,437 times
Quote:
I wonder how many other people didn't even bother to read the article or consider the facts of this matter. As one who owned an employment agency, I had little choice but to consider and deal with the actual facts of these matters...
Are you kidding me. There are no facts in the article.
Did you read the actual articles that article sited.
BTW it wasnt about illegal aliens working lowed skilled jobs but legal first and second generation immigrants were second generation immigrants are now competing with natural born citizens for skilled jobs.

Why do you believe ALL citizen are working in high paying carriers and STEM fields.
Lots of Americans work in food service, health care, construction and janitorial type jobs. And lots of these jobs now only pay minimum wage or slightly above.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding me. There are no facts in the article.
Did you read the actual articles that article sited.
BTW it wasnt about illegal aliens working lowed skilled jobs but legal first and second generation immigrants were second generation immigrants are now competing with natural born citizens for skilled jobs.

Why do you believe ALL citizen are working in high paying carriers and STEM fields.
Lots of Americans work in food service, health care, construction and janitorial type jobs. And lots of these jobs now only pay minimum wage or slightly above.
Is the following not a fact as far as you are concerned or at least worth considering as such?!?

"Eight of the 15 occupations expected to experience the fastest growth between 2014 and 2024 personal care and home health aides, food preparation workers, janitors and the like require no schooling at all."

I know what the article is about! More importantly, I know a little about this topic first hand having also hired thousands of workers in this category. How about some facts or knowledge you might have to the contrary?

I never made a comment related to your statement captured in bold above! Who is kidding who here?

"Lots of Americans?" As if immigrants aren't Americans?

Of course lots of Americans work these jobs, but more or less are immigrants (legal or illegal) depending on which jobs you focus upon. Most people working on farms picking vegetables are immigrants for example, by far.

Here's another "anecdote" repeated all over America - by American employers - like I once was, that is worth considering, if you want to consider this subject objectively that is...

Why your summer getaway is staffed by foreign workers | PBS NewsHour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies