Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 08:31 PM

3,356 posts, read 1,232,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Again, and I've said this before, slavery was just one element of Southern society, and was NOT the sole reason for secession, nor the war. I think the issues of state's rights, and the Tariffs of the day were two of the other significant issues. I think of state's right as an essential, cornerstone of the U.S., plus over taxation in the forms of Tariffs is just plain WRONG.

So instead of Virtue Signaling all the time, and focusing solely on race, and slavery, maybe some should put their fragile egos aside, and learn from the past.
You are sadly mislead if you were suckered into believing the Civil War was all about "states' rights".
It was slavery.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:31 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I think they should stay, they are part of history and as such should remain, ignoring history does not change it.

Nope, and I do stand against the supremacists. Defend what?

And most do.
Then why don't you see monuments to Hitler or his generals in Germany?

Everyone knows why. Neo-Confederates arguments can't hold water..

Old 08-14-2017, 08:32 PM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Don't see any statues to those douche bags. And southern democrats back then were reprehensible people. Without question. How do you like wearing that mantle these days?
This isn't about me, I don't have a horse in this race. I'm just laughing at the tiny little brains and their blatant hypocrisy.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Then why don't you see monuments to Hitler or his generals in Germany?

Everyone knows why. Neo-Confederates arguments can't hold water..

There are no monuments to Hitler or any Nazi's. But there are plenty of buildings and streets named after German Generals from WWII.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:40 PM

26,476 posts, read 15,060,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Here is one link that I found quick:

In the the link:

--"New England slaves numbered only about 1,000 in 1708, but that rose to more than 5,000 in 1730 and about 13,000 by 1750."--

Slavery in the North

Another quick link:

--"Slavery was everywhere in Rhode Island, Rickman says. Slaves worked on South County farms and in the mansions in Newport. But it was the slave trade that was the "number one financial activity" for Rhode Island from 1720 to 1807."--

Slave trade was Rhode Island's 'number one financial activity' | www.jamestownpress.com | Jamestown Press

Slavery existed in ALL original 13 colonies, but during the American Revolution northern states started abolishing the evil institution as it wasn't congruent with the Declaration of Independence.

Also, most New England states like Rhode Island granted blacks the right to vote BEFORE the US Civil War -- more than a century before the Federal government FORCED southern states to give blacks the right to vote. In fact, South Carolina specifically mentions in their Declaration of Secession that one of the reasons why they are seceding is due to some New England states allowing blacks the right to vote.

Quote:
"This sectional combination for the submersion of the Constitution, has been aided in some of the States by elevating to citizenship, persons who, by the supreme law of the land, are incapable of becoming citizens; and their votes have been used to inaugurate a new policy, hostile to the South, and destructive of its beliefs and safety." -SC's D of S
There is a history of racism everywhere on this globe, but it is insane to think that it is pronounced as much in Rhode Island as it is in the South. According to the Tuskegee Institute, all six New England States combined lynched ZERO blacks from 1882 to 1968. Mississippi ALONE lynched 539 blacks during that same time period. Let's be honest where the most pronounced racism against blacks happened - the Deep South. Sure, New England has blemishes too, but it isn't in the same ball park as the Deep South.

Lynching Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Life was hard back then. It's beyond ridiculous to judge them by today's standards.

And it was your wonderful Democrats who opposed Abe Lincoln when it came to freeing the slaves.
#1 Today's standards?!?!?! Are you telling me that an intelligent man like Robert E. Lee couldn't grasp the concept that it might be considered questionable to kidnap free blacks in the North and take them away from their families to sell them? You do realize that the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, the biggest political issue of its day, was opposed in large measure because it could potentially enable such kidnappings.

#2 Yes, life was hard back then, if you were a free black in Pennsylvania kidnapped away from your family by the "honorable" Robert E. Lee on his way to losing at Gettysburg.

#3 I am not a Democrat and even if I were, what difference does it make what the party did more than a century before I was born? I agree with both parties on some issues and have voted for more Republicans than Democrats in my life.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 08-14-2017 at 08:50 PM..

Old 08-14-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
There are no monuments to Hitler or any Nazi's. But there are plenty of buildings and streets named after German Generals from WWII.
Why no monuments?

Old 08-14-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Why no monuments?
I agree, there should be monuments. There were great soldiers and leaders in Germany in those days even if they were controlled by a small number of Nazi's. The vast majority of Germany's military were not Nazi's but men of honor.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:46 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,169 times
The North, the Northern schools and Society have done such a great job of convincing just about everyone that is was "All about Slavery".

As mentioned, yes, Slavery was the biggest Issue, but it just wasn't that simple...

Old 08-14-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I agree, there should be monuments. There were great soldiers and leaders in Germany in those days even if they were controlled by a small number of Nazi's. The vast majority of Germany's military were not Nazi's but men of honor.
I see you tap danced around the question. Why do you think Germany doesn't have monuments of Hitler or his generals? Give it your best shot...

Old 08-14-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
The North, the Northern schools and Society have done such a great job of convincing just about everyone that is was "All about Slavery".

As mentioned, yes, Slavery was the biggest Issue, but it just wasn't that simple...
It was mostly money and control. By many accounts the South was going to free the slaves on their own. They knew they would never be accepted as an independent nation until they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies