Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 09:34 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
No.
They're historic monuments are they not?

It's not a false equivalency. If someone wants to view them, let them. What harm is an inanimate object going to do I'm being serious.
If that is the way you feel, I suggest you make sure it doesn't happen in your town. What other towns choose to do is their business. Who are you to tell them what statues they have to have in their parks?

Old 08-13-2017, 09:35 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
You must not realize that people voted to have the statue removed.

It is to be placed in a museum where people who want to learn/visit a place geared toward the war can go and learn.

You know, just like there is a holocaust museum.
why pay a museum to view them, when they're open in public arena?

Speaking of holocaust museum, you know Auschwitz is still standing, right?

Old 08-13-2017, 09:35 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,442,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Well for one we didnt mow them down with a Dodge Charger and then flee the scene.
*sigh* So...all members of these organization's you hate bear the responsibility for one person's actions? Do you know how silly that sounds to me?
How do you even logically support that position?
So many reasons to despise the Nazi's..but that person plowed into the crowd of his own volition...IMO, because he is seeking to be a martyr. I, for one. don't give him that importance. Just a disturbed killer..using ideology as a cover for his sickness.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The left leaning city council voted 3 to 2 to remove it, despite VA law protects war monuments and there are private contract and trust issues over the statue. The area is so left leaning nowadays, the public probably would vote to remove it though.
Now, now....I have seen someone posting to you in this very thread with a link that showed it is NOT against Virginia law. That is intellectually disingenuous. Shame.

For the record, that law does not apply to any monument erected before 1998.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:38 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The left leaning city council voted 3 to 2 to remove it, despite VA law protects war monuments and there are private contract and trust issues over the statue. The area is so left leaning nowadays, the public probably would vote to remove it though.
The left, The Left, The Left.......is that that gets regurgitated?

Old 08-13-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
*sigh* So...all members of these organization's you hate bear the responsibility for one person's actions? Do you know how silly that sounds to me?
How do you even logically support that position?
So many reasons to despise the Nazi's..but that person plowed into the crowd of his own volition...IMO, because he is seeking to be a martyr. I, for one. don't give him that importance. Just a disturbed killer..using ideology as a cover for his sickness.
Where did I say there were all responsible? Go ahead I will wait while you try to spin it that I said that.

Since I didn't....I note you ignored the last part.

Since you ignored it, white supremacists, nationalists whatever they are today, hate people based on who they are, something they cannot change. We despite the choices these people make. A choice that they can change at any moment and be welcomed back. That is the difference.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:41 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:

I would ask those that voted to have it done away with.

So is Richmond. And?

Old 08-13-2017, 09:44 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Now, now....I have seen someone posting to you in this very thread with a link that showed it is NOT against Virginia law. That is intellectually disingenuous. Shame.

For the record, that law does not apply to any monument erected before 1998.
It's not settled that the law only protected new monuments.

Quote:

Cool. I am glad they CHOOSE to leave it. I fully support their right to do so. The same way I support the right of towns to choose to move statues to museums or even take them down. Why do you think you have the right to tell them they cannot do that when you are not even a member of that community?

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
If that is the way you feel, I suggest you make sure it doesn't happen in your town. What other towns choose to do is their business. Who are you to tell them what statues they have to have in their parks?
I'm an American with an appreciation for history, who isnt pursuaded by illogical emotion, that's who I am. These issues pertaining to confederate monuments is logically wrong, it serves a liberal progressive ideology that these monuments are shrines to bigotry... same with the outrage over a rebel battle flag.

They're not. The KKK and their bedsheets and hats and burning crosses are.

Seriously what's next? British Americans cry over revolutionary war monuments?
Bulldozing of houses along the underground railroad?

Seriously what's next to be taken down because someone subjectively deemed it "offensive"?

My town was built in the 1920s so there's no historic confederate monuments here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies