U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2017, 01:06 PM
 
2,246 posts, read 757,167 times
Reputation: 2633

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Having watched the care givers help my father in a memory care center while he suffered from Alzheimer's, I came to greatly appreciate these people, many who couldn't even speak English.
Can you appreciate the Americans who would have done these jobs in the absence of those immigrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2017, 01:07 PM
 
26,338 posts, read 11,779,714 times
Reputation: 6678
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I agree illegal immigrants shouldn't be working here. Just didn't know why people here assumed she was specifically talking about them.

In my experience taking care of my mother and being in the hospital, 9/10 the caregivers and nurses tend to be immigrants. These are high paying jobs so not sure why there aren't more non-immigrants working them (granted I'm talking large cities). No suggestion here... just saying, don't know why.

I can guarantee it isn't because citizens don't want those jobs. Many doctors are foreigners also. Didn't use to be that way. You'll never convince me it's because citizens don't want those jobs as they used to do them for a fair wage. Something is amiss here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
17,205 posts, read 18,368,278 times
Reputation: 18448
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post

Because she was talking about healthcare-related jobs at first, I assumed she was talking about legal immigrants. Trump has a platform for both illegal and legal so I didn't think mentioning his name meant one way or the other. I agree with you that "Americans" can mean legal permanent immigrants but unfortunately it seems in this forum "Americans" = white, and that's why I specifically said immigrants instead of say Asian-American or Indian-American.

And, yes, I'm pretty sure they were immigrants.
What is Trumps immigration policy that is causing legal immigrants to vacate health care jobs leaving a void in that profession. A help wanted sign (which I have never seen in a medical facility) means they are hiring, how many we dont know. I doubt it means we cant find any white Americans to fill all these vacant positions.

Who did trump refer to as being criminals.......illegal aliens coming from the Mexican border. He was not referring to legal immigrants. What problem is Trump and supporters trying to fix.......illegal immigration. And then quoting an article about a supposed shortage of low skilled, low paying jobs by a man with strong ties to Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 01:21 PM
 
9,937 posts, read 4,280,190 times
Reputation: 8604
I've read through this whole thread.

For those posters who think Americans don't want these jobs --- Both our daughter and son-in-law, in the past, worked as certified nursing assistants in a nursing home. In fact, that's how they met.

One thing we taught our daughter (and glad to see that it stuck with her) is that there is no shame in doing any honest work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 01:28 PM
 
3,206 posts, read 893,534 times
Reputation: 4094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I can guarantee it isn't because citizens don't want those jobs. Many doctors are foreigners also. Didn't use to be that way. You'll never convince me it's because citizens don't want those jobs as they used to do them for a fair wage. Something is amiss here.
So I'll never convince you that those folks who live in the hollers....

1. Lack the education
2. Lack the high IQ's
3. Lack the family traditions of getting ahead
4. Lack the money
5. Lack the ambition to go to 8-10 years of school AFTER they graduate high school....

Not much is stopping anyone of real ability becoming a doctor - I think the military will even train you if you qualify. Then you pay them back by serving a few years.

Still aren't convinced?

Well, why do you think there is a shortage of doctors...

It would be nice for you to list WHY multi-generational Americans aren't flocking to be doctors. If I had to throw out a few guesses they would be:

1. Other countries tend to offer free or inexpensive education - we don't (capitalism doesn't).
2. Doctors in the US like to go for specialties because they pay MUCH more (capitalism again).
3. Since the 1970 and the corporate takeover of medicine (HMO's and then everything else), doctors are often treated as disposable assets. That is, they are not respected by their employers (the insurance companies - and big medicine).
4. I know many very smart people - some were going to become doctors, but they decided on higher paying jobs like law. In a country that prays to selfishness and money, why should they become doctors and deal with the BS of "the public"?

Maybe you have some better reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 01:28 PM
 
26,338 posts, read 11,779,714 times
Reputation: 6678
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No, you are absolutely wrong. You would love to think that there would be Americans lining up for the jobs many people from other countries take, but they are not. Hell, we can't even get us spoiled Americans to show up for easy, well paying jobs.

Fruit and vegetables are rotting in the fields.........where are the Americans who could be doing that work ? Lawn maintenance people work 12 hour days in the scorching sun, how many Americans do you see out there ? We have gotten fat and lazy and too good to demean ourselves with "lowly" physical labor jobs like those.

If you pulled every alien, legal and otherwise, out of this country, you would see devastating results in productivity and the economy. You only think Americans would do these jobs, history tells us just the opposite. I've worked side by side with illegals, and they show up, work hard all day, and only want to have a better life, a life that comes from hard work.

Your post is so full of pro-illegal crap! As for the fruits and vegetables rotting in the fields there are unlimited H-2A visas for LEGAL foreign pickers and we have no problem with that since the growers have to be responsible for them not the taxpayer to the tune of $113 billion for their social costs of illegal aliens. Picking produce is not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work. Most illegals aren't picking crops they have taken construction, restaurant, landscaping, hotel and many other blue-collared jobs by working for less. History tells us that Americans have always done those jobs for a fair wage so I don't know what history book you are looking at.


Working hard does not excuse anyone for breaking the law! Taking what doesn't belong to them to give themselves a better life is not an honorable thing either and neither is breaking laws to attain that. Many are felons who stole an Americans SS number to work. But it's all good just as long as they are making a better life for "themselves", right?


Since when don't most Americans show up on time for work and work hard anyway? WTH is wrong with you people and your total disregard for the laws and citizens of this country. Good Lord!!! It makes me feel sick to read posts like yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 01:42 PM
 
26,338 posts, read 11,779,714 times
Reputation: 6678
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's always the same old story with you guys. Lump together aliens with illegals. This discussion is about illegals and not legal aliens but you and others promoting illegals can't seem to grasp that the two are very different and don't belong in the same conversation.
You don't have a monopoly on knowing illegals either. I live in So Cal and know quite a few, see them everyday. I never said they didn't work hard did I? That's never been the argument so once again, you're making up your own narrative. I also show up to work every day and I'm not an illegal. Are you going to give me some kind of medal for that or do you need to be an illegal to get praised for coming to work everyday?
Fruits and vegetables are not rotting in the fields because there aren't enough people to pick them and if they were, they should just rot where they are. Farmers that can't make a living by hiring LEGAL workers, American or foreign need to go out of business and allow others to take over that can grow crops without exploiting workers. Last time I checked, there were fruits and vegetables of every kind and lots of them at the grocery store.
The entire world wants a better life. Why don't you tell that excuse to people from India who want to come here and work but have to wait in line and do it the legal way instead of sneaking over the border? What's your excuse for giving people south of the border the upper hand and a free pass while others obey our immigration laws. I'd really like to hear it.

Excellent and truthful post. Those who want to give people south of our border a pass on our immigration laws usually hire them to increase their profits and exploit them, bleeding heart liberals without a brain in their heard or those who have ethnic ties to them. It's usually the latter and that makes them ethnocentric racists, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 01:56 PM
 
26,338 posts, read 11,779,714 times
Reputation: 6678
[quote=BicoastalAnn;49154649]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Because she was talking about healthcare-related jobs at first, I assumed she was talking about legal immigrants. Trump has a platform for both illegal and legal so I didn't think mentioning his name meant one way or the other. I agree with you that "Americans" can mean legal permanent immigrants but unfortunately it seems in this forum "Americans" = white, and that's why I specifically said immigrants instead of say Asian-American or Indian-American.

And, yes, I'm pretty sure they were immigrants.

Trump does not object to legal immigration so why are you including that? He wants legal immigrants to come here that will bring something to the table rather than being a burden to our society. Oh the horror!


Legal, permanent immigrants are not Americans aka U.S. citizens. Oh here comes the race card just like clockwork. Hardly any posters in this forum are claiming that you have to be white to be an American either. Do you just make this stuff up as you go along? I'm not a believer in hyphenated Americans by some other country or continent either. Either you're an American or your not. Doesn't matter where your ancestors hailed from or what race you are either.


Liberals have a habit of lumping both legals and illegals under one umbrella of "immigrants". It's blatantly dishonest and they know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 02:03 PM
 
26,338 posts, read 11,779,714 times
Reputation: 6678
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So I'll never convince you that those folks who live in the hollers....

1. Lack the education
2. Lack the high IQ's
3. Lack the family traditions of getting ahead
4. Lack the money
5. Lack the ambition to go to 8-10 years of school AFTER they graduate high school....

Not much is stopping anyone of real ability becoming a doctor - I think the military will even train you if you qualify. Then you pay them back by serving a few years.

Still aren't convinced?

Well, why do you think there is a shortage of doctors...

It would be nice for you to list WHY multi-generational Americans aren't flocking to be doctors. If I had to throw out a few guesses they would be:

1. Other countries tend to offer free or inexpensive education - we don't (capitalism doesn't).
2. Doctors in the US like to go for specialties because they pay MUCH more (capitalism again).
3. Since the 1970 and the corporate takeover of medicine (HMO's and then everything else), doctors are often treated as disposable assets. That is, they are not respected by their employers (the insurance companies - and big medicine).
4. I know many very smart people - some were going to become doctors, but they decided on higher paying jobs like law. In a country that prays to selfishness and money, why should they become doctors and deal with the BS of "the public"?

Maybe you have some better reasons?

Americans have always done most all jobs for a fair wage and that's the bottom line. I agree that part of the reason Americans aren't becoming doctors is because of the expense of getting trained but why hold it against them since you admit that other countries offer free and inexpensive education? The same incentives should be given to American who want to become doctors and you'd see a flock of Americans in the medical field.


I don't know of any foreign doctors that aren't here as specialists either. It's the way our system works today unlike in the past where most were general practitioners. However, we all have primary doctors that aren't specialists also. It pains me to see you call Americans greedy, lazy and selfish because that's exactly what you are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 02:18 PM
 
2,137 posts, read 645,864 times
Reputation: 859
[quote=Oldglory;49155473]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post


Trump does not object to legal immigration so why are you including that? He wants legal immigrants to come here that will bring something to the table rather than being a burden to our society. Oh the horror!


Legal, permanent immigrants are not Americans aka U.S. citizens. Oh here comes the race card just like clockwork. Hardly any posters in this forum are claiming that you have to be white to be an American either. Do you just make this stuff up as you go along? I'm not a believer in hyphenated Americans by some other country or continent either. Either you're an American or your not. Doesn't matter where your ancestors hailed from or what race you are either.


Liberals have a habit of lumping both legals and illegals under one umbrella of "immigrants". It's blatantly dishonest and they know it.
What are you arguing about exactly? I made no argument, either way, in my comment. The OP mentioned Trump's immigration policy, and he has one for both legal and illegal immigrants... so I didn't make an assumption based on the name "Trump" that the OP's message was one or the other. I didn't say Trump's policy is good or bad... just that he has A policy. Do you disagree with that?

So... when you say "Legal, permanent immigrants are not Americans aka U.S. citizens." you are basically saying anyone who comes to this country who is not born here is not "American." You also don't believe in "hyphenated Americans" so... what other conclusion can one make other than you don't believe anyone who is an Asian, Mexican, European, or any other ethnic group who comes to the US is going to be considered an "immigrant" and not an "American" even if they are legal or permanent.

I didn't lump anyone, so I don't know where you got that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top