Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:31 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,512,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and before you claim that we in arizona hate minorities, why not come down here and wander around and find out that a huge portion of this states population is in fact mexican, and another large portion is american indian. adn we have a fair black population as well.
Oh wow, that's amazing, and here I thought only old white retirees live in Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and by the way we DO have a LEGAL MLK holiday now. next time do some real research, or ask a native arizonan, about things like this. we have had to deal with these contentious issues, just so people like you can sit back and obfuscate the past to your ideas of what you think we hate or dont hate.
Um, yea, I know you have a MLK holiday, just like every other state. I remember John McCain voted against it back in the 80's. But it's nice you could join the rest of the country anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 07:32 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,705,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I'm still trying to figure out just how this memorial could be such a historical monuments.. Arizona didn't even join the Union until 1912? Of course it's likely it got constructed during the Jim Crow era.. which was during the rise of KKK and persecution of Blacks... Why don't modern people realize all these statures and memorials were built to basically celebrate those that HATED the fact that Slaves got freed! Their hatred of Blacks was constant for over half century!! It's about time a lot of these Jim Crow relics get removed and put in a museum that allowed future generations to see and understand the evolution of their country's history!

There's zero necessity to have eyesores forced into the faces of those who's family endured such indignities during those times. Not that it's finished as it's clear.. there is STILL an underbelly of Black Hatred still surviving and raised to HATE as their mentors raised them to be!! Trump is doing nothing but enflame these people!!
The statue was put up around the same time that the highway was built.

Why are people offended by a statue? Any statue? It's a piece of metal or stone that reminds us of a seriously dark time in history. Most of the confederate statues have been around for more than 60 years. Suddenly a statue is offensive enough that it needs to be taken down? It isn't offensive in it's own right, it's only offensive because people have been told to be offended. So, who decided the statues were the next target for revisionism, and what is their motive? What is the end game of the powers that want to see the statues gone?

My theory? It's a whole lot easier to make the narrative that Democrats are the "party of tolerance" if these reminders of their intolerance can be removed from public view.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:37 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,459,683 times
The tarred and feathered one was erected in 1943 by the Daughters of the Confederacy and is used as a focal point in Confederacy celebrations:

2017 Confederate Memorial Day Celebration

Old 08-17-2017, 07:45 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The tarred and feathered one was erected in 1943 by the Daughters of the Confederacy and is used as a focal point in Confederacy celebrations:

2017 Confederate Memorial Day Celebration
And I'm sure back then there wasn't a rash of idiots tearing/vandalizing historical statues all over the country.

Last edited by SandraMoore66; 08-17-2017 at 08:26 PM..

Old 08-17-2017, 07:51 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,565,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Why is there a Jefferson Davis monument and Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway in Arizona?

1) Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway monument tarred and feathered - Story | KSAZ

Streetview
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3357...7i13312!8i6656

2) 2 Confederate monuments vandalized in Arizona
The Confederate soldier monument at the state Capitol was fancied by Rebecca McHood as a "participation trophy" on Tuesday evening. Enraged by President Donald Trump's claim that "bad people" on both sides were to blame for the violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, the 37-year-old headed straight for the Confederate memorial at the state Capitol.

Across the bottom, she strung a second-place participation banner. Across the top, she hung a ribbon that said, "You lost, get over it."
Yeah, there was a plaque of Jefferson Davis removed from San Diego yesterday. It's bizarre.

San Diego removes plaque honoring Confederate leader Jefferson Davis | fox5sandiego.com

Old 08-17-2017, 08:02 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Oh wow, that's amazing, and here I thought only old white retirees live in Arizona.

Um, yea, I know you have a MLK holiday, just like every other state. I remember John McCain voted against it back in the 80's. But it's nice you could join the rest of the country anyway.
Arizona is the only state in the country that created a MLK holiday by a vote of the people. I am willing to bet that many states would not be able to get that to pass even today. Anyway, they said there are six confederate monuments in AZ. A couple are in cemeteries to Confed soldiers, one on the state capital lawn (2d place). The tarred and feathered one is on private property. Another commemorates the battle of Picacho Peak.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:29 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Good lord! I would love to ask those offended by statues if they were bothered by them a year ago.

I'm beginning to think these "offended" group of people will always find something that offends them. Destroying things is what makes them happy.
It's not about the statues or the subjects depicted in the statues any more. Instead, the statues have morphed into a symbol of racism depicted by angry chanting KKK/neo-Nazis. This was magnified this past weekend with the torch carrying and chanting of things like "blood and soil". That's the vision that some people have frozen in their minds when they see confederate statues. Trump has fanned the flames.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:32 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,705,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's not about the statues or the subjects depicted in the statues any more. Instead, the statues have morphed into a symbol of racism depicted by angry chanting KKK/neo-Nazis. This was magnified this past weekend with the torch carrying and chanting of things like "blood and soil". That's the vision that some people have frozen in their minds when they see confederate statues. Trump has fanned the flames.
Wrong President. You meant to say Obama.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Just more insane people with wayyy too much time on their hands. Sadly the morons who committed the vandalism were probably between Arpio and the "don't deport convict illegals" protest events.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:14 PM

33,563 posts, read 18,147,060 times
Next the Vietnam Memorial WALL, of those that died will have to be taken down because they fought in a war. They joined to kill and it is unacceptable to kill people for any cause. Only peacemakers are honored and those who went to Canada or went AWOL are to be honored. The radical left are peacemakers . They cannot honor murderers.

But the radical left can beat the hell out of fellow Americans who don't believe in loving everyone as they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies