U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2017, 03:06 PM
 
3,618 posts, read 1,569,828 times
Reputation: 2194

Advertisements

Growing up with 9-11, global terrorism, school shootings, the 2008 Financial Crisis, and high unemployment numbers, racial tensions, and the first generation where whites as the minority, the future looks to be pretty racially divided in terms of politics


50k 'Gen Z' Students Identify as Republican - Hispanic Heritage Foundation

The Hispanic Heritage Foundation's poll conducted on over 80,000 high school students in the fall of 2016 found non-Hispanic whites overwhelmingly favored Trump over Clinton. The poll also found white Gen Zers to be substantially more pro-Trump than any other co-racial generational cohort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2017, 03:07 PM
 
3,618 posts, read 1,569,828 times
Reputation: 2194
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 03:11 PM
 
631 posts, read 242,844 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Growing up with 9-11, global terrorism, school shootings, the 2008 Financial Crisis, and high unemployment numbers, racial tensions, and the first generation where whites as the minority, the future looks to be pretty racially divided in terms of politics


50k 'Gen Z' Students Identify as Republican - Hispanic Heritage Foundation

The Hispanic Heritage Foundation's poll conducted on over 80,000 high school students in the fall of 2016 found non-Hispanic whites overwhelmingly favored Trump over Clinton. The poll also found white Gen Zers to be substantially more pro-Trump than any other co-racial generational cohort.

I'm distressed to say I agree with you, this looks like the Balkanization of America unfolding right before our eyes. And given the demographic tide I don't think anything will stop it. I like to not be pessimistic about these things but the realist in me says Charlottesville was just the tip of the iceberg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Long Island
6,522 posts, read 2,929,443 times
Reputation: 4779
They know him from reality tv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 03:20 PM
 
691 posts, read 255,162 times
Reputation: 374
between trump and clinton there was no good choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 03:23 PM
 
3,618 posts, read 1,569,828 times
Reputation: 2194
I think we are really reaching a real turning point.

Trump is the first republican to win the white youth vote since reagan.The twentysomethings of the 1980s associated the Democratic Party with the malaise of Jimmy Carter but things are far more balkanized racially now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Eastern Tennessee
2,537 posts, read 1,833,174 times
Reputation: 6641
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstelm View Post
between trump and clinton there was no good choice.
This cannot be stated often enough!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 03:33 PM
 
10,930 posts, read 5,047,926 times
Reputation: 4890
1) Most generation Z individuals are still children and cannot vote. Check back in ~10 years. It's far too early to extrapolate any patterns just yet.

2) Focusing on the white cohort (and white male cohort at that) will be a less and less meaningful statistic as this generation comes of age since it will be the least white ever.

Why not look at the cohort as a whole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 03:36 PM
 
631 posts, read 242,844 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
1) Most generation Z individuals are still children and cannot vote. Check back in ~10 years.

2) Focusing on the white cohort (and white male cohort at that) will be a less and less meaningful statistic as this generation comes of age since it will be the least white ever.

Why not look at the cohort as a whole?
This is true but OTOH I think what you say in #2 is the OP's point, it's that very fact that's going to lead to increased balkanization of America. As the numbers shift so substantially, there's going to be more voting in the USA in effect along tribal lines, which historically has almost always been a precursor to the breakup of nations. The figures in power might tr to use force of arms to demand people stay together in a while, but in such a vast, diverse and heavily armed country as the US, it's impossible to manage for long especially as the economy runs into trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 03:37 PM
 
631 posts, read 242,844 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I think we are really reaching a real turning point.

Trump is the first republican to win the white youth vote since reagan.The twentysomethings of the 1980s associated the Democratic Party with the malaise of Jimmy Carter but things are far more balkanized racially now
Yeah this, it's a self reinforcing cycle when such balkanization kicks in. I don't see anything stopping it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top