U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:25 AM

7,525 posts, read 1,459,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well you have failed to show any facts.
Like getting the horse to water and not able to make it drink?

I have provided some facts, more than some, but apparently Trump supporters have their own version of what is fact and what is not, obviously having to do with a bias of amazing proportions...

How about some more as I sign off?

Today, immigrants make up a sizeable proportion of the U.S. health care workforce. In 2010, the foreign born accounted for 16 percent of all civilians employed in health care occupations in the United States. In some health care professions, this share was larger. More than one-quarter of physicians and surgeons (27 percent) were foreign born, as were more than one out of every five (22 percent) persons working in health care support jobs as nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides.

Foreign-Born Health Care Workers in the United States | migrationpolicy.org

Easy enough to Google countless facts about this as I just did yet again. Why so hard for others? I have a few guesses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:28 AM

4,201 posts, read 1,048,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I was also wondering why everyone assumed you were talking about illegal immigrants...

I'm not sure it's even possible for illegal immigrants to do healthcare-related jobs, since there are registration/accreditation requirements.
It isn't supposed to be possible illegals to work here period.
In this case we have a sob story about how we need unskilled and uneducated immigrants. Immigrants who due to their lack of skills also lack earning potential. They will have children in most cases. Children who will receive Government subsidies.
We don't need to import more burden, we need to decrease it.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:39 AM

2,105 posts, read 641,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It isn't supposed to be possible illegals to work here period.
In this case we have a sob story about how we need unskilled and uneducated immigrants. Immigrants who due to their lack of skills also lack earning potential. They will have children in most cases. Children who will receive Government subsidies.
We don't need to import more burden, we need to decrease it.
I agree illegal immigrants shouldn't be working here. Just didn't know why people here assumed she was specifically talking about them.

In my experience taking care of my mother and being in the hospital, 9/10 the caregivers and nurses tend to be immigrants. These are high paying jobs so not sure why there aren't more non-immigrants working them (granted I'm talking large cities). No suggestion here... just saying, don't know why.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:45 AM

10,269 posts, read 10,116,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Having watched the care givers help my father in a memory care center while he suffered from Alzheimer's, I came to greatly appreciate these people, many who couldn't even speak English. Now my mother is also at a retirement center (assisted living), and when I paid a visit a couple of days ago there was a big sign out front I had never seen there before. "NOW HIRING." They can't find the help they need to staff the facility...

I've made this argument before, and now I see it's beginning to happen. We're finding the problem Trump and his supporters thought they were fixing was actually not as much a problem for us as much as it was a solution. A solution we were apparently not able to admit or legitimize. We made them out to be "rapists and murderers" instead and made them unwelcome even though they were doing all the work we can't do on our own and don't want to do!

"You might consider, for starters, the enormous demand for low-skilled workers, which could well go unmet as the baby boom generation ages out of the labor force, eroding the labor supply. Eight of the 15 occupations expected to experience the fastest growth between 2014 and 2024 personal care and home health aides, food preparation workers, janitors and the like require no schooling at all."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/b...nomy-jobs.html

Now what?
So, the care givers were illegal immigrants? You checked their papers? You support businesses who violate laws and hire people illegally? Any other laws you do not care that businesses break?

If a business is having problems finding people to hire, that means they are not offering enough compensation for the position to attract qualified applicants. Do you think businesses should be allowed to break the law by hiring illegal immigrants just so they can pay below the market rate?

There are legal means to enter the country, I do not see why those people who did not enter and stay in the country legally, should get some sort of special treatment and advocacy over those who did.

Next thing you will want, is for the businesses to break health and safety laws just so for what, the business can make a few extra dollars?

Old 08-11-2017, 11:45 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,484,321 times
The term "Illegal Immigrant" is an oxymoron. As IMMIGRATION is a LEGAL process, ILLEGALS are NOT IMMIGRANTS. They are ILLEGAL ALIENS.

Hire LEGAL IMMIGRANTS at fair wages.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:49 AM

6 posts, read 1,155 times
My sister who runs a daycare says many of the single moms she's had over the last 8 years have gone into elderly care field of work. My sister says theres a local program that trains these moms who are receiving entitlements(welfare) to get certified and trained to care for the elderly. Many of these moms go on to earn a good salary either working in facilities or as private care givers in peoples homes.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:52 AM

17,205 posts, read 18,355,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Like getting the horse to water and not able to make it drink?

I have provided some facts, more than some, but apparently Trump supporters have their own version of what is fact and what is not, obviously having to do with a bias of amazing proportions...

How about some more as I sign off?

Today, immigrants make up a sizeable proportion of the U.S. health care workforce. In 2010, the foreign born accounted for 16 percent of all civilians employed in health care occupations in the United States. In some health care professions, this share was larger. More than one-quarter of physicians and surgeons (27 percent) were foreign born, as were more than one out of every five (22 percent) persons working in health care support jobs as nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides.

Foreign-Born Health Care Workers in the United States | migrationpolicy.org

Easy enough to Google countless facts about this as I just did yet again. Why so hard for others? I have a few guesses...
What has that to do with low skill jobs becoming vacant because there are not enough "immigrants who are Americans" to fill them and no natural born American wants the jobs?

There are differences in illegal aliens, temporary low skilled seasonal workers on H2-A visa, H2-B visa, H1-B visa and an immigrant visa. You are trying to lump it all together.

Any statistics you have posted are not related to your premise that we need more immigrant workers nor does it support that retirement/nursing facilities cant find non immigrant workers.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkTulip123 View Post
My sister who runs a daycare says many of the single moms she's had over the last 8 years have gone into elderly care field of work. My sister says theres a local program that trains these moms who are receiving entitlements(welfare) to get certified and trained to care for the elderly. Many of these moms go on to earn a good salary either working in facilities or as private care givers in peoples homes.
Wow that sounds awesome!

Old 08-11-2017, 12:26 PM

17,205 posts, read 18,355,768 times
[quote=BicoastalAnn;49153923]
Quote:
I agree illegal immigrants shouldn't be working here. Just didn't know why people here assumed she was specifically talking about them.
The way it was presented, talking specifically about low skilled low, paying jobs, mentioning "jobs Americans wont do" and bringing Trump into the conversation and how supporting his platform on illegal aliens is a mistake. What about that would make anyone assume the conversation was concerning legal permanent immigrants or even nonresident immigrants on H2-B or H1-B visas.
Quote:
In my experience taking care of my mother and being in the hospital, 9/10 the caregivers and nurses tend to be immigrants. These are high paying jobs so not sure why there aren't more non-immigrants working them (granted I'm talking large cities). No suggestion here... just saying, don't know why.
Do you know they are immigrants? First generation, second, third? Perhaps it is because you live in a largely diverse city. My area is not very diverse. We have many Doctors that are immigrants, but it is rare to see nurses or general caregivers that are immigrants.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:46 PM

[quote=2mares;49154437]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
The way it was presented, talking specifically about low skilled low, paying jobs, mentioning "jobs Americans wont do" and bringing Trump into the conversation and how supporting his platform on illegal aliens is a mistake. What about that would make anyone assume the conversation was concerning legal permanent immigrants or even nonresident immigrants on H2-B or H1-B visas.

Do you know they are immigrants? First generation, second, third? Perhaps it is because you live in a largely diverse city. My area is not very diverse. We have many Doctors that are immigrants, but it is rare to see nurses or general caregivers that are immigrants.
Because she was talking about healthcare-related jobs at first, I assumed she was talking about legal immigrants. Trump has a platform for both illegal and legal so I didn't think mentioning his name meant one way or the other. I agree with you that "Americans" can mean legal permanent immigrants but unfortunately it seems in this forum "Americans" = white, and that's why I specifically said immigrants instead of say Asian-American or Indian-American.

And, yes, I'm pretty sure they were immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies