Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times

Advertisements

half a truth is still a lie. msm every day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Well with our history white washed what would Democrats and the media do to stir everyone into a frenzy?
Taking down statues doesn't make history disappear.

And here in the south -- it has been Republicans who have objected to any honesty in the history teaching here.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
When people blame the media for others not thinking the same way it suggests that somehow the ones who watch CNN are inferior. Meanwhile Brietbart is the source for the person calling CNN fake news.
No, you don't get it obviously. Words are powerful and the media is well versed how to use language to manipulate people. The founding fathers understood this and that's why they are supposed to be our protectors, not instigators.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:25 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

Totally agree.

When people blame the media for others not thinking the same way it suggests that somehow the ones who watch CNN are inferior. Meanwhile Brietbart is the source for the person calling CNN fake news.

Reality -- read many sources, interpret......research.

And most people do.
You really can't even segment it by channel or media outlet, I always make it a point to google the history of the actual reporter delivering the message. Media as a whole is a pretty incestual industry and some of these people bounce around between stations, and some of them even from government to the media.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
half a truth is still a lie. msm every day
That's just not true. It's your opinion.

Maybe that's the problem -- y'all don't know fact from opinion, feelings, emotions, and made up narratives.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
You really can't even segment it by channel or media outlet, I always make it a point to google the history of the actual reporter delivering the message. Media as a whole is a pretty incestual industry and some of these people bounce around between stations, and some of them even from government to the media.
Exactly. When I read a story and even if it supports my views, I will check out the author, the source..and then I will go read a source that may not support my view but I know will have a different slant.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:33 AM

16,542 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
The liberal media is to blame for this too. Nazi propagandist Joe Goebbels said, “A lie told once remains a lie but a lie told a thousand times becomes the truth.” Hearst (one of the nation’s largest diversified media), one said, "You furnish the pictures and I’ll furnish the war.” The viewers of the liberal media are lied to so much they believe what their told is the truth, they are furnishing the war.

The power of the media over how people think cannot be overestimated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Then I suggest you quit watching Fox.
The irony here is both of you seem to think that only one side is engaging in smears, lies, propaganda, astroturf, etc., etc.

In reality both sides of the political spectrum and culture wars are doing things as innocuous as slanting actual stories from an ideological perspective, to as insidious as making up total fabrications in an effort to destroy the opposition. This is not only happening in the political arena, but also in the corporate world and other places few know about.

Sharyl Attkisson's new book entitled "The Smear" exposes how modern day tactics have totally altered what is considered professional journalism by what could be termed The Industrial Smear Complex.
She is not a left or right leaning journalist, and has a record of going after both Republicans, Democrats and huge corporations for wrongdoing.

She gives multiple examples throughout the book from being "Borked" to "Swiftboating", and exposes political smear merchants and the billionaires like Soros and the Koch's who fund them.
So there is something for everyone in this book to help open your eyes to what is going on behind the scenes, that we believe is news and grassroot efforts;

https://www.amazon.com/Smear-Shady-P.../dp/0062468162

`

Old 08-15-2017, 10:44 AM

923 posts, read 494,756 times

Old 08-15-2017, 10:47 AM

16,542 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
While you might think using Google to look up a reporters bent is helpful (and I commend you for making the effort), the results you find probably are not what it seems.
Companies with vast sums of $$$ are intentionally demonizing reporters who do not follow their agenda, and actually alter the Google search results. They will create a so called reliable source or fact checking group, and fabricate stories about who they perceive as a threat to their interests/candidates/corporation.

They will then use tactics to get the fake/fabricated stories on the first page, and push objective reviews/journalism to page 7.
Needless to same most people will only take the time to go to page 1, maybe page 2 then they give up.

See my previous post and read Attkisson's book. It will open your eyes to things you have only suspected or never even thought might be going on in the murky world of so called journalism.

`

Old 08-15-2017, 10:49 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
The liberal media is to blame for this too. Nazi propagandist Joe Goebbels said, “A lie told once remains a lie but a lie told a thousand times becomes the truth.” Hearst (one of the nation’s largest diversified media), one said, "You furnish the pictures and I’ll furnish the war.” The viewers of the liberal media are lied to so much they believe what their told is the truth, they are furnishing the war.

The power of the media over how people think cannot be overestimated.
All the weak minded are under their control. The average liberal is so easy to mold and manipulate emotionally.

There isn't a shred of honesty in the MSM....they're all big fat liars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies