Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 06:05 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
While that is true, it is a dangerous precedent to set for being able to earn a living. Taken to it's logical conclusion employers could fire someone for attending a Democratic or Republican event just as easily.
Logical conclusion =! reductio ad absurdum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 06:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
And you keep ignoring how free speech was understood has been changed recently by the left.
It doesn't matter what you imagine you understand, that is why it is enumerated in the constitution. So those with a modicum of intelligence can read it for themselves. Besides no one on the left has recently changed the first amendment

Old 08-14-2017, 06:09 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
The only way they should be fired is if their job specifically states that they have to work with people of color and are in some position to affect those peoples lives.

Some examples,

Public Servants who have case by case approval authority, realtors( I personally had a bad experience with a racist realtor who wouldnt show me a house), School teachers, Business Loan manager at a bank.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Well you can't reason with communist, BLM, La Raza and the rest so you can't just condemn the white or conservative one and not all the rest.
This is a repeatedly baseless assertion. You have been given a link to the list of "demands" from BLM and have yet to explain which are "communist" let alone how that makes that equivalent to racism.

Meanwhile on the hypocrisy channel, you complain about communism but are trying to make sure the government protects your job even if you are a problem for your employer. Lol.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The only way they should be fired is if their job specifically states that they have to work with people of color and are in some position to affect those peoples lives.

Some examples,

Public Servants who have case by case approval authority, realtors( I personally had a bad experience with a racist realtor who wouldnt show me a house), School teachers, Business Loan manager at a bank.
So an employer that serves the public, and has one of the faces of the Charlottesville white supremacists as an employee just has to suck up the loss in business? Suppose 50% of their clientele decides to stop going there because of the racist behind the counter. Should they just go out of business because Bob the racist has the right to free speech and now a guaranteed job?

Old 08-14-2017, 06:14 PM

16,581 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Nazi flag symbolic of the extermination of the Jewish race

Political Party

One of these things is not like the other.

It never fails to amuse me how you can say ABC and another poster reads XYZ. Of course the two are not equivalent.
However, as I said, if being able to fire someone for attending an affiliated event, then taken to extremes, association with a political party (as in my example of D's & R's) could result in the same thing. I doubt you'd be too understanding if your boss said "hey, I saw you at a Hillary/Trump event, so you are fired".

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Why can't an employer fire a man for attending an event of one of or both those entities?

The employer owes the employee a job if he can fire him for whatever reason he sees fit or for no reason at all.

Logically and morally there is no consistency being displayed here by the statists.
Well we both know that is not true. Even as a private employer, try firing someone for PC protected groups and see how long you stay in business. Rest assured if employers start firing people for merely being of a different political affiliation than the employer, then it will cause further HR/EEOC type protections to be instituted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen more frequently. That can definitely happen now.

I think the main reason it doesn't is because most employers don't really care about that. It's not viewed as a "negative" thing nor does it necesarilly impact most businesses.

But there are DEFINITELY cases where political associations with a brand have negatively/positively affected the company (e.g. see the backlash some Silicon Valley people got for even talking to Trump). And I imagine this could happen more frequently in the future (especially if we become more and more divided...which seems inevitable).
Well in theory, in any right to work state a private company can fire someone. The question is, does the employer decide to make a public statement and say Mary was fired for being a Democrat or Joe a Republican.
Instead, many will just use an excuse like being late, not up to performance standards, etc. and the person is gone without recourse.

I think I was laid off from a job once for not going with the flow regarding outside interests. However I couldn't prove it, because I was just told it was not related to anything I did or said. Not that I would have had much recourse, because the ones they kept were minorities, so that would have been like fighting city hall as they say.

`

Old 08-14-2017, 06:14 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm perfectly fine with the system, despite its imperfections. Yes, society is sometimes wrong (the imperfections I speak of), which is one major reason why we have the courts!

There is such a thing as the tyranny of the majority. The Civil Rights movement fixed a lot of what was wrong with that. Certainly we still have work to do, yet (such as giving protected class status to gay people, who I believe really are not that way "by choice").

No idea what you're talking about with the "vagina" comment.

What the hell is a statist...is this some sort of attack? Am I supposed to find this "offensive"? Same goes with "liberal"...is this some sort of "slight"?
A statist is someone who believes in the legitimacy of the government. You can be a liberal statist or a conservative statist but ultimately it's the same thing to me.

I'm just trying to find a morally and logically consistent approach in this matter from the folks on this board.

Thanks for at least answering me. No one else has even tried.

Snowflakes.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:16 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

Some examples,

Nah - it's reasonable to fire someone on this basis. I work with non-white people ALL of the time, and my job says literally nothing about the skin color of the people I'll work with/for.

In modern America, you are expected to work with all people. If you can't, why should an employee be obligated to give you a job? You are an enormous liability!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Why can't an employer fire a man for attending an event of one of or both those entities?

The employer owes the employee a job if he can fire him for whatever reason he sees fit or for no reason at all.

Logically and morally there is no consistency being displayed here by the statists.
Party affiliation is not a protected class. If an employer wants to fire people for that stuff go ahead. They also get to suffer the same potential consequence of their actions. Boycotts, loss of business, loss of good employees, all risks that an employer takes by firing someone for their beliefs. The thing is they are unlikely to face monetary consequences for firing racists. A good gamble for most businesses.

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times
I respect employment at will. I respect the right to fire any employee for attending any rally, protest, counter protest, be it right or left wing, be it this weekends rally or BLM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies