Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 08:40 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times

Advertisements

Good job

So that'll be what? Mayhem for miles and miles?

Old 08-28-2017, 08:41 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There is not a moral equivalent between Nazi/KKK and those who oppose them. There just isn't.
Is it morally responsible to attack "perceived" (not necessarily actual) KKK/Nazi with a flame-thrower?

Old 08-28-2017, 08:43 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Fox Insider does a lot of trash news - everything that Fox doesn't want under the main brandname. But you just said above that Trump is a patsy. Would you like to see him out? For the record, I'm fine with letting it all play out and for the Republican Party to handle it internally.
What I would like and what reality is are veeeery far apart.

I'd like to see him out because he is a revolting human being; I've thought so since the 80s. He's unqualified as well, in my opinion, to be in any position of power.

But unless Ben Carson or similar, as in, someone educated/classy/overcame obstacles to achieve success, therefore is relatable and a great role model is going to replace the Combover Clown, IDGAF because we're screwed anyway.

#apathylife

Old 08-28-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I'm putting violence in the same category as a riot. Do we REALLY need to split hairs here?
Yes, we do, because the violence is coming from the left. Have you missed all the riots since Trump's election?

Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
The right didn't like what Obama was doing, but they didn't repeatedly violently riot.
Seriously? Honey, you were right here when this was going on!

Conservatives forget history in discrediting Trump protesters | TheHill
https://newsone.com/2082964/republicans-against-obama/

I bet you had some choice things to say, too, but I don't really feel like doing a search right now.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There is not a moral equivalent between Nazi/KKK and those who oppose them. There just isn't.

It is ridiculous maintain that the left bears an equal blame for Nazi/KKK coming to Charleston, and assaulting people.
?
As I said before...

Conspiracy theorists think the nuts were waiting for a moment like this Trump presidency to throw their temper tantrum over these "monuments" or statues or whatever they are - look what they have accomplished. It is all to do about nothing.

Any sensible person should see that this whole conniption that the ANTIFA communists are throwing are just doing it to start a bunch of senseless crap over...and they are accomplishing it.

It is not about Confederate ANYTHING with these clowns. They just want to cause a riot.

Why are these monuments all of a sudden a problem today? Why weren't they a problem 3, 5, 10, 20 years ago? Oh, that's right, they weren't.

A good equation is the "Redskins" name. The Redskins name wasn't a problem 10, 15, 25 or 30 years ago. All of a sudden people are offended or hurt by it? GIVE... ME... A... BREAK.

They aren't hurt by it. Nor are these snowflakes alleging all of a sudden all these "monuments" (or whatever they are) need to come down are hurt. They aren't hurt; they are being provocateurs for the sole purpose of being provocateurs .

Old 08-28-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Was it violent? No. Was it disapproval? Yes.

Contrast that with the Portland riot, etc., after Trump was elected. And the hundreds arrested and charged with felonies for violently rioting at Trump's inauguration.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:47 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
There is no proof that such an order to stand down was ever issued. If you want to blame anyone blame the federal judge who wouldn't let the city change the place where the Unite the Right Rally permit was located. The city wanted to move the rally to where they could have more space to keep the two sides separated.
Common sense would tell you that hundreds of police officers to not just stand by twiddling their thumbs while violence takes place in front of them unless they have been told to do just that. That's been obvious from the beginning.

The city had plenty of means to follow the judges order while also keeping the two groups safely apart.

They imo intentionally chose not to. They lost in court, so they thumbed their nose at the judge and cooked up their plan to win on the streets. They ignored all the fighting until it was bad enough they felt justified in declaring a state of emergency and then calling the assembly unlawful.

Then rather than clean up the mess they made they pushed all these people out into the streets together. People ended up dead and injured.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:07 AM

8,497 posts, read 3,339,003 times
Here's an interesting take by a sociologist in today's NYT. Sure, it appears in the hated NYT but ...
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/o...&nlid=81746956

ALL NYT QUOTES (deleted most of the long article to respect copyright, TOS, didn't take the time to insert ... ). The writer basically is blaming Trump. For the record, I do not (at least to that extent) thinking the issue much more complex with various variables at play. That said, in my day trip to the Daily Stomer, Stormfront, AltRight forums, there WAS lots of talk of Trump. Is he with us, against us and so on. But Trump did not create the angst of the AltRight. They are delusional folk and is it really Trump's fault here if they grasp or put their own hopeful interpretation on his straws?

What DID interest me about the piece is the recognition that the Antifa really is not FOR anything but rather AGAINST - in opposition to what it sees as right-wing extremism:

Antifa is the backlash to the backlash, a defensive response to the growing presence of right-wing extremism.

So far, there is a fearful asymmetry between the far right and antifa: Over the decade ending in 2016, estimates of the percentage of politically motivated killings committed by right-wing extremists range from 73 to 92 percent, according to the conservative Daily Caller. Despite the spurious rhetoric of equivalency, supporters of antifa have, to date, killed no one.

Who are the antifa, then? They do not advocate a positive doctrine, racial or otherwise. Some supporters consider themselves (as Mr. Trump accurately said) anarchists, some Marxists of different stripes; others don’t care much what you call them.

Many liberals and leftists think they taint the overwhelmingly nonviolent anti-Trump resistance movement and play into Mr. Trump’s hands.

But many antifa activists do not think strategically about whom they alienate. They are convinced that the hour for normal politics has passed, and let the chips fall where they may.

What happens now? Antifa, riding a vastly larger anti-Trump wave, will probably grow. So does the potential for armed clashes, especially in open-carry states. If the police do not act astutely, armed showdowns could develop.

Right-wing paramilitaries have been training for years, descendants of the militias of the 1990s, reawakened by their horror that a black man had been elected president of the United States. They have uniforms, insignia, traditions and, not least, stockpiles of weapons.

Taking a cue from the president, right-wing militias now have antifa in their sights. Charlottesville was only the most visible confrontation; the two sides have been clashing for months.

Antifa depends far less on guns for its sense of identity. If effectively contained and self-contained, many of its supporters would likely return to the kind of nonviolent left-wing, anti-racist organizing that they were involved in before Mr. Trump rejuvenated the nationalist right with fire and fury.

Last edited by EveryLady; 08-28-2017 at 09:19 AM..

Old 08-28-2017, 09:10 AM

8,497 posts, read 3,339,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, we do, because the violence is coming from the left. Have you missed all the riots since Trump's election?
I'm out the door now, so to close for me ... have you missed all the deaths from rightwing violence?
Quote:
Over the decade ending in 2016, estimates of the percentage of politically motivated killings committed by right-wing extremists range from 73 to 92 percent, according to the conservative Daily Caller. Despite the spurious rhetoric of equivalency, supporters of antifa have, to date, killed no one.
Wonder if that data includes Heather Heyer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies