Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:35 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Boring? How so? I have been to Paris. Over rated and the people are rude.
Liked the eiffle tower and the Louve. Bullet train was cool also.
I live in the sticks. Quiet at night, you can trust your neighbors, the air is clean. Crime? not much.
If you have been to one city you have been to them all. Congested, dirty, foul smelling and filled with rude people. Nice to visit and all that...
No crime and trash is moving to the suburbs because city people are moving to the suburbs, and with them their habits and culture.
Well I grew up in the burbs and will never raise a child there. It is soulless and not as "safe" as many think it is. The original poster was testament to that.

I unfortunately had to live in Phoenix for two years (the place is basically one big burb) and I can tell you that there are a lot of ghetto burbs there. When I lived in Washington DC crime was largely isolated to South East and other "bad" areas of the city. In Phoenix crime was all over the burbs. Meth labs and illegal immigrant drop houses in the middle of otherwise typical suburbia. Yet people still thought the evil "city" was the home of crime and everything evil; even though many cities in the US had a much lower crime rate than Phoenix!

And yes, suburbia is boring. You may like boring...wonderful. But many, many people are rejecting this lifestyle and instead looking for vibrant neighborhoods with more culture and entertainment at one's doorstep. Just look at the number of cities that have seen a resurgence in people moving back into the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 12:46 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Well I grew up in the burbs and will never raise a child there. It is soulless and not as "safe" as many think it is. The original poster was testament to that.

I unfortunately had to live in Phoenix for two years (the place is basically one big burb) and I can tell you that there are a lot of ghetto burbs there. When I lived in Washington DC crime was largely isolated to South East and other "bad" areas of the city. In Phoenix crime was all over the burbs. Meth labs and illegal immigrant drop houses in the middle of otherwise typical suburbia. Yet people still thought the evil "city" was the home of crime and everything evil; even though many cities in the US had a much lower crime rate than Phoenix!

And yes, suburbia is boring. You may like boring...wonderful. But many, many people are rejecting this lifestyle and instead looking for vibrant neighborhoods with more culture and entertainment at one's doorstep. Just look at the number of cities that have seen a resurgence in people moving back into the city.
Boring how? Because you don't like outdoor activities other than window shopping?
Vibrant life style? As in wondering who will mug you, when it will happen? Needing 2 or 3 dead bolts on every door? bars on your windows if you live on the ground floor?
The resurgence? Wish that were true. City people move out to the country and want everyone to adapt to them.
Meth labs? Where did that come from to supply what demand?
Entertainment for me is also right outside my door. I have deer that walk up to my house. In ground pool, an atv and friends 500 feet away who also like to fish. 1 mile away I can do any shopping I need to. 15 miles away is a mall.
What I dont have is a fear that I forgot to lock my doors. A fear that the noise I hear is an intruder or gang violence might take my childs life. Now you may be wondering. Do I own a shot gun a rifle and fourwheel drive? Yes I do. Am I a Redneck? I dont think so. I have all of my teeth well minus the wisdom teeth. I dont drink. I don't smoke. No I am not a bible banger. I just don't like being crowded.
Crime and trash in the country comes from the city spilling over. Yes in the sticks you have some necks who beat their wives almost as often as their dogs. You have your local drunks. But over all they stick with their own kind and avoid those like me. We wont tolerate them.
I have lived in the city. I have visited many. I even like aspects of the city. I love visiting Newyork for a day or two. I liked Rome, liked London and paris minus the french.
City folks throw trash out their windows with no regard for their neighbors. City folks have no problem with their late night parties no regard for the neighbors. Perhaps if they took the time to get to know the neighbors they would understand the boundries.

Last edited by tinman01; 03-14-2008 at 01:00 AM..

Old 03-14-2008, 01:18 AM

531 posts, read 1,744,113 times
As long as drugs are such a problem in this country, we will continue to have deteriorating suburbs, and crime. I live on a street that was once considered middle class (my parents lived here originally) now drug dealers and users have moved into the neighborhood with increasing crime here, and I (hopefully) will soon be moving away!

Old 03-14-2008, 01:27 AM

881 posts, read 1,589,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
Those of us who are older than 40 can remember the days that people escaped to the suburbs to get away from crime and general trashy people that were so common in the City. What ever happened? I am afraid that the suburbs have got worse than the City. It use to be that the suburbs were mostly white, professional people who cared about their schools and were an oasis form the problems of the City. Now it seems like so many suburban communities have terrible schools, illegal immigrants, run down housing and ugly commercial strips with empty shopping centers. Where can I live to escape from the troubles of modern suburban living that is more like the suburbs of the 1950s?
I disagree. Many suburbs are far better to live in (less crime, less craziness, less traffic, healthier lifestyles) than in the cities. You may be saying suburbs are worst than cities because cities host large minorities and you are a "politically correct type". That is what your name says you are.

Come on now.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:28 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,250 times
Suburbs will continue to fall apart as transportation costs increase as well (not that I care...suburbia has been a huge failure). Either suck it up and live in the country or live in a city.

I live inside New Orleans now and I feel about as safe here as I did in Gwinnett County, a suburban county in metro Atlanta, difference being I'm much happier here, there is greater sense of community in the city, my work commute is much shorter and there is a sense of history here which is reflected in the traditions, neighborhoods and architecture within the city itself. And unlike the suburbs it's not designed to cut people off from each other. Remember suburbia as it is known now is a pretty recent thing, only since the 1950s economic "boom" and developers pushing the idea of a car in every driveway and tract housing in little subdivisions with cul de sacs at the end as the pinnacle of the American Dream has this really been a part of American society.
Prior to that people either lived in the city (or very close by) or they lived in the country.
The end of cheap gas will be the end of suburbia.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:25 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
As I understand it the successful criminals are the new rich ( or have always been the rich depending on how you look at it).
Isn't that the trend in the current movies where criminals diversify their criminal empire by going into the legit business?
I guess this happens when the only thing people will end up valuing is money; The get rich or die trying mentality.
Besides crime has always paid you only had to be smart about it, otherwise it would never have been so lucrative.

So in the end it doesn't matter in what neighbourhood the successful criminals decide to live in, their criminal businesses will follow them.
The only way to get rid of crime is to get rid of greed altogether.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
IMHO - Suburbia is a result of prosperous working and professional class folks creating a safe place to live away from both the poor and the urban elites. Economic policies since the 1970's have worked to destroy the prosperity of these people and places they have lived. In this economy very few of the children brought up in the suburbs can afford to buy a home and live near their families. The great experiment in American egalitarianism has been stopped because it was so successful and the elites resented the incursion of the uninvited into their preserves.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Suburbia is where the money/property is that the criminals want. People in suburbia have the money to buy drugs. Suburbia is a criminal's heaven because everything is so close (cookie cutter neighborhoods on top of each other), two wage earners so no one is home.

Suburbia is the perfect place for criminals.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:13 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by HappyTexan
Quote:
Suburbia is the perfect place for criminals.
What criminals and local politicians have in common is that they both want to make money.
Criminals buy up 'cheap' suburbia, people who lived there move out and suddenly the place gets renovated (permits are sold for the right price because lotsa palms had to be greased) and suddenly the place is sold with lotsa profit.
At least that was how it usually worked in the movies, instead of suburbia's it was the ghettos.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:47 PM

20,333 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Man, I don't know what suburbs some you live in but mine is 50-55 miles from NYC, teeming with wildlife (saw my first bear of the season on my walk yesterday!!) and very safe from a crime standpoint (according to city-data).

Move to a city? No thanks. Not my cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies