Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 08:03 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

My pride in my ethnic heritage, is fun and I think my family history makes up a bit of who I am. But just a bit.

I was also raised by two intelligent and, well, just wonderful individuals in a stable loving family. I'm not a fan of obsessive pride in heritage, particularly when it creates an I'm-better-than-you-because-of-my-lineage dynamic. Such beliefs are one of the foundations of racism.

This said, there is nothing wrong with feeling proud of where you are coming from. Balance is the key. I think it can be a pretty beautiful thing. (as long as it is not like stolen valor (aka claiming honor you didn't earn)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 08:21 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
I was born here, it's where I'm from.

Exactly! I had to laugh at the one you are replying to that was claiming that the so-called native Americans originated in the U.S. or on this continent. They were no more native than the Europeans were as they migrated here also.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:23 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
Im not proud of some of the history of my race, but history is not the present, we make our own present and future.

proud deplorable idiot here i guess.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:36 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,234 times
Quote:
Black people in America don't celebrate our "race." We celebrate our culture, heritage and history. That is what we are "proud" of. Same as you and other whites celebrating your American nationality.

I agree that as a black American I am not the same as a black person in another country. I do not claim to be and I would doubt that most black Americans would claim that we and say, a black Brazillian have some sort of specific bond over being black. We don't. But in America, we black Americans are proud of our collective history and culture in this nation. You and others may view that as a "race" pride, but it is not IMO.

I see it no different versus many of my friends/associates in the genealogy world who are proud of their German ancestors or their Quaker ancestors, or their Irish ancestors, or their Polish ancestors based upon the culture and activities of those communities and their struggles with being immigrants, pioneers, abolitionism, ethnic bias, and refugee status.
This makes perfect sense to me. I am a historian and a bit of a genealogist myself. I am also a Scots-Irish Southerner. I would NEVER hold anyone's skin colour or ethnicity against them. I have personally reached out to Muslims recently to ensure them that the hard right does not represent me or my beliefs.

having said that, with what is happening now...
I've stated that I Am against taking down 100 year old monuments and rob violence. In the last 24 hours I've been called a racist white trash slaver, white nationalist, etc. And this isn't the first time that I have had these sort of issues (mostly because my manner of speech signposts that I am a southerner). I'm tired of it. I am exhausted at the blatent comments, people calling me trash or assuming that I am something that I am not. That I am actually a deplorable (and no I didn't vote for Trump either just for the record). If this is a either you are with us in every way or against us and a Nazi, I'm out. Y'all are nuts.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:56 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
having said that, with what is happening now...
I've stated that I Am against taking down 100 year old monuments and rob violence. In the last 24 hours I've been called a racist white trash slaver, white nationalist, etc. And this isn't the first time that I have had these sort of issues (mostly because my manner of speech signposts that I am a southerner). I'm tired of it. I am exhausted at the blatent comments, people calling me trash or assuming that I am something that I am not. That I am actually a deplorable (and no I didn't vote for Trump either just for the record). If this is a either you are with us in every way or against us and a Nazi, I'm out. Y'all are nuts.
I couldn't have said it any better. I am from the same ancestry as you as well.

I refuse to pick a side if the sides are violent fascists vs. violent communists. I support EVERYONE's right to free speech, and oppose ANYONE who commits violence that isn't in self defense. If anyone doesn't like that or thinks that I am making moral equivalencies, too damn bad.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:03 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Seriously. That goes for blacks, whites, and whoever else.

Your race is not an accomplishment; you did nothing to earn it other than be conceived and plopped out of the vagina of someone of that race. What's there to be proud of? Might as well be proud of having an *******; everyone was born with one of those as well.

"Pride in race" these days is almost always a code for disparagement / segregation of other races.

What you're supposed to be proud of, if you're not an idiot, are actual individual accomplishments - that you worked hard and earned your college degree, raised good kids, paid a kind act forward, created something great, did the right thing when no one was watching and it was hard. And that is open to anyone of any race.

That is how you foster pride that actually builds a society up rather than tears it down.
Excellent point. This reminds me of people who are "proud of" their Southern heritage. They had nothing to do with it! I've lived in Georgia most of my life, and I've never understood this concept.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:37 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
ITA with this. And I think a lot of the posters don't understand the bold because as white Americans, most of them are unaware of separate struggles their ancestors had to overcome based on ethnicity. Also that those struggles were not as long standing as those of black Americans.

Onthis

Black people in America don't celebrate our "race." We celebrate our culture, heritage and history. That is what we are "proud" of. Same as you and other whites celebrating your American nationality.

I agree that as a black American I am not the same as a black person in another country. I do not claim to be and I would doubt that most black Americans would claim that we and say, a black Brazillian have some sort of specific bond over being black. We don't. But in America, we black Americans are proud of our collective history and culture in this nation. You and others may view that as a "race" pride, but it is not IMO.

I see it no different versus many of my friends/associates in the genealogy world who are proud of their German ancestors or their Quaker ancestors, or their Irish ancestors, or their Polish ancestors based upon the culture and activities of those communities and their struggles with being immigrants, pioneers, abolitionism, ethnic bias, and refugee status.

I think the highlighted is what most people are saying when they say that they are proud of being white, black, or whatever. I am proud of my culture, heritage, and history. It just so happens that being white is a part of that.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:16 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Having pride in ones culture can be uplifting, motivating and form strong bonds within the group. And imo that is a very positive thing. And it has been in the past for America, unlike all the guilt trips that the Libs and BLM are putting on the rest of us.

And Asians are also very proud of their nationality and their race. And what about the Gay Pride and Black Pride movements? Basically, it's okay to be proud as long as one isn't white. And that makes no sense and isn't fair to whites.

For many decades, I have been an admitted "anglophile" and no one in real life has ever objected to my saying that. I love British culture, I collect many types of British and American antiques. I love watching BBC productions and the English language. And when I visited Hong Kong 30 years ago, I appreciated what the British did for that colony. And even now, the Chinese cities on the mainland cannot match how amazing Hong Kong is. The Brits introduced their engineering techniques and their methods of organization and law to their colonies. India has their rail system because of the Brits. Yes, it would have happened eventually, but it happened much much sooner because of the British colonizing their country.

And yes, there were some downsides to colonization, however many countries were able to modernize much sooner because of it. Australia and Africa were continents where the natives were still living in the Stone Ages until the European influence.

And it's happened in ancient history many times also. As the Romans expanded their empire, they brought with them their building techniques along the way, like in England.

People who think that having pride is a sin are either jealous of what they don't have or brainwashed by religions who were trying to keep the "unwashed masses" from being discontented with their lot in life.
Bit if a digression:

Sure, the Europeans brought in superior technology, but they also devastated, exploited, and subjugated the local people along the way. It's easy for you from your Euro-centric perspective to gloss over what that meant for them; doubt you would have had the same feeling had you been one of those born to a family in a nation being colonized. As a white European, I do not feel some sense of pride in the colonization that took place. But I also get that it is what it is at this point and that there were many injustices in many different directions all throughout the history of mankind.

Back to the point: I am a member of the race, culture, and ethnicity that basically "won" the civilization competition and dominated the globe. Lots of good things came from that, like symphonies, antibiotics, internet, drinkable water. But I still don't feel a lot of personal pride in it because I had zilch to do with it. It was the pride of other individuals who took the time and effort to bring about certain improvements. I feel like it's a real cheap cop-out for some white guy who has done nothing with his life to take great pride in what his ancestors did. I accept my identity warmly and don't feel shame for it, but my pride basically really dwells in the realms of what I and others close to me accomplish in our lifetimes. Just my $0.02.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:12 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I think the highlighted is what most people are saying when they say that they are proud of being white, black, or whatever. I am proud of my culture, heritage, and history. It just so happens that being white is a part of that.
I am proud of what my ancestors had to go through just to survive. They were dirt poor until they were raising my generation. I hope I can live up to what they accomplished & how hard they worked to give my generation a better shot at life.

I never understood being proud of your skin color. For example, what the hell does it even mean to be "white"? My ancestors were primarily from what is now the United Kingdom. They were "white", but so are the French, Scandanavians, Germans, Italians & many other groups. I don't have anything in common with them culturally. I don't have very much in common with some of their American descendants either. I don't feel a special connection with them just because we have the same skin color.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:02 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I am proud of what my ancestors had to go through just to survive. They were dirt poor until they were raising my generation. I hope I can live up to what they accomplished & how hard they worked to give my generation a better shot at life.

I never understood being proud of your skin color. For example, what the hell does it even mean to be "white"? My ancestors were primarily from what is now the United Kingdom. They were "white", but so are the French, Scandanavians, Germans, Italians & many other groups. I don't have anything in common with them culturally. I don't have very much in common with some of their American descendants either. I don't feel a special connection with them just because we have the same skin color.

Well put and I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies