U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:06 AM

28,029 posts, read 25,942,114 times

Advertisements

We hired a bonded licensed in house car taker for my Dad when he got Alzheimers. That way I could keep an eye out on my camera system. No way was my Dad going into a rest home. Bad things happen there, especially someone with extended dementia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:06 AM

17,194 posts, read 18,342,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
For the love of taking the time to read and consider...

I never said it was illegals working at the facility where my father was cared for. I was asked if they were illegal.

The article I provided is not about illegals.

You might be right about about some you think, but I would definitely not "bet the farm" there are more illegals in jail than working "stoop jobs" all over America. Whether or not that's a big problem..., I'd say what folks don't know about all this is the bigger problem.

"Having watched the care givers help my father in a memory care center while he suffered from Alzheimer's, I came to greatly appreciate these people, many who couldn't even speak English.
We're finding the problem Trump and his supporters thought they were fixing was actually not as much a problem for us as much as it was a solution. A solution we were apparently not able to admit or legitimize. We made them out to be "rapists and murderers" instead and made them unwelcome even though they were doing all the work we can't do on our own and don't want to do!"

So your saying legal immigrants dont speak English and Trump and his supporters are trying to deport legal immigrants?

If you are not referring to illegal aliens you sure wrote in such a way to suggest it.

I think 2% are working "stoop jobs". Illegals account for 37% in federal prisons.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:07 AM

7,237 posts, read 6,359,326 times
A nursing home was recently constructed in my area. They are advertising in the local paper for a night shift caregiver. The job pays minimum wage.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:07 AM

6,936 posts, read 2,313,188 times
It's always the same old story with you guys. Lump together aliens with illegals. This discussion is about illegals and not legal aliens but you and others promoting illegals can't seem to grasp that the two are very different and don't belong in the same conversation.
You don't have a monopoly on knowing illegals either. I live in So Cal and know quite a few, see them everyday. I never said they didn't work hard did I? That's never been the argument so once again, you're making up your own narrative. I also show up to work every day and I'm not an illegal. Are you going to give me some kind of medal for that or do you need to be an illegal to get praised for coming to work everyday?
Fruits and vegetables are not rotting in the fields because there aren't enough people to pick them and if they were, they should just rot where they are. Farmers that can't make a living by hiring LEGAL workers, American or foreign need to go out of business and allow others to take over that can grow crops without exploiting workers. Last time I checked, there were fruits and vegetables of every kind and lots of them at the grocery store.
The entire world wants a better life. Why don't you tell that excuse to people from India who want to come here and work but have to wait in line and do it the legal way instead of sneaking over the border? What's your excuse for giving people south of the border the upper hand and a free pass while others obey our immigration laws. I'd really like to hear it.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:13 AM

7,493 posts, read 1,451,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We hired a bonded licensed in house car taker for my Dad when he got Alzheimers. That way I could keep an eye out on my camera system. No way was my Dad going into a rest home. Bad things happen there, especially someone with extended dementia.
We did too, until it was no longer possible for reasons I won't bother to explain further. Explaining further doesn't seem to work with too many people anyway...

I need to sign off now, since I've wasted enough time with this sort of thing again this morning, but I'll just add there are "horror stories" about this no matter which way you go. Many sad cases caught on camera, many not. We're glad to believe our father was treated well where he was his last years, better than he could have been at home with my mother, and there was my mother to consider as well. Again, why bother explaining further, and again my point or focus with this thread was not illegal workers but immigrant workers.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Is the following not a fact as far as you are concerned or at least worth considering as such?!?

"Eight of the 15 occupations expected to experience the fastest growth between 2014 and 2024 personal care and home health aides, food preparation workers, janitors and the like require no schooling at all."

I know what the article is about! More importantly, I know a little about this topic first hand having also hired thousands of workers in this category. How about some facts or knowledge you might have to the contrary?

I never made a comment related to your statement captured in bold above! Who is kidding who here?

"Lots of Americans?" As if immigrants aren't Americans?

Of course lots of Americans work these jobs, but more or less are immigrants (legal or illegal) depending on which jobs you focus upon. Most people working on farms picking vegetables are immigrants for example, by far.
What has growing occupations requiring no "schooling" to do with who is fulfilling these positions?
Where are the facts there are more immigrants (not illegals) working in home health care, chefs, cooks, food prep, and janitors?

You made the declaration it is on you to prove it.
If the immigrants are Americans.........then these Americans are doing jobs Americans wont do, according to you.

Most people working on farms picking vegetables are illegal. Look up all the articles on the problem of farmers hiring visa workers all 2%.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
"Having watched the care givers help my father in a memory care center while he suffered from Alzheimer's, I came to greatly appreciate these people, many who couldn't even speak English.
We're finding the problem Trump and his supporters thought they were fixing was actually not as much a problem for us as much as it was a solution. A solution we were apparently not able to admit or legitimize. We made them out to be "rapists and murderers" instead and made them unwelcome even though they were doing all the work we can't do on our own and don't want to do!"

So your saying legal immigrants dont speak English and Trump and his supporters are trying to deport legal immigrants?

If you are not referring to illegal aliens you sure wrote in such a way to suggest it.

I think 2% are working "stoop jobs". Illegals account for 37% in federal prisons.
As with Trump and most his supporters, there is what you "think" and then there are the facts!

Just FYI as well. My mother is a legal immigrant, couldn't speak a word of English when she got her first job here in America before my father got his, and my father spoke fluent English and Spanish. Also a fact.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
As with Trump and most his supporters, there is what you "think" and then there are the facts!

Just FYI as well. My mother is a legal immigrant, couldn't speak a word of English when she got her first job here in America before my father got his, and my father spoke fluent English and Spanish. Also a fact.
Well you have failed to show any facts.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What has growing occupations requiring no "schooling" to do with who is fulfilling these positions?
Where are the facts there are more immigrants (not illegals) working in home health care, chefs, cooks, food prep, and janitors?

You made the declaration it is on you to prove it.
If the immigrants are Americans.........then these Americans are doing jobs Americans wont do, according to you.

Most people working on farms picking vegetables are illegal. Look up all the articles on the problem of farmers hiring visa workers all 2%.
I've really got to sign off now, but I didn't make any "declarations." I simply offered my personal experience and observations along with something I read, for further consideration and comment as these threads are intended.

I didn't write there are more immigrants working in health care, etc., but from what I have seen first hand, this is the case. My experience owning an employment agency also allowed me to witness entire warehouses full of people preparing foods, packing things, "stoop" low-paying jobs, filled primarily with Hispanics. One of my biggest problems was competition from other employment agencies who were hiring illegal aliens (and filling all those job postings) without concern for whether they were legal or not! I'm not making this up!!!

I don't need to learn much more about the farm workers or the visa problems. Trump and his supporters do!

Old 08-11-2017, 11:24 AM

2,061 posts, read 635,449 times
Quote:
For the love of taking the time to read and consider...

I never said it was illegals working at the facility where my father was cared for. I was asked if they were illegal.

The article I provided is not about illegals.

You might be right about about some you think, but I would definitely not "bet the farm" there are more illegals in jail than working "stoop jobs" all over America. Whether or not that's a big problem..., I'd say what folks don't know about all this is the bigger problem.
I was also wondering why everyone assumed you were talking about illegal immigrants...

I'm not sure it's even possible for illegal immigrants to do healthcare-related jobs, since there are registration/accreditation requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies