Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 01:11 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times

Advertisements

They hate it because they couldn't get into one, or at least a good one.

And the ones that did manage to go, are bitter because they were social outcasts and missed out on all the fun. No one wanted them around. We used to laugh at the college Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 01:29 AM

33,300 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I have a Master's degree. You?

Ben Shapiro is ONE person telling HIS experience. And, judging by his age, he probably attended college in the 60s. I didn't. However, as middle-aged mom rightly points out, even in the 60s, most students were NOT politically active. And students today are far less politically minded than they were then.
Well, It's pretty obvious that...although you think you do.....you don't know who Ben Shapiro is.

Ben Shapiro is 33 years old....born in 1984....so he couldn't possibly have gone to college in the 60s.

Ben Shapiro graduated from high school at age sixteen, and then graduated summa c** laude and also Phi Beta Kappa from UCLA in 2004 at the age of twenty. He later graduated summa c** laude from Harvard Law in 2007.

He's already written 7 books....to name 4:

Brainwashed: How Universities Indoctrinate America's Youth

Bullies: How the Left's Culture of Fear and Intimidation Silences America

Primetime Propaganda: The True Hollywood Story of How the Left Took Over Your TV

The People vs. Barack Obama: The Criminal Case Against the Obama Administration

He's also married, has two kids by his wife, his wife has roots in two different cultures, and she is also a physician.

Some people on the left might try to brand him as an idiot because he, in the past, worked for Breitbart....but given his credentials, those people would just look foolish.

I'm thinking you may have been thinking of Ben Stein. Both are named Ben. Both are Jewish. Both are conservatives. Both graduated with honors from Ivy League law schools (Shapiro from Harvard (summa c** laude), and Stein from Yale (valedictorian of his class)). Both are published authors. However, Ben Stein is forty years older than Ben Shapiro.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:22 AM

33,300 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
College at least teaches you correct English. I'm so tired of hearing ain't and other words like this. It makes people look uneducated which I guess they are. People like this aren't likely to get good paying jobs.
Students should be able to speak English properly, and be able to write properly before entering college. However, not everyone starts out on the same page in college. My mother took four years each of four different languages (English, Spanish, French, and Latin) in high school and graduated 5th (IIRC) in her class at one of the top public high schools in the country. She was accepted to both Stanford and UC Berkeley, chose Berkeley, and graduated from UC Berkeley. My father attended Jesuit schools from first grade through graduation from college. All four of my grandparents had college degrees, and two of them had graduate degrees as well. I was also raised in affluent community that had and still has an excellent public school system. The background music during my early childhood included classical music. My parents read to me while I was 'in the womb'. One set of grandparents lived nearby. They had a black grand piano that my mother would play during most visits. Other aspects of my childhood were quite chaotic, but I was still very fortunate.

In college, I had friends from a wide variety of backgrounds. One spent his entire childhood in boarding schools in England. Another grew up in a neighborhood that was so gang infested that he had to fight all of the guys on his street before they would 'let' him go to college....and he said "ain't" fairly often. One other friend also said "ain't" fairly often. Neither of them had parents who had ever attended college. They both struggled with language intensive classes, but aced all of their math and computer science classes. The guy from the gang infested area earned his BS in computer science, and is a software engineer. The other guy earned his BS in Mathematics, and became a software engineer in the banking industry. He eventually decided he'd rather teach math at the public secondary school level. He went back to school and earned his teaching credential, and is a popular and successful public school math teacher. He says a few other things in addition to "ain't" that are grating, but he has such a winning personality and attitude that those plusses mitigate 'the grating' to a large degree. We didn't attend "Podunk U" either. Our alma mater is a UC campus that is currently among the top 100 universities in the world.

BTW, saying "ain't" doesn't make a person LOOK uneducated. It can, however, make a person SOUND uneducated.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:23 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,524,919 times
This whole notion that getting a college education is a waste ot time and money is total B.S. Folks with a four year degree DO get well paying jobs while those with a high school diploma or less, and no skilled trade are left in the dusk. Even my nieces who got liberal arts degrees had no trouble finding well paying jobs within a year of graduating college. Those that major in finance, technology, healthcare, have jobs waiting for them. Yes, college is obscenely expensive and a lot of folks must go into debt to pay for it but that is the current reality. This myth that the money is wasted and folks with a college education are all working in fast food or retail is b.s. Maybe some choose that route but the vast majority of college educated folk can and do land successful careers, while those complaining about how "liberal colleges" are a waste of time and money continue to ***** and complain that illegal immigration is the reason they don't have a job. Too many folks living in the 1950s, thinking they are entitled to a low skilled manufacturing job with a living wage and benefits. That ship sailed long ago. It's a new economy in the U.S., built on knowledge and technology. Don't like what college has to offer? Learn a trade and get certification. Short of being an entrepreneur, those are your options.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
The goal of a college education, liberal or not, is to learn how to think. The goal of the conservatives is to learn how to believe and to never think.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:35 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
My mother took four years each of four different languages (English, Spanish, French, and Latin) in high school and graduated 5th (IIRC) in her class at one of the top public high schools in the country.
Really? What I read above is that she spent sixteen of the twenty or so credits required for high school graduation on language courses. When did she have time to meet the requirements for science, history, math, music/art, and physical education? There are only so many hours in a high school day.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:12 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,594,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They hate it because they couldn't get into one, r at least a good one.

And the ones that did manage to go, are bitter because they were social outcasts and missed out on all the fun. No one wanted them around. We used to laugh at the college Republicans.
I went to Duke, where did you go? This is as good as it gets outside of the Ivy league.

Unc is super liberal-spent some there as well, Duke wasnt so much, at least not in the 90s when I went, thankfully.

and it sure as heck wasnt because I can play basketball

Old 08-13-2017, 06:29 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Those who lack the discipline to obtain a college degree are the ones who criticize college educations.
I have a Bachelors, and a Masters form prestigious universities, one Ivy League, and I think some college students would be better served going to trade school. So your statement is garbage.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:33 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Oh, keep them dumb.

Thomas Jefferson said that we needed an educated populace in a democracy because people vote.

Take away the ability to think and to learn and you get dumb people who will vote for KKK and other despicable ideologies.

Keep the people dumb and they'll vote for a dictator, for anyone, because they are so dumb.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:50 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Thank you.You proved my point.Trump supporters,his cult,only want the GOP to be educated as Pilot1 just proved they don't want others to be in college and to learn to think and act for them selves .The want people to stay uneducated and act like little sheep to do what they are told,....like they do.
No, we want that people will get more balanced education, no left brainwashing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies