U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 07:47 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,786,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's what they do. They love labeling anyone on the right with negative terms. They twisted this one to fit their agenda that so-called rednecks are ignorants who voted for Trump.
But rednecks are ignorant and very often they have a very closed mindset, which is due to their lack of cosmopolitanism associated with their low educational exposure. When they don't read, or think or expand their minds, their outlook will of course be narrow minded and very backward. But because they have the vote, they will of course gravitate toward the candidate that sounds like them, that seems to claim to share their worldview. This is why they voted for trump, and why trump will carry out the destruction of American through his deep ignorance and their support.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:55 PM

1,339 posts, read 247,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's what they do. They love labeling anyone on the right with negative terms. They twisted this one to fit their agenda that so-called rednecks are ignorants who voted for Trump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
But rednecks are ignorant and very often they have a very closed mindset, which is due to their lack of cosmopolitanism associated with their low educational exposure. When they don't read, or think or expand their minds, their outlook will of course be narrow minded and very backward. But because they have the vote, they will of course gravitate toward the candidate that sounds like them, that seems to claim to share their worldview. This is why they voted for trump, and why trump will carry out the destruction of American through his deep ignorance and their support.
Both of these thoughts are ridiculous stereotypes and why most people with a rational mind think that people like you both are the reason for all the nasty in the country today. At least I do.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:09 PM

1,925 posts, read 992,483 times
So glad we have another thread about about white working class men. I'm literally in this demographic and I'm sick of hearing how bad we have it. We don't. Shut up.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:15 PM
AFP

4,940 posts, read 2,626,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
Tell this boy that. He may disagree with the second sentence. (Language may not be safe for work or kids)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbMzHnMqotw

We need more Rednecks like him.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:23 PM

12,355 posts, read 9,578,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I spent my adolescent/teenage years in the exurbs of metro Atlanta. My definition of redneck is defined by that. You can be a country person without being a redneck. You can love fishing and hunting without being a redneck. You can be blue collar without being a redneck. You can be southern and not be a redneck. Mentality and culture is what makes a redneck. Violence, gloating in one's ignorance, touchy pride. The guy who is a mechanic, he's not a redneck. It is the fools I see flying Confederate flags from their trucks, those are rednecks to me. The persons who have called me the "N" word, those are rednecks. I haven't had bad experience with the guy who works as a mechanic for a living. I've had problems with rednecks, or those who are all about redneck culture. It was the redneck types who were often bullying me in high school. Being blue collar doesn't make you a redneck. It is the culture you adhere to that makes a difference.

To give you a better idea of what I'm talking about, two guys who played for the Braves.

Chipper Jones. He's southern. He's from the rural part of Florida near Daytona Beach. He's very country. A redneck? No. Apart from him cheating on his wife, he seems like a likable person.

John Rocker. Southerner, Georgia native. He's nutty. He went racial on a teammate of his. Has that violent mentality. He is a redneck.
Hmmm. Definition by region. Peoples definitions of what constitutes a red eck here are as myriad as the historical origin of the word that have been put up. I ha e to express true regret that you would see all folks who can identify as being a redneck in the light you do. Flying battle flags on pickups or wherever with absolutely no historical knowledge of how that banner has been hijacked and redefined. No real historical knoedge of the War, other than the historical division of the nation by it gives them a platform to set themselves apart. This White pride nonsense being synonymous with identifying as a redneck Is a hurdle people like me have trouble getting over be a use the stereotypes have been stacked so high.

If you were to see me just driving down the street I fear you would add me to the pile just as ed on how I look and dress. I don't have any battle flags on my trjck, or any sort of stickers or such. But I'm in a truck. An kbvio9well broke in one. My hair is cut down close to the scalp, I wear a well sweated up cowboy hat, and I do have a crossed sabers cavalry emblem on it. And the hat is a Virginia grey. Neither are intended to .be any sort of Confederate reference but it gets taken that way a lot.

I so have a tuft of snow white fur bound with bowstring tied to the cords and a pair of feathers from a magpie bound the same way. The hat alone gets me called a redneck in an insulting way quite a bit. Black people have stared me down with some withering looks in the store and other public places.

It's the color of the hat and the sabers. People think it's a Confederate reference. It's not. I earned those sabers and the hat color just happened to be my favorite. I don't like black or brown (to hot) and silverbelly was my Dad's color. You don't copy with a cowboy hat. It has to be individually unique and tell YOUR story. Anyway, I get stereotyped quite a bit. Because I drive a truck and wear a cowboy hat I'm a "redneck" (pejorative) I'm not offended by the term, I don't mind being called a redneck it the manner in which the term is used and the and the generalization.

You have dealt with being stereotyped yourself, so I know how it must annoy you. It could be anything from an article of clothing, some sy ol or another on a necklace or pin, and hes, skin tone. The latter is no different for me. A black person could wear those sabers on his hat no problems. I rode with a Black guy for five years who had the same sabers and a hat almost the same color. But would he be labeled a redneck in a derogatory manner? Never saw any angry looks when we went into a public place together, The sabers were something the whole group of us wore. We reenacted together and also rode herd together. The sabers were a cavalry symbol, a d we all did both Union and Confederate but the sa ers were only to say "Cavalry". Nothing more.

It truly has boiled down to the smallest things people choose to misinterpret. And it's not just Black people who get labeled for symbols by skin tone. Seriously stereotyped. I understand where your defining characteristics come from

I'm not saying you're wrong to see things thus and of course you and yours have suffered at the hands of people who project a certain image and point of view via symbols, which can be anything from flag, bumper sticker...or a hat. But anymore a person can unwittingly portray themselves by someone else's interpretation, and a label will be applied without knowing anything other than what a visual and snap judgment has determined.

We all .ake judgement ts ased on appearance ces, especially if those appearances bring bad experience to mind. Lately, more a d more I find myself trying to look tbrough appearances and give benefit of the doubt. Recent events in my life have given me cause to look at myself closer and try to examine people closer. Oh sure, there are obvious hard cases, but the eyes are a better barometer than clothes, t shirt design s, and skin tone I don't even see anymore. It's a non sequitur. If my appearance is drawing hard looks or posturing, I give a smile , nod and a tip of the hat a try. So far that hasn't failed to smooth things out.

Obvious trouble seekers or professionally offended types I just ignore. Though I'll still give a nod in howdy fashion just to make sure I've given it my best. I've decided that I've no desire for conflict with anyone for any reason. Si ce my biggest reason for living is no longer with me, I've nobody to protect, and I'll just take everyone at face value and live and et live. I will consider nobody to be my enemy unless I'm physically attacked, and these VA clashes have really opened my eyes. I'm not going to adjust my appearance for anyone and my hat stays as it is. During the cold months I will stl wear my caped cavalry great coat and I wear both my grey and sky blue wool riding pants as readily as blue jeans.

Mariner I wish you well, and can only hope you may get so.e positive experiences from folks that look like your definition of a redneck in so.e fashion or another but turn out to be something else under the wrapping. Yea, I don't figure folks flying battle flags off their trucks with killed a let God sort them out bumper stickers will be anything but what they ok like, but so.e folks may deserve a closer look. I'm trying it on for size, trying to be a better .an like I know Myady would want.

She ways did inspire me to be better, I reckon there's no reason to call it quits now. Who knows, maybe we'll bump into each other some day and I can break a mold for you. The way things are getting I'm going to do my even best to give peace a chance in my life. Not going to just drop my guard and stick out my chin, but I'm not going to return any gunfighter stares from anyone either. Black, Brown White, Red or Yellow. I'm feeling sad, and have a hole through the middle of me and if I'm going to try and fill it it won't be with hatred and prejudice. And I'm a redneck. I grew up with a different definition of the term so I figure I'll try and live up to it. Got some pretty powerful incentive to do so.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:27 PM

2,407 posts, read 836,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
We need more Rednecks like him.
How cute, you found 1 anomaly that happens to side with your ideology and you wish there were more.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:48 PM

6,852 posts, read 5,592,065 times
My grampa told me when the coal miners went on strike to protest company stores and working conditions the Rich northern Bosses hired the Pinkertons and other enforcers to put them down and it came to shooting and murder.The miners tied red handkerchiefs around their necks to identify each other as friend and not enemy against these hired killers and were nick named Rednecks.And that was way before duct tape so I believe grampa.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:49 PM
TKO

1,526 posts, read 2,442,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
The term "redneck" comes from poor white farmers who had to work over 13 hours a day in the field hunched over exposing their necks to the sun.

Why do leftists believe that being a white working class man who works hard to provide for his family is something that can be used to insult someone?
I'm a lefty and a redneck so to heck with you and your generalizations.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:56 PM

2,407 posts, read 836,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I'm a lefty and a redneck so to heck with you and your generalizations.
That only means you don't represent the majority.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:59 PM

15,555 posts, read 5,962,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
The term "redneck" comes from poor white farmers who had to work over 13 hours a day in the field hunched over exposing their necks to the sun.

Why do leftists believe that being a white working class man who works hard to provide for his family is something that can be used to insult someone?
But many or these "rednecks" are tired of working 13 hours in the field. That's why they hire immigrants now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies