Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2017, 09:28 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I will come out and say what I think. Whenever I hear "forced association" being mentioned, nothing about freedom comes to mind. To me it's code for "we want Jim Crow back. We want "no Blacks allowed" to be the law. We want to control where certain people can and cannot go". Using the term "forced association" is a way of obscuring the motives. By cloaking it in "freedom" making it look more like "we just want freedom", it obscures the motive. Nothing about freedom in this because said persons really want to limit the freedoms of others.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:32 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly.
Now if said persons would just go ahead and admit it.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:40 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
We are all familiar with the phrase "diversity is our strength." I would like to know what the historical basis for that is. Sure, US has always been "multi-cultural" but all of those cultures came from the same race/geographic area and were always forced to assimilate into one culture. Where did the idea that a society made up roughly equally of fiver different races would be better than a county of only one race?

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, just trying to learn. Thanks!
Yes. Many.

Early Islamic cultures accepted most everyone - sure, the Islamists were in charge (but isn't someone always in charge?) - but a small tax or similar was all it took for jews, christians, arabs, asians, etc. to trade together (the Crusades sorta did away with this).....

Many areas controlled by the Romans were made up of various cultures - again, they certainly had to pay some taxes back to Rome and the arms were controlled by the Romans. But I suppose when the Roman occupied the present UK, there were quite a few "cultures" represented. Remember, white supremacists do not consider southern italians as white

I think, tho, the best answer to your question is this. So-called "white european" culture has been at war with and against itself since the beginning of time. Surely you have read European history? The Danes, Swedes, Norweigans, etc. were are war against each other and against the British Isles, etc.

This has NEVER stopped - with the last big conflict being Yugoslavia (and WWII before that and many in between)...

The same has happened most everywhere else - the only exceptions might be when a real strongman was in charge and just jailed and killed anyone not approved by him.

So I think a more valid question would be "Are there any white european cultures who have been satisfied with their lot as one race?"....and the answer is certainly NO.

Since the "old world" was always hierarchical, what we call multiculturalism today existed....but they certainly didn't make their slaves and servants and physical workers and farmers King.

In other words - it's hard to compare anything when the entire setup of society has been different.

For the past 500 years the name of the game has been steel, guns and Monarchies.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:47 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
So, in other words, the more homogeneous a society the better.
Well racially, yes. U.S, Israel and New Zealand are really the only exception. Ethnically it is all over the place.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Did you leave out France on purpose or it isn't a developed country??
I only did countries with a HDI of .899 or higher. I stopped at .899 because I expect Israel to be .900 by the end of this year.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:50 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Now if said persons would just go ahead and admit it.
A few do, and wear their hatred proudly, as a badge of honor. As for the others - I'm not sure they can. Cognitive dissonance is never a fun thing to live with, so rather than admitting a position they know is wrong or changing a comfortable behavior, they create an excuse that allows them to protect the behavior without acknowledging the attitude that inspires it.

People find all sorts of ways to defend the indefensible.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:52 AM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
No argument that there can be challenges specific to a multicultural country. Folks are neurologically programmed to seek sameness. Assimilation can take time. Lingering resentments may fester. There may be pushback against the cultural boundaries that some groupings wish to maintain.

BUT the US started down the road centuries ago to becoming multicultural when whites brought the future African-Americans here as slaves with later actions continuing that trend.

It's too late for the white nationalists. That ship has sailed. Long ago.

Most folks know that America has been admired for some time as a place where its possible to work hard and in building your own economic success fuel that of the nation. Perhaps it's less well appreciated that America has also been viewed as the place where folks of all kinds were welcomed (in stark contrast to other cultures).

Even when American overseas policy was disparaged, there was still an admiration for America as an ideal and for Americans as individuals.

Now? Not so much so.

There's simply no going back to an all white society where it is admittedly easier to form comparable cultural bonds.

Simply way too late.

So why destroy or keep trying to tear down what is currently GOOD about America?

At some point in the not too recent future, whites WILL become a demographic minority. Here, white nationalism is both anachronistic and destructive to our future.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:58 AM

Another thing about my statistics. It shows the most successful societies are between 80%-95% one race. But If culture matters to how successful you are then no. Switzerland while not racially diverse has four cultures that make up the country. Iceland and America culturally are homogeneous, all though American culture is very broad.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:03 AM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Quote:
So, in other words, the more homogeneous a society the better.
A homogenous society is EASIER but certainly not BETTER.

Look the world has changed. In centuries past the oceans and difficulties of transportation plus slow communication channels kept people ensconced in their homogeneous groupings.

Sure, there were invasions of various kinds where often subordinate populations were forced into assimilation (very often by the massacre of the men and rape of the women) or left alone to prosper in various enclaves (Romans, Mongols etc.).

No argument that there are currently tremendous challenges resulting from all sorts of technological "advances" such as the internet where increased awareness of the world spurs migrations.

And I'm certainly not advocating open borders.

But as in many things in life, the best balance is often the middle ground or way - as unsatisfactory as that may seem to those who long for the unobtainable past.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:09 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
A homogenous society is EASIER but certainly not BETTER.
Is there even one successful homogenous society on earth?

The only ones I can come up with are Japan and South Korea, but both are in decline and are demographic time-bombs.

Basically the richest, most successful nations are the most diverse, and their relative success is strongly tied to their relative diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies