Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 03:05 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
When did 20 trillion in debt become a Conservative value? (and yes, Republicans are responsible for that also).
When Obama took office on Jan. 20, 2009, the outstanding public debt totaled $10,626 Trillion. On Jan. 20, 2017, when Obama left office, outstanding public debt totaled $19,944 trillion, an increase of roughly $9.3 trillion. Comparatively, former President George W. Bush contributed far less to the debt. When Bush took office in January 2001, the debt was roughly $5.7 trillion.

obama-leaves-office-debt/

You're free to do more research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
When did attacking countries that did absolutely nothing to us become a conservative thing?
Be more specific please.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:08 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,394 times
The future for the Republican Party is grim simply due to the tide of demographics, Trump is at best incidental to it, whatever one feels about it that's the reality. Since the 1965 immigration law and its updates esp. the one in 1991 and the amnesty in 1986 (signed by Ronald Reagan oddly enough), the US gets about 1 million immigrants each year. In reality only a small fraction of them actually stay and settle, most go back home, but of that group that stay (the "long term immigrants") the overwhelming number are from Latin America, Africa and the Muslim world, all 3 of which tend to vote heavily Democratic. And even very "open tent" Republicans like Mitt Romney and John McCain, who was openly in favor amnesty, failed to capture much of that vote. (Trump actually did better with them, now there's an irony). Although the US govt doesn't keep exit statistics, the data from agencies overseas suggest that US actually has a negative balance with Europe, that is more Americans move there than come from there although a lot of this could just be students, and a near even balance with many Asian countries due to more and more booming economies there. So the US demographic picture is changing radically and with the immigration system as it is currently, nothing will stop the GOP from collapsing. Even without further immigration Texas is rapidly turning Democratic with a majority minority youth population, same with Florida and much of the South and Southwest.

So yes, the GOP is facing collapse but no, Trump actually has little to do with it, like I said even very open-borders and "open tent" Republicans like John McCain have utterly failed to get the minority vote, and Trump actually did better with those voters than Romney and McCain did. What's crippling the GOP is just the country's changing demographics due to the way immigration has changed. I'd like to see this as at least a neutral development, but given the tensions on display at Charlottesville, the cop shooting at Dallas last year, the Carolina church shooting, the other cop shooting in New Orleans-- I don't know, it seems like some nasty tensions are ahead. I hope it won't come to that.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:09 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When Obama took office on Jan. 20, 2009, the outstanding public debt totaled $10,626. On Jan. 20, 2017, when Obama left office, outstanding public debt totaled $19,944, an increase of roughly $9.3 trillion. Comparatively, former President George W. Bush contributed far less to the debt. When Bush took office in January 2001, the debt was roughly $5.7 trillion.

obama-leaves-office-debt/

George Bush still contributed to the debt. Most of it with wars against countries that did nothing to us. Some of Obama's budgets were written by the GOP also as they were in charge.

Yes, they are Obama's budgets. There are no excuses for what he did but he does not do them without the help of the GOP. Why did they do this to us?

Old 08-14-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Be more specific please.
Someone recently said.

Quote:
Not that it should be needed.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
George Bush still contributed to the debt. Most of it with wars against countries that did nothing to us. Some of Obama's budgets were written by the GOP also as they were in charge.

Yes, they are Obama's budgets. There are no excuses for what he did but he does not do them without the help of the GOP. Why did they do this to us?
I didn't say he didn't but look at the difference.

When Obama took office on Jan. 20, 2009, the outstanding public debt totaled $10,626. On Jan. 20, 2017, when Obama left office, outstanding public debt totaled $19,944, an increase of roughly $9.3 trillion.

Comparatively, former President G.W. Bush contributed far less to the debt. When Bush took office in January 2001, the debt was roughly $5.7 trillion. Thats an approx $4,926 Trillion increase.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:13 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I hope Trump is the catalyst by which the career, Establishment Republicans lose in their primaries, and are replaced by true conservatives that want smaller, more efficient government, and lower taxes.
That will not happen until the dark money is taken out of politics.

There is an awful amount of money to be made selling to the government, especially but not limited to military hardware. They can, and do, buy off Republican politicians by the basketful.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
That will not happen until the dark money is taken out of politics.

There is an awful amount of money to be made selling to the government, especially but not limited to military hardware. They can, and do, buy off Republican politicians by the basketful.
It won't happen until people understand that dark money, K street and the media don't like Trump because he threatens their gravy train. All the media has to do is convince enough people to destroy Trumps attempts and get that train rolling full steam ahead.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:28 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
This is rich! Without quoting CNN, MSNBC, Politico, etc, How so? Be specific, and no, banning Transgendered folks from the military is not ruining the country. Or do you mean North Korea? Where several administrations have all passed the buck to Trump who's leading like a boss. If you mean racial division, you can thank Obama for that one. The economy? Doing great under Trump as is the stock market.

I'm real curious to hear how Trump is ruining our country. Since you two are liberal extremists posting here 24/7, I really want to know. Give it your best shot.
Well if that is not the pot calling the kettle black. You post as much as I do and your views are on the alt-right extremist side.

My views are moderate. But next to extremism like yours I can understand your confusion as to what is and is not radical.

Let's look at Trump's record for the past 7 months:

1. Fractured alliances.
2. Broken Treaties.
3. Compromised Presidency.
4. Admiration of dictators/despots.
5. Ineptitude and Incompetence on every level.
6. Acquiescing to Russian interference in our election system.
7. Destroying the EPA.
8. Weakened USA interests around the world.
9. Making the USA a laughingstock.
10. Making nepotism great again.
11. Degrading our democratic institutions and intelligence agencies.
12. Promulgating the voter fraud rouse for political gain and at the expense of our democracy.
13. No respect for the rule of law.
14. Unethical behavior that is more commonly seen in third world nations.
15. A legacy of a weakened and debased presidency.

My fingers are getting tired. This is only a partial list and I could go on. Of course all the above may be acceptable to the alt-right, especially if they made a few bucks in the stock market.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I didn't say he didn't but look at the difference.
No. I am not comparing them. I am asking how any of this is a conservative idea.

It does NOT matter that Obama contributed more. I thought the conservative idea was to balance the budget. You think it's going to get cut under Trump? It's unlikely they will even pass one.

Do you see conservatism as this? "It's OK to increase welfare and illegal immigration as long as it isn't as much as the other party did? Is this what conservatism is now?

Don't you ever wish for something you could actually defend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies