Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 03:33 PM

37,162 posts, read 19,170,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We have gone through 233 years of compromising our civil liberties.
Which of your civil liberties have been compromised?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 03:40 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
You compromise with them today, they get 1/2. Then tomorrow, you compromise another 1/2, so now you only have a 1/4 of what you had. Then the next day here they come. I want, I want, and now you have 1/8 left.... Keep it going and how many times are we going to compromise our constitutionally defined liberty.

I want your property! I want it now!
The compromise, You can stay in the front yard.
Next day. I want your property! I want it now!
The compromise, You can have the front porch.
Next day. I want your house! I want it now!
The Compromise, You can have the front living room.....

How much are you willing to Compromise?
Interesting math there. So let me get this right. If you compromise on day 1 you get only half. If you compromise again on day 2 you're left with only 1/4. But, your math also applies to the other side that has given half and half again to you. If both compromisers now have only 1/4, who has the missing 1/2?

Old 08-13-2017, 03:44 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,096 times
Quote:
You compromise with them today, they get 1/2. Then tomorrow, you compromise another 1/2, so now you only have a 1/4 of what you had. Then the next day here they come. I want, I want, and now you have 1/8 left.... Keep it going and how many times are we going to compromise our constitutionally defined liberty.

While I sympathize with you on many topics, here I have to point out a major error in your thought processes.

A compromise means that BOTH sides give up something to gain something else.
I'll say that again.... a compromise means that BOTH sides both give & get.

So if you gave up half, so did the other side. Otherwise, it's not a compromise. So they gave up half to you.

That's the very nature of compromise. Both give. Both get.

So if you're making an arrangement with the other side that causes ONLY YOU TO GIVE - but not them - Then it ain't a compromise.

It's a surrender.

You might want to give your manifesto topic points a little more thought before you post them online.

Last edited by Starman71; 08-13-2017 at 03:55 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 03:48 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,750 times
Quote:

So... you are saying that one party should have unilateral control, right?

I mean, we have a two party system and you're clearly calling one of those parties "the enemy" (I'll be polite and pretend to be stupid enough to not know which party you think should be political suppressed, and which should be the dictatorship). This leaves one party.

Also, compromise should be happening in congress. The courts need to compromise as they just interpret the law and uphold it. Should one of the parties attack a liberty, the issue isn't about compromise, but law. The courts are expected to stop it.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:54 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
We can't compromise with conservatives. Too much to lose. They want to chip away at our civil rights protections and healthcare.
And again, another example of someone NOT knowing the definition of compromise.

Political compromise is - in theory - a give and a get. Both sides give up something to gain something else, usually that which is supposedly beneficial to all.

We all know that in reality, this doesn't happen. But why?

My firm belief is that neither party wants to be seen as compromising, as it might give the impression that their opponents are winning. That to capitulate to your opponent is weak and your - and only your - theory of what makes a great policy is the ONE TRUE WAY TO SUCCESS.

This is my one true problem with the 2-party system. Too much "Either-right-or-wrong" stances.

Political compromise does NOT have to involve one's moral or ethical beliefs, as many extremists in here might think. It is a process that is supposed to look at the "best for all" not "what's best for my re-election" or "what will make my party happy" thought processes.

And the only way that a country as diverse as our 320 million people could possibly be governed fairly? To achieve that which is best for all is through compromise.

And if you can't accept this absolute truth, then you aren't intelligent enough for further conversation.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:04 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
And again, another example of someone NOT knowing the definition of compromise.

Political compromise is - in theory - a give and a get. Both sides give up something to gain something else, usually that which is supposedly beneficial to all.

We all know that in reality, this doesn't happen. But why?

My firm belief is that neither party wants to be seen as compromising, as it might give the impression that their opponents are winning. That to capitulate to your opponent is weak and your - and only your - theory of what makes a great policy is the ONE TRUE WAY TO SUCCESS.

This is my one true problem with the 2-party system. Too much "Either-right-or-wrong" stances.

Political compromise does NOT have to involve one's moral or ethical beliefs, as many extremists in here might think. It is a process that is supposed to look at the "best for all" not "what's best for my re-election" or "what will make my party happy" thought processes.

And the only way that a country as diverse as our 320 million people could possibly be governed fairly to achieve that which is best for all is through compromise.

And if you can't accept this absolute truth, then you aren't intelligent enough for further conversation.
People love to claim what others don't know all while regurgitating talking points. Yes, you can negotiate small things like how much to spend and on what but when it comes to the important items like civil rights, human rights, progressive taxation, etc. I don't want my elected leaders compromising on those things. Especially when a compromise reduces safeguards or civil rights...

Old 08-13-2017, 04:11 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
To the Left, compromise means total capitulation. When have they ever moved to the right on an issue in order to compromise?

Of course the right expressed its willingness to compromise back in 2009 by vowing before Obama had even taken office to block his every move, eh?

Old 08-13-2017, 04:19 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I wonder if you have noticed that the gaop betweenn rich and poor has been growing for the last several decades.

All of the economic growth of our economy has been hoarded by the rich and super-rich since Ronald Reagan was president.

All this talk about houses and porches obscures the reality that you do not have as much as you deserve, because the rich and their Republican congressional puppets have made sure to snatch it from you before you ever saw it.
There is no "hoarding". That assumes a fixed economic pie, which isn't the case. Someone else being rich doesn't make you poor. Also, I'm curious what "deserve" is supposed to mean here...I agree if you mean we deserve to keep what we earn, which is taken through taxation...

Old 08-13-2017, 04:38 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,447,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
There is no "hoarding". That assumes a fixed economic pie, which isn't the case. Someone else being rich doesn't make you poor. Also, I'm curious what "deserve" is supposed to mean here...I agree if you mean we deserve to keep what we earn, which is taken through taxation...
This is a smoke screen.

The problem is earnings have not kept up, working people can not get ahead.

The if one is hurting economically taxes seem to affect us more deeply, so that is what the Republicans focus on, not the fact that the average bloke is not paid well enough, it's 'someone else's' fault, not their fault. In the meantime while you and I are hollering about the taxes they keep us underpaid and reap most of the benefits from our tax reduction efforts too.

And yes, I mean hoarding. The rich have sucked up all of the economic growth.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:08 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,641 times
What do you think the right has compromised on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies