Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 02:00 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But wasn't slavery legal at the time? Not to defend slavery but what makes it so horrid for men to take up arms in defense of a legal right? Many of those men also served in the US Army prior to the Civil War too, it's not as if they were outside agitators who'd never served their country.

IMO all this energetic outrage over decades old inanimate objects would be better used to protest things that affect us today like involvement in asinine wars of choice of no benefit to the US. Think what you will but those statues cause no harm.

Seems the anger is selective, since it didn't start with Robert Byrd.......how many places carry the Byrd name proudly?

Better yet, how about anything with Clinton and Gore......
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...992&ajaxhist=0

Can anyone tell us what changed for the Democrats? This was 1992 and looks like the Confederate Flag was alive and well for many Democrats. Now Dems want it to look like it's President Trump who sides with all this mess. Taking down their own history and replacing it with who's history......remember Mohammed had slaves, also!

Muslim Group Demands Every Confederate Statue Be Banned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 02:20 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
I love how leftist and black people use the N word everyday to each other and think a statue of a dead man is their biggest threat, yet the north won the war, slavery was removed. Yet they go out of their way to use the words of racists to say hello to themselves. You think about it really hard and tell me where your idealism matches the actions.

I also want to point out the thousands of white and black men who died for a cause in the civil war and I wonder if the left understands the difference on what REAL injustices look like or a bunch of idiots on the streets screaming white power or black power, hitler etc.

Also the southern war vs the north, was also about state rights vs federal government.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
And? It is still taxpayer land.
but it is STATE tax payer land and the statue was approved by the state tax payers, so dont you think it would be up to them?

Old 08-16-2017, 02:35 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I love how leftist and black people use the N word everyday to each other and think a statue of a dead man is their biggest threat, yet the north won the war, slavery was removed. Yet they go out of their way to use the words of racists to say hello to themselves. You think about it really hard and tell me where your idealism matches the actions.

I also want to point out the thousands of white and black men who died for a cause in the civil war and I wonder if the left understands the difference on what REAL injustices look like or a bunch of idiots on the streets screaming white power or black power, hitler etc.

Also the southern war vs the north, was also about state rights vs federal government.
I don't use the N word. Not many days, not most days, not any days. Never have and can't see that I ever would. NONE of the black folks in my family nor my friends would either. What leftist do you know using these words everyday? Who are these people, why are you with them? Maybe you should ask them not to use that language.

What makes you think the people who would use that language are the majority of the ones who are protesting? Nor do I think a statue is the greatest threat, however that does not preclude me from wanting it removed. Like most humans I can care about more than one thing at a time.

Do you think it is those who are using that word amongst themselves who are the real threat to society, or do you think it might be the actual oppression that is at fault?

Not sure what the point of your second paragraph is. Why do you choose to castigate only liberals when speaking of white power or black power, hitler etc when speaking of the civil war?

You say "Also the southern war vs the north, was also about state rights vs federal government." I agree, much of it was about the southern states desire to have the right to keep slaves.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-16-2017 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-16-2017, 02:36 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Thread after thread after thread started today by those think there is some sort of "gotcha" to be had by suggesting the left is out to destroy anything and everything that has a vestige of a connection to slavery.

Is it really so difficult to understand that acknowledging that slavery existed is not the same thing as honoring those who were traitors to the United States and declared war against our country in order to preserve their right to own fellow human beings, esp. when participating in the Civil War is pretty much the sole reason there are statues and monuments for these men.

Yes, Washington and Jefferson owned slaves, but by all means, go ahead and show me which monuments specifically and solely honor them for their status as slave owners and the war they fought to perpetuate that barbarity....
Stubbornness?

Old 08-16-2017, 02:38 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I don't use the N word. Not many days, not most days, not any days. Never have and can't see that I ever would. NONE of the black folks in my family nor my friends would either. What makes you think the people who would use that language are the majority of the ones who are protesting?
I think they just watched too many episodes of Snowfall or something...

Old 08-16-2017, 02:42 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,383 times
To answer the thread question, yes, it's proving to be THIS difficult. You can give them exact quotes from the very people they claim as their "heritage" saying that the entire war was over slavery...and people still skip over this stuff. People are really choosing to ignore history while they scream about "erasing it". It's a very funny thing to witness.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:58 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
but it is STATE tax payer land and the statue was approved by the state tax payers, so dont you think it would be up to them?
Black people have paid taxes in this country for as long as anyone else. Do you think they voted to have "colored" water fountains? "Colored bathrooms?" When taxes were paid to build colleges and universities, what percentage were forbidden to attend? Often, or almost always 100%.

Disenfranchisement, was not limited to just voting for elected officials.

Techniques of Direct Disenfranchisement, 1880-1965

"Direct" disenfranchisement refers to actions that explicitly prevent people from voting or having their votes counted, as opposed to "indirect" techniques, which attempt to prevent people's votes from having an impact on political outcomes (e.g., gerrymandering, ballot box stuffing, stripping elected officials of their powers).
  • Violence
  • Fraud
  • Poll Taxes
  • Literacy Tests
  • Restrictive and Arbitrary Registraton Practices
  • The White Primary

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-16-2017 at 03:16 PM..

Old 08-16-2017, 05:11 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Oh, FatBob, FatBob, FatBob.

Folks do indeed have a legal right to object to being threatened, intimidated, and beat with clubs and torches...

The KKK/Nazi folks didn't show up to say offensive things, they showed up to fight.

Plenty of video evidence of this.
What does that have to do with not having a right to never be offended by anything?

And if Anitfa didn't show up (also with weapons and NO permit) there would have been no one for the KKK types to threaten, intimidate ETC.

It takes two to tango.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:30 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Not many people took offense when Ken Burns produced his ground-breaking documentary The Civil War some 20+years ago. Burns has gone on to a number of similar efforts, most of them presenting his own point of view in the process. And Burns was an early proponent of the increasingly-parroted argument that slavery, and slavery alone, was the cause of the Civil War.

But regardless of that point, Burns' work was a no-holds-barred account of a conflict which came to within a hair's breadth of ending the American Experiment, and of the means by which it was saved, as opposed to the interminable petty bickering which characterizes too many of the controversies aired here. We do ourselves a disservice by hiding both the controversies and the attempts by either side to reinforce its view by the use of memorials -- or their destruction in the name of the quasi-legitimized fad of Political Correctness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies