Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:37 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
One of the primary mantras of the Right is "PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY". Personal responsibility is the trump card in life, to conservatives. Hence, the black condition of socioeconomic inferiority is something that blacks are PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR. Historical racism and oppression of blacks, hence, becomes EXCUSES. The kicker, though, is this. The only way that blacks can be personally responsible for the inferior socioeconomic condition is if the nature of blacks is inferior. I mean....if blacks are in an inferior condition and no one else is responsible for them being in that condition.....then our nature must be inferior. In other words, what makes other races more personally responsible than US? This implicit inferiority is what links up with white supremacist explicit beliefs.
Blacks are not inferior, but racism can't explain their inferior social condition. Many people of non-white races came to the US and succeeded in spite of racism.

The only possible explanation is that liberal social policies, such as welfare, prevented many blacks from succeeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 10:38 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Sigh.....is right!

yours is just another claim against black intelligence. Blacks don't know the true source of their problems. We just cannot figure it out......like white folks can. They know their problems, our problems, every bodies problems....better then those who live them. However, blacks.......we just can't figure it out....which again leads to the ubiquitous poor choice making argument.

Sigh.....we are simply poor choosers. If only we had brains. I guess we better follow the Yellow Brick road with the Tin Man, the Lion and the Scare Crow.....in our quest for a brain.
Not what I said, but what you read. If anything, you've been convinced by those that hold power that you can't live without them, and until you see that the situation won't change. Being convinced doesn't make you a poor chooser, it simply means that they're really good at playing the political game.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Here's my take with this, and people who use this argument.

You say kids should live with both parents but often support longer prison sentences, harsh sentencing for incarceration...when it's been quite clear that incarceration destroyed the fabric of many black communities through a phony War On Drugs.

And it's also been proven that whites and blacks use drugs at similar rates, but we know who is more likely to be locked away for selling or using drugs.

You want crime to stop in inner cities, but don't want more funding for summer employment, programs that help people find jobs, etc.
Another well-known and obvious cause of single parent homes was welfare, since married women couldn't get it. Sometimes women had more children just to increase their welfare check.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:43 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
One of the primary mantras of the Right is "PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY". Personal responsibility is the trump card in life, to conservatives. Hence, the black condition of socioeconomic inferiority is something that blacks are PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR. Historical racism and oppression of blacks, hence, becomes EXCUSES. The kicker, though, is this. The only way that blacks can be personally responsible for the inferior socioeconomic condition is if the nature of blacks is inferior. I mean....if blacks are in an inferior condition and no one else is responsible for them being in that condition.....then our nature must be inferior. In other words, what makes other races more personally responsible than US? This implicit inferiority is what links up with white supremacist explicit beliefs.
this is a tuff one. As a kid, my dad hammered me on persona responsibility. No matter the circumstance, his questioning of me was directed toward my response to the input. period.

for instance, I had a 7th teacher that absolutely hated me. There was zero question about that. In fact as an adult years later, that teacher came to me with tears and apologized to me for how she treated me. She singled me out, she would punish if I stepped out of line even if 5 or 6 people were doing it, they got a pass and I didn't.

It was so bad, my mom went to the school (I had no clue about this at the time and only found out after the teacher apologized) and hashed it out with her and the principle.... who agreed with my mom.... I mean it was bad.

At home, my parents never questioned that teacher, never once said it was ok. Rather in every incident their response to me was "what did you do" "what was your reaction". NEVER ONCE did they take my side. It was a really bad year. and oh by the way, the expectation was that I excelled in the schoolwork in that class.

I hold my kids to that same standard. period. there is no such thing as an excuse for poor behavior.

Now that has nothing to do with race or politics.

And the reality of my generation (sadly this is fading from society today) we were all raised that way.

I agree that Blacks have been disadvantaged by society. I agree that systemic racism is and has been a real thing. I agree that there are outside forces that have brought large portions of the African American community to poverty and have held them there generationally.

so what do we do? You have suggested that the "republican" trump card is Personal Responsibility... I would argue its not a trump card, its a perspective informed by how we were raised and our own self expectation.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:44 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
You know what keeps people down? Poverty. You know what the main causes of poverty are? Drugs, out of wedlock births without a 2 parent household, and lack of education.
The current black culture is why so many are poor. Not racism. Not that their ancestors 160 yrs ago may have been slaves. When your culture glorifies gangbanger activity, drugs, violence, anti authority, and single parenthood, you are not going to be successful as a culture. When your culture calls successful members of your race Uncle Toms (like they do to Thomas Sowell for example) because they are successful, value education, hard work and speaking properly you will not be successful. It's not racist to acknowledge that.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:44 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Blacks are not inferior, but racism can't explain their inferior social condition. Many people of non-white races came to the US and succeeded in spite of racism.

The only possible explanation is that liberal social policies, such as welfare, prevented many blacks from succeeding.
That is like starting a sentence with "I am not a racist" or "some of my best friends are black"....as a disclaimer for then saying or implying something racist.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
That is like starting a sentence with "I am not a racist" or "some of my best friends are black"....as a disclaimer for then saying or implying something racist.
There is nothing racist about saying blacks were harmed by liberal social policies. They were given the message that they are victims and can't succeed on their own.

Many other minority groups came here and faced very difficult challenges, and most managed to be successful. What about the Jews, who were despised and persecuted horribly? Instead of deciding they were victims who needed welfare, they worked hard and became educated.

There are plenty of white people who never try hard, and always need help from others. But whites are not taught that they are victims and need help, so they are MORE likely to help themselves.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:51 AM

Although, there is one important difference between blacks and other American minority groups. Black slaves had no extended families, so after they were freed they did not have that advantage. Other minority groups helped each other and have a sense of community. Blacks were deprived of that.

So they do have that excuse, but it probably does not account for the much higher rates of crime, and violent crime, and poverty, among blacks today.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm a Democrat and I blame much of this on liberals and the fact that white people are constantly getting mixed messages.

Look through these threads and you'll see various posts from some black members who say white people don't understand what they have to put up with in a racist world, etc. Yet someone will start a thread for black people asking about racism, and those same black posters say they don't experience racism.

You'll see posts from black members stating many white people are misinformed thinking all black people live in ghetto's (which is true...some white posters are ignorant and think that) and several will state they're college educated, have good jobs, live in middle-class neighborhoods, send their kids to good schools, sent their kids to college and now their kids have good jobs, etc. Also true.

Yet some of those same posters will post that they're economically behind and have suffered because of it.

Some will boast that black women are the most educated group in America today - a claim I've finally looked into and found to be false, yet those same posters are for lowering of standards and requirements for black people.

Mixed messages abound.

Now, on to the liberals who have done minority groups no favors.

It's the liberals who have done much to keep black people enslaved. They're the ones constantly saying, 'but they need help....' It's the liberals wanting to do away with tests because they're unfair to minorities. It's the liberals who demand requirements be lowered for minorities otherwise the deck is stacked against them.

What they're saying is you're too stupid to make it. WTH kind of message does that give any group?

White people have been hearing this message for how long? And what kind of impression do you think that gives white people?

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot embrace lower requirements because they're unfair, yet bemoan the impression that gives people.

I'd be screaming bloody damn murder if someone targeted a group I was part of, in that way.

Liberals do NOTHING to get people trained, out of poverty, off drugs, out of social programs, etc. It was the liberals who stated it was racist not to embrace ebonics. What was the impact of that? The impact was that even if college educated, some people have reduced the odds of their being hired because they cannot speak English properly. Blame the liberals, don't blame the conservatives for that.

It was the liberals who told black people to embrace their African roots and name your children anything you'd like. What was the impact of that? Even black people I know who are hiring say they'll hire a 'Morgan' over a name they have no interest in having to learn how to say or spell. So the end result is - people have reduced the odds of their being hired.

Right or wrong, this is what's going on in the real world and you want to blame white people and / or Conservatives.

Until you wake up and figure out what's really going on, nothing is going to change.
Black people aren't enslaved in regards to the bold.

And both white liberals and white conservatives can and many do believe that blacks are inferior to them in regards to intelligence and a variety of other factors. I will disagree with some of what Indentured Servant is saying on the subject because even though I do agree that conservatives are much more vocal about including racial inferiority in their rhetoric, I believe that liberals also have racial inferiority in their ideology and view of blacks as perpetual victims in need of saving.

On Ebonics, not sure why this is even brought when that occurred, I believe (without google) that this was a school system in Oakland, CA and that it was lead by black people who believed that black children should be aware of how our vernacular (i.e. 'ebonics') has culturally significance. It was never pushed by "liberals" to my knowledge to be taught in schools.

In regards to the blue, black people tell ourselves to name our children anything we would like....

I find it odd that so many conservatives like yourself believe that black people in America do whatever white liberals tell us to do or that they are our slave masters.

This sort of idea - that we are too stupid to think for ourselves, is also a symptom of believing we are an inferior race of people.

Will note it is always interesting to me that many whites think black people blame them personally for any/all problems of black people as a whole. Yet then turn around and want to claim that blacks have a victimization complex....

Old 08-15-2017, 10:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Although, there is one important difference between blacks and other American minority groups. Black slaves had no extended families, so after they were freed they did not have that advantage. Other minority groups helped each other and have a sense of community. Blacks were deprived of that.

So they do have that excuse, but it probably does not account for the much higher rates of crime, and violent crime, and poverty, among blacks today.
Blacks have always had extended families...

Not sure where you are going with that. Familial connections are a core tenet of black culture in America. After the Civil War formerly enslaved black Americans actively sough out lost/sold off relatives, but most had a family to depend on. Oftentimes our ancestors only had their family and extended community of other blacks, which was looked upon as an extended family, for protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies