Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 10:17 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
WILLOUGHBY, Ohio--

On Thursday, Willoughby-Eastlake City Schools confirmed the Willoughby South Rebel is gone. The mascot depicted a man dressed in a uniform with an "X" on his hat.

Many believed that to be representative of a Confederate soldier from Civil War time dressed in "rebel gray."

In the past, the Confederate flag was also part of the high school imagery, but the district removed all flag references in the early 90s.
Willoughby South High School drops controversial ‘Rebel’ mascot | fox8.com

Another part of society impacted by the controversy. Things are moving faster than I thought they would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 10:18 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
That's where I went to high school. I don't have a problem with how they are handling it.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:48 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
The superintendent's statement:

Quote:
When the decision was made to initially identify the South High Rebels using the Civil War Rebel Icon as their mascot, it was done so as a symbol of the history of this country. Since that time, the Rebel Mascot has taken on a negative connotation and as a district, we do not feel it is in the best interest of the community and our students to perpetuate this statement.
They chose the mascot in 1959 in Cleveland. It wasn't controversial then?

Old 08-18-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The superintendent's statement:

They chose the mascot in 1959 in Cleveland. It wasn't controversial then?
Nope. As I said I went to school there. We didn't even give the Civil War aspect a passing thought.

It meant nothing.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:12 AM

75 posts, read 36,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Willoughby South High School drops controversial ‘Rebel’ mascot | fox8.com

Another part of society impacted by the controversy. Things are moving faster than I thought they would.
Their school, their call. Why can't they do this?

Old 08-18-2017, 05:13 AM

I see where the alumni have a petition with thousands of signatures already to keep the mascot.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:24 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilenceIsNotAnOption View Post
Their school, their call. Why can't they do this?
Its a public school. Who is "they", the administration or the taxpayers?

Old 08-18-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The administration made the call.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:31 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The whiny left. This is getting ridiculous.

A black town, for themselves and agreed among themselves, removing confederate monuments is not only okay. I understand.

Now its a witch hunt for anything confederate pushed for by non-local leftist POS.

They are now pushing the buttons of a large portion of the country with all of this nonsense. One of them is going to get unhinged and do something very bad.

My one civil war vet ancestor was 17 y/o in one of the emergency UNION regiments at the time of Gettysburg so dont bother with that angle.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
The whiny left. This is getting ridiculous.

A black town, for themselves and agreed among themselves, removing confederate monuments is not only okay. I understand.

Now its a witch hunt for anything confederate pushed for by non-local leftist POS.

They are now pushing the buttons of a large portion of the country with all of this nonsense. One of them is going to get unhinged and do something very bad.

My one civil war vet ancestor was 17 y/o in one of the emergency UNION regiments at the time of Gettysburg so dont bother with that angle.
As I noted, I went to the school in question. There are blacks that go there. I do not think it's asking too much for them to not be represented by a caricature of someone that fought to keep blacks as slaves.

They will still be The Willoughby South High Rebels. They were simply going to end the caricature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies