Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 10:51 AM

57,074 posts, read 26,036,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, I don't watch either left or right. Funny thing, there's this thing called the internet and my knowledge of history. I took interest in history when my uncles served in WWII, one a navigator, the other seeing battle in the South Pacific, one bringing a war bride (aunt Pearl) home from the UK and by reading I don't need to be told what to think, thank you . I also understand what yellow journalism is. There was a time I listened to the left but now I just shake my head in disgust. They think people are stupid and easily manipulated. They're offensive to you, to all of us, and you don't know it actually.
So what do you watch, what specific source do you use on the internet that allows you to judge.

Books are not a substitute for newspapers and many have their own slant, so what makes you so able to distinguish fact from fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 10:52 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,671,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What news outlet has called him racist & a Nazi? For real, what news reporter has said that? I'd like links to legit sources.
My god where have you been? One example is Maxine Waters gets on MSNBC and calls him that all the time.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:55 AM

20,704 posts, read 8,477,284 times
I'm reading The Smear now. Excellent book. You will watch and read news in a totally different way once you are informed. Things are worse than you think! I'm sure more than a few posters on this forum are hired by Media Matters companies. The author also talks about the fake Facebook profiles. I sometimes wonder if I am talking to only five people on this forum because the rest are bots or dupes hosted by paid actors!

Now I need to see if my library will buy Dick Morris' new book, Rogue Spooks, about how the Deep State controls the government. Great interview with him last night on Coast to Coast AM radio show. Interesting Clinton stories since he worked for them.

Fox News is actually more fair and balanced than Alt Left media wants you to believe. Not hard for Fox considering the Alt Left media is anti Trump all the time. Fox actually will criticize him and some of his appointees. So if you consider yourself intelligent, informed and broad minded you might want to watch Fox. I recommend Tucker Carlson since he debates liberals on every show. Hannity has information and sources that other shows will never be able to get. He also has Dems on to debate as well. Listen to differing opinions and think independently.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:56 AM

11,932 posts, read 6,522,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Here's a good example. Many of my friends on Facebook are talking about how Trump has defended white supremacists with his statements from the press conference on Monday; posting clips from Jimmy Kimmel and a couple news articles. I have some free time this morning, so I sat down and watched the entire thing. OMG, people. He did no such thing. My 12 year old daughter watched with me. When it was over, I asked her to re-cap what he'd said. Her take was that he was trying to get the reporters to admit that both sides in Charlottesville were using violence. I asked her if she thought it sounded like he was defending neoNazis. Her answer was a resounding 'no'.

If a twelve year, with no political leanings, can listen dispassionately and come up with that answer, why can't my very intelligent and well-educated friends see the same thing? The only theory I can come up with is that they didn't bother to listen to what was actually said, but instead let the media coverage decide what their reaction should be.
^^^this this this this^^^^
Best post of the week!

It's just become crazy what's happening with the twisting and spinning of facts into fake news and partisan spiel.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:09 AM

I used to DVR Morning Joe and catch it about once, maybe twice a week. Joe is supposed to be an R and Mika the D. Joe would get tough on Trump but hey. I did notice that once Joe and Mika became an item Joe changed. The show became extremely hateful. The last times I watched they were name calling, spewing hatred so "vile" that I stopped watching and canceled their show on the DVR.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I'm reading The Smear now. Excellent book. You will watch and read news in a totally different way once you are informed. Things are worse than you think! I'm sure more than a few posters on this forum are hired by Media Matters companies. The author also talks about the fake Facebook profiles. I sometimes wonder if I am talking to only five people on this forum because the rest are bots or dupes hosted by paid actors!

Now I need to see if my library will buy Dick Morris' new book, Rogue Spooks, about how the Deep State controls the government. Great interview with him last night on Coast to Coast AM radio show. Interesting Clinton stories since he worked for them.

Fox News is actually more fair and balanced than Alt Left media wants you to believe. Not hard for Fox considering the Alt Left media is anti Trump all the time. Fox actually will criticize him and some of his appointees. So if you consider yourself intelligent, informed and broad minded you might want to watch Fox. I recommend Tucker Carlson since he debates liberals on every show. Hannity has information and sources that other shows will never be able to get. He also has Dems on to debate as well. Listen to differing opinions and think independently.
I just purchased The Smear in Kindle format last night. I'm looking forward to reading it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JYX44LE...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Old 08-16-2017, 11:35 AM

5,039 posts, read 2,252,523 times
Discussing this with my daughter (not sure why the sudden interest from her - summer boredom?), we went back and watched the initial comment from Trump. The majority of media outlets that we Googled were upset by his use of the term 'many sides'. That was reinforced by the questions asked during Monday's press conference. Trump fairly successfully made it clear that there was violence coming from both sides. Fast forward to today's media frenzy, and we noticed that the media was no longer talking about 'sides', but debating his use of 'many innocent people'. We both question how many truly innocent people would have shown up at that rally. What's equally disturbing is the immediate shift away from their own mistakes, to his (quite real) exaggeration. Shifting blame; shifting focus; keeping as negative light as possible on Trump.

We're now going to go back and look at some of the right-leaning coverage.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:39 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,588,801 times
Quote:
LOL, I don't watch either left or right. Funny thing, there's this thing called the internet and my knowledge of history. I took interest in history when my uncles served in WWII, one a navigator, the other seeing battle in the South Pacific, one bringing a war bride (aunt Pearl) home from the UK and by reading I don't need to be told what to think, thank you . I also understand what yellow journalism is. There was a time I listened to the left but now I just shake my head in disgust. They think people are stupid and easily manipulated. They're offensive to you, to all of us, and you don't know it actually.

but the leftist people are exactly as you describe...stupid and easily manipulated.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:40 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,528,349 times
Quote:
My god where have you been? One example is Maxine Waters gets on MSNBC and calls him that all the time.
Reread my post, then try again.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Discussing this with my daughter (not sure why the sudden interest from her - summer boredom?), we went back and watched the initial comment from Trump. The majority of media outlets that we Googled were upset by his use of the term 'many sides'. That was reinforced by the questions asked during Monday's press conference. Trump fairly successfully made it clear that there was violence coming from both sides. Fast forward to today's media frenzy, and we noticed that the media was no longer talking about 'sides', but debating his use of 'many innocent people'. We both question how many truly innocent people would have shown up at that rally. What's equally disturbing is the immediate shift away from their own mistakes, to his (quite real) exaggeration. Shifting blame; shifting focus; keeping as negative light as possible on Trump.

We're now going to go back and look at some of the right-leaning coverage.
Yes I agree with this. If I knew the KKK was holding a rally even if though I don't think they should be taken down, I'd have serious reservations about going. Who knows, maybe some didn't but that's my take.

I do wonder, what next? Book burning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies