Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:14 PM

418 posts, read 564,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
A decline in GDP for two or more consecutive quarters constitutes a recession. We're no where close.
Technically, definition is right...i can confirm as economist

However, the real message is that US MIGHT go into recession... meaning, that it is possible that this quarter will be negative. Therefore, a possibility exists that the following will also be.

But for now, it's speculation.

But our living standards are degrading. Have been for some time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 06:24 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
at least the majority of economists think so. How low will the US$ drop? I read an interview with one expert that predicted the $ will drop to 2 to 1 for the Euro. When will things turn around? What do you think?

The Wall Street Journal
Well it is going to be bad for awhile. If you take 100.00 to Kroger, you get this:

a loaf of bread 3.99
soda (diet) 2.99
milk 3.99
paper towels 2.99
t/p 3.99
cold cuts 3.99
lettuce 2.99
tomato 3.00/lb. Roma
salad dressing 3.99
gas to get to store 10.00
shampoo 5.00
soap 3.99
Tn sales tax on food 9%

It is like 1975 all over again. Add the factor that according to loudobbs, more people are using their high interest credit cards to buy basic staples: so thats 8-20% interest. For food.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 03-13-2008 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: add

Old 03-13-2008, 06:36 PM

19 posts, read 154,166 times
They should change the definition of recession because the economic definition is 2 consecutive quarters with negative growth, right now I know there is a problem about the US economy but there isn't one quarter of negative growth.

edit: Sorry someone wrote the same thing earlier.

I was wondering though since there isn't one quarter yet but all the newspapers talk about it for months they are not helping, I mean the confidence of investors goes down with the negative news which will create that recession or worsen it.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 PM

9,394 posts, read 11,143,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youppi69 View Post
They should change the definition of recession because the economic definition is 2 consecutive quarters with negative growth, right now I know there is a problem about the US economy but there isn't one quarter of negative growth.

edit: Sorry someone wrote the same thing earlier.

I was wondering though since there isn't one quarter yet but all the newspapers talk about it for months they are not helping, I mean the confidence of investors goes down with the negative news which will create that recession or worsen it.
If it bleeds it leads.

The newsies' job #1 is to create panic and fear. That sells papers and advertising.

The consequences escape them--and they clearly consider themselves immune to consequences, unlike the common herd--despite their self-proclaimed brilliance.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:46 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,305 times
Maybe a major recession would do this country some good, many good things happened for the nation after the Great Depression and the minor one in the 1970's. Besides we are too cocky in this country right now, a little adversity would get some needed change huh!!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times
The official chronology of the US business cycle is maintained by NBER (National Bureau of Economic Research). It is they who make the call as to whether or not a recession occurred. Here is their (and thus, the official) definition of a recession...

A recession is a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real GDP, real income, employment, industrial production, and wholesale-retail sales. A recession begins just after the economy reaches a peak of activity and ends as the economy reaches its trough. Between trough and peak, the economy is in an expansion. Expansion is the normal state of the economy; most recessions are brief and they have been rare in recent decades.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:05 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,656 times
who cares about semantics. The fact is that inflation is real and as long as your employer pays you in USD you're getting paid less for the same work you do with your hands, quantity that hasn't changed from year to year. That's the real indication to the individual REAL person, forget wall street and their speculation.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
I've watched gas go up from $2.50 to $3.20 in a few months.
I've seen my food bill go from $75 to $130 in a few months.
I've seen interest rate in my MM go down to almost nothing in a few months.

All of the above yet my paycheck is the same. The dollar is falling and prices are rising.

The government won't announce anything ..they are in denial until they get enough data.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:36 PM

418 posts, read 564,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I've watched gas go up from $2.50 to $3.20 in a few months.
I've seen my food bill go from $75 to $130 in a few months.
I've seen interest rate in my MM go down to almost nothing in a few months.

All of the above yet my paycheck is the same. The dollar is falling and prices are rising.

The government won't announce anything ..they are in denial until they get enough data.
This is what I'm saying... the absurd thing IS, that even when US economy is growing well, many people are worse and worse every year.

Fi, your premiums going up faster than salary... this has been happening for a long time now, EVEN when economy was expanding.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:28 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,433,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
This is what I'm saying... the absurd thing IS, that even when US economy is growing well, many people are worse and worse every year.

Fi, your premiums going up faster than salary... this has been happening for a long time now, EVEN when economy was expanding.
yep. a select few at the top get richer, most of us don't, we see that what we can buy for our pay shrinking week by week, higher food prices, higher heating cost, higher transportation etc. etc. The dropping $ won't help...

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies