U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 08:08 AM

7,984 posts, read 3,860,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
The term "redneck" comes from poor white farmers who had to work over 13 hours a day in the field hunched over exposing their necks to the sun.

Why do leftists believe that being a white working class man who works hard to provide for his family is something that can be used to insult someone?
I guess because you've heard one or a few people say it, you (wrongly) accuse ALL "leftists" of referring to white working class men as "rednecks?" You are just as much in the wrong for making assumptions about tens of millions of people.

When I lived in South Carolina, I once heard a white man (not knowing anybody else was around) use the n-word. Am I stupid enough to think that, because one white person called a black man the n-word, that ALL white people use the n-word? Of course not, that would be idiotic to generalize a whole group of people due to the actions of one or a few.

Oh, and for the record. I'm a "leftist." I would never call somebody a "redneck," I find it very offensive.

Last edited by skins_fan82; 08-12-2017 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 08:09 AM

3,153 posts, read 729,414 times
Quote:
Really? Then why do leftists primarily use the term?
I have heard the term used by all sorts of people from all walks of life..including Conservatives.

Some wear it as a badge of reverse pride..some disparage those who fit their stereotypes. I've used it..and I'm not leftist---and I've used it both as an insult..and as a simple description.

Guess it's the same with 'snowflake' and 'beta male', eh?

Old 08-12-2017, 08:12 AM

10,245 posts, read 6,615,968 times
Quote:
The term "redneck" comes from poor white farmers who had to work over 13 hours a day in the field hunched over exposing their necks to the sun.

Why do leftists believe that being a white working class man who works hard to provide for his family is something that can be used to insult someone?

The term no longer relates to that "farmer" group where it originally began, it has morphed into a whole new meaning. To me, Redneck means uneducated, unsophisticated, not very smart, driving an old pickup with a couple of dogs in the back, and they refuse to accept any views other than their own very narrow opinion of how things are. I see them all the time, generally with a bumper sticker that reads "Lock her up !"

Kinda like the guys who say "Here, hold my beer and watch this !"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeBE1Y9TN7A

The world sure would be dull without them though.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:20 AM

1,090 posts, read 375,600 times
Quote:

Why do righties go through such mental gymnastics to get outraged?

Old 08-12-2017, 08:22 AM

1,905 posts, read 1,029,607 times
Been called a redneck, cracker, white boy. None of it bothered me. Consider the source of who is throwing out those names.
Same thing goes for ignorant people using the N word.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:24 AM

7,984 posts, read 3,860,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Sensitive snowflakes looking for things to whine about LOL.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:33 AM

27,046 posts, read 14,647,040 times
Quote:

I don't think all leftists are like this.

Some people certainly look down on blue collar workers. Common sense seems to be in short supply with them. Rather than admitting that they don't have a clue how to fix something (let alone which tool to use!) they become fixated on the fact that blue collar workers' often "need" their money to survive.

Plus, "rednecks" don't tend to care about what other people think of them so it is relatively safe to speak out against them.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:34 AM

45,967 posts, read 32,282,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post

These days it probably makes them feel positively presidential.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:35 AM

21,040 posts, read 11,633,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's what they do. They love labeling anyone on the right with negative terms. They twisted this one to fit their agenda that so-called rednecks are ignorants who voted for Trump.
Don't be a snowflake.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:38 AM

2,286 posts, read 770,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Plus, "rednecks" don't tend to care about what other people think of them so it is relatively safe to speak out against them.
That's a sad reason to make fun of someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies