Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 12:18 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Because most people who use a term don't consider its origin? I'd be surprised if this term was any more used by the left than elitists on the right. It's a cultural/class elitist term, not a political one. But what doesn't get blamed on "lefitists" these days, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Honestly, I suspect some people use it hatefully, while others don't. Some probably politicize it, others, not so much. And, as someone pointed out in an earlier post, some use it affectionately.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Been called a redneck, cracker, white boy. None of it bothered me. Consider the source of who is throwing out those names.
Same thing goes for ignorant people using the N word.
I don't really think you can compare any of those terms to the N word. They can be said maliciously, sure, but the history behind them doesn't come close. To the best of my knowledge, no one was ever lynched for being a poor white or a farmer.

I know some people will disagree with this estimation, including black people who use the N word affectionately with each other. I can only speak to my own emotional reaction.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:39 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't really think you can compare any of those terms to the N word. They can be said maliciously, sure, but the history behind them doesn't come close. To the best of my knowledge, no one was ever lynched for being a poor white or a farmer.

I know some people will disagree with this estimation, including black people who use the N word affectionately with each other. I can only speak to my own emotional reaction.
I try to keep it simple and just avoid these terms altogether. Seems pretty easy to do, so IDK why one ever needs to use terms like that.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:53 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
The term "red neck" originated in the early 1900s when West Virginia coal miners wore red bandanas on their necks during protests against the owners of the coal mines. There were many protests at that time regarding unsafe working conditions and the miners wanted to join the union. The mine owners pushed back against the workers and the miners stood together and it lasted many years. People were killed. The miners consisted of native born whites, immigrants that spoke little English and African Americans.

This link explains more:

Where Do

"...miners stood up and fought coal operators for their constitutional rights, fair labor practices, and the right to join a union. The roughly 10,000 justice-seeking miners who took up arms and marched to battle in 1921 at the climax of the mine wars wore red bandannas around their necks and came to be known as “the Red Neck Army.” So when you call someone a redneck in West Virginia, you may be giving them a compliment.

Last edited by sware2cod; 08-12-2017 at 01:10 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 01:04 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
To me, Redneck means uneducated, unsophisticated, not very smart, driving an old pickup with a couple of dogs in the back,
To most people who use the term, it means anyone that doesn't live in some sardine-can big city somewhere as they do. That term is no different than any other derogatory term used for those of a different class, race, language, or nationality than one's own. Take your pick, there are plenty of those terms floating around to belittle others.

As for "white trash," I think that actually does mean something other than any other insult. White trash are my neighbors who moved in four years ago and turned the neighborhood into a cross between a circus and a ghetto. I see white trash as not having much to do with income and everything to do with victimizing everyone around them thinking they are exercising ytheir "freedom." Basically inconsiderate, hostile, immature white people who tend to want to look like death row convicts or MS-13 members, regardless of income.

Quote:
and they refuse to accept any views other than their own very narrow opinion of how things are.
Why should they accept your views any more than you accept theirs? A true "redneck" is from a completely different world than yours. I know because I grew up in that world of rural America (after escaping the Bay Area with my family as a wee lad). I really wish with all my heart that I could be a "redneck" again. Those were the most pleasant years of my life. Sun-up drinking some cool water from the well between rides on the hay wagon into the fields. Lot's of work, but I wouldn't trade those memories for anything in this world.

Quote:
I see them all the time, generally with a bumper sticker that reads "Lock her up !"
I've never seen that particular bumper sticker. Is it referring to Hillary? If so, I agree. Although, actually, I'd rather just never hear the name again.

Quote:
Kinda like the guys who say "Here, hold my beer and watch this !"
Never cared for the taste of beer. And if I were going to drink, it would be something that does its job fast. That's certainly not beer. Don't drink much anyway. But you can hold my Diet Mountain Dew.

Quote:
The world sure would be dull without them though.
True, you guys would have one less class of citizen to pick on.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:05 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,233,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
The term "redneck" comes from poor white farmers who had to work over 13 hours a day in the field hunched over exposing their necks to the sun.

Why do leftists believe that being a white working class man who works hard to provide for his family is something that can be used to insult someone?
My wife was born in Miami, which is basically the North minus the cold weather. I'm from and currently live in S. GA. I'm about a non-traditional southerner as you can get (don't own a 4x4 and don't hunt). But, I introduced my wife to driving down dirt roads, riding in the back of a truck, demolition derbies, bogging, ATV parks... all things she negatively identified as "redneck" are actually a hell of a lot of fun.

The true rednecks are just country boys. And I have many friends and acquaintances that proudly identify as rednecks that are well-educated, love their families, love ALL people and just want to live happy lives.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:13 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,233,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post

You reminded me of something that my Aunt said years ago. She would be about 110 now (for frame of reference).

They were good people. Her and my Uncle would do anything for anyone regardless of color. But 30 years ago or so, when I was a teenager, she commented about this black man that they had some connection to, (I don't remember what is was), but she said:

"He was the nicest ni**er man I've ever known... would give his shirt off his back for anyone........"

I remember be conflicted about the type of people they were. Now, I can look back and see their actions were never racist, but this comment was devoid of any awareness that using the N word was offensive, and more so, genuinely hurtful.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
You reminded me of something that my Aunt said years ago. She would be about 110 now (for frame of reference).

They were good people. Her and my Uncle would do anything for anyone regardless of color. But 30 years ago or so, when I was a teenager, she commented about this black man that they had some connection to, (I don't remember what is was), but she said:

"He was the nicest ni**er man I've ever known... would give his shirt off his back for anyone........"

I remember be conflicted about the type of people they were. Now, I can look back and see their actions were never racist, but this comment was devoid of any awareness that using the N word was offensive, and more so, genuinely hurtful.
We live and learn.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:56 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
redneck was also a term for the irish american immigrants that wore a red bandana around their neck to keep them cool while working the farm land

Old 08-12-2017, 02:27 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
"Redneck" often times refers to someone's education, they being a laborer, poorly educated, and who is often easily misled, usually by the people they vote for (almost exclusively Republicans).

In this context it is used as a pejorative.

That's how I see it. It's an entirely negative term. Apparently, some people enjoy being regarded as fitting the definition of it. They're just fine with living in a cultural stone age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies