Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:30 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,828,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It would be a lot more meaningful if there was evidence they were supporting terrorism targeting the US.
I'm sure they had strict rules against any terrorist activity aim at US interests

Old 03-14-2008, 02:59 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
I'm just pleased at the acknowledgement that Iraq was supporting terrorism
I think if we attempted to blow up every country that could be accused of having supported "terrorism" of some variety over the history of their existence, we would have reached a rather bloody solution to the problem of world overpopulation, or possibly to the "problem" of world human population, period. Maybe Denmark or somewhere would still be left, although they might all be mutated with three arms, pig noses, occasional superpowers and things of that nature.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:50 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
I'm sure they had strict rules against any terrorist activity aim at US interests

Well, there's never been anything to say Iraq was behind the 9/11 attacks, the peole who were behind the attacks would have been a nice group to go to war against. The group the report doesn't link with Iraq.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:34 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well, there's never been anything to say Iraq was behind the 9/11 attacks, the peole who were behind the attacks would have been a nice group to go to war against. The group the report doesn't link with Iraq.
Thus the reason we attacked the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
So it was worth the lives of 4,000 American troops and uncounted numbers of Iraqis (estimates ranging from tens of thousands to a million) and the destruction of a nation "just to make sure?" That's screwed up. I hope their ghosts are glad that they died for such an important purpose, assuming that there are ghosts, which there probably aren't, they're probably just dead.
We will probably never know for sure, since Saddam is no longer in power, and his providing WMD to terrorists is no longer ever possible. You can ask the same about any war or police action we've been involved in.

Many family members of these fallen heroes will tell you that their loved ones believed in the cause.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:16 AM

44 posts, read 75,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
since he refused to do both of these, and because we knew that he had ties to Hamas and Hezbollah, we had to assume that he would be willing to provided these weapons to these organizations. .

i would check my statements before i make them if i were u. How could saddam a secular sunni muslim, have ties with Hezbollah, a religious shia group whose loyalty to Iran is never in question. (Iran is saddam's sworn enemy). As for Hamas, Saddam did fund Hamas every now and then, but how does that add up to him possibly supplying them with weaponary, that they then have to smuggle into palestine, beats me. If you are suggesting that Hamas or Hizbollah for that matter would use these weapons against americans, that is just plainly foolish. We only named Hamas and Hizbollah as terrorist groups only to appease Israel, that is a fact. Can you name a time when either group delibretly targeted Americans?. and please don't tell me about the marines barackade in Lebanon, that accuzations has as much merit as saddam hiding WMDs.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Curious. . . . putting aside intelligence data and politics for a moment, would you knowingly let Iran build a nuclear missile that could reach your home? Would you let the neighborhood tough guy aim a gun at you while you stood by and did nothing?
If I were the world, I'd be more fearful of the US using their nuclear missles.
Who is going to stop the US?

Old 03-15-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If I were the world, I'd be more fearful of the US using their nuclear missles.
Who is going to stop the US?
You're kidding right? We've had plenty of chances to use nukes and save American lives, but we've not done so. You can feel secure that not only will the U.S. never nuke another country, but we'll continue to be here protecting the rest of the world form those who might.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisjustice View Post
i would check my statements before i make them if i were u. How could saddam a secular sunni muslim, have ties with Hezbollah, a religious shia group whose loyalty to Iran is never in question. (Iran is saddam's sworn enemy). As for Hamas, Saddam did fund Hamas every now and then, but how does that add up to him possibly supplying them with weaponary, that they then have to smuggle into palestine, beats me. If you are suggesting that Hamas or Hizbollah for that matter would use these weapons against americans, that is just plainly foolish. We only named Hamas and Hizbollah as terrorist groups only to appease Israel, that is a fact. Can you name a time when either group delibretly targeted Americans?. and please don't tell me about the marines barackade in Lebanon, that accuzations has as much merit as saddam hiding WMDs.
You're right, I misspoke. There is no evidence of Saddam having support Hezbollah. However, the list of attacks on Americans is long. CAMERA: Timeline of Hezbollah Violence

These groups, along with Al Qaeda, and Saddam had common enemies, which causes an uncomfortable alliance in many cases. I would think that any group who intentionally bombs innocent civilian targets could legitimately be considered a terrorist organization.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:01 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Thus the reason we attacked the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Yeah, at least that made sense.

.500 may outstanding for a batting average but it's unacceptable for reaons to go to war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies