Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 06:22 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Exactly... this way they destroyed something, rather than letting it be removed and placed in museum where it belonged.

Not spreading a thing, just the fact that if they choose to destroy this, what's next? Washington and Jefferson were slave owners. Why not remove anything to do with them? When does it end?

never

That's how fascism works. You're lying to yourself if you think these fools represent America.
Not wanting to celebrate traitorous generals and symbols of slavery is far enough for me.

I agree, they shouldn't be destroyed. They should be in museums. We should learn about them. We should not forget them.

We should ALSO not celebrate them. In my opinion. That's not fascism (come on...really???). Do you even know what that word means?

Although, I think it should be left to the local cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 06:25 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Not the way to go about it.
Why?

It's not private property. Nobody is mixing their labor with the statue. It's more like disregarded material on unused land if you ask me.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:26 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
To be honest, I don't see myself getting upset over watching a Confederate statue being toppled. If it were up to me, every Confederate statue would be replaced by real Americans: John F. Kennedy, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Harry S. Truman, M. Scott Carpenter, John Glenn, Buzz Aldrin, Guion Bluford, Ron McNair, Ellison Nozuka, Horace Greeley, Earl Warren.

So you celebrate people breaking the law. Nice!

Old 08-14-2017, 06:26 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I hope all of them are identified and arrested. This is not the way things are done in this country.
Absolutely.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:27 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Not wanting to celebrate traitorous generals and symbols of slavery is far enough for me.

I agree, they shouldn't be destroyed. They should be in museums. We should learn about them. We should not forget them.

We should ALSO not celebrate them. In my opinion. That's not fascism (come on...really???). Do you even know what that word means?

Although, I think it should be left to the local cities.
Stop saying "celebrate" because nobody is celebrating these confederates. You're being dishonest by using that word.

Do you understand what fascism means? You should look it up. It has nothing to do with a political stance and more to do with being in lock step. Do you know the Latin root of the word? I doubt it.

Posted 3 days ago
Why do conservatives call the far-left fascists?

learn things

Old 08-14-2017, 06:30 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Then you are condoning illegal behavior. This is not how rational people handle things.
I never said I would topple them. Nor did I say the protesters should topple them. In another post I even said that it was vandalism. However, to me, the Confederates and Sadaam are all the same to me. In my instance, the Confederates were for my enslavement. I am not going to be the one to tell them "tear it down" in a vandalizing way. However, I would be far more upset if it was of a U.S. President. The only thing I can think about is what the Confederates were about.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:30 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Why?

It's not private property. Nobody is mixing their labor with the statue. It's more like disregarded material on unused land if you ask me.
Depends on the statue though. Some are on private property but have public use. Example - here in Charleston, we have Marion Square right in the heart of downtown. Monument or some such thing for Calhoun located there. People assume this is public property but it's actually privately owned by Washington Light Infantry and leased to the city for public use. So where does something like this fall? Privately owned but leased for public use.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Depends on the statue though. Some are on private property but have public use. Example - here in Charleston, we have Marion Square right in the heart of downtown. Monument or some such thing for Calhoun located there. People assume this is public property but it's actually privately owned by Washington Light Infantry and leased to the city for public use. So where does something like this fall? Privately owned but leased for public use.
I'm just assuming it's on public property (I prefer the term unused property because I don't believe in the concept of public property).

In order for property to be private you have to mix your labor with it. Simply having papers with a fictional entity (the government) doesn't make the property your own.

I understand I'm talking my crazy freedom from the government talk again but just telling it like it is.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
It doesn't matter, destruction of property is a crime... no matter how touchy feely good it makes the criminals destroying the property feel.

I see stiff fines in their futures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm just assuming it's on public property (I prefer the term unused property because I don't believe in the concept of public property).
You've said that twice, but whatever you prefer, it doesn't change what I said above.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:35 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You're right. These are mostly violent Leftist Democrats just showing more of their hate for the American people.

Obama would be proud.
Not all the American people..just the F***ed up ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies