Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 08:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

I don't think statues in tribute to war generals were ever intended to be reminders of the horrors of slavery. That's a huge stretch, in my mind.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Of course they should. Egypt isn't going around removing all monuments of Ramses, even though he was probably far worse than any of these confederate soldiers. It's history. Use it as a teachable moment.
You can learn on your State-approved Ipad funded by the taxpayers while at an indoctrination center (public school).

They'll pipe in all you need to know, and only what you need to know (wink wink), for your learning enjoyment.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't think statues in tribute to war generals were ever intended to be reminders of the horrors of slavery. That's a huge stretch, in my mind.
It's safe to say we worship war and its leaders. Even liberals love a good John Wayne marathon on TV over Memorial Day weekend.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's safe to say we worship war and its leaders. Even liberals love a good John Wayne marathon on TV over Memorial Day weekend.

Yes, that's true. And that's why those statues were put up - as monuments to soldiers and Generals - not as reminders of the horrors of slavery. That's a convenient excuse being used in defense of keeping them around.

I'm not pro 'tear them all down because all of a sudden they're offensive' but if I was black and heard someone using that as justification, I'd be rolling my eyes.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:17 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yes, that's true. And that's why those statues were put up - as monuments to soldiers and Generals - not as reminders of the horrors of slavery. That's a convenient excuse being used in defense of keeping them around.

I'm not pro 'tear them all down because all of a sudden they're offensive' but if I was black and heard someone using that as justification, I'd be rolling my eyes.
Many of the statues were put up during the civil rights movement. Many, many years after the conclusion of the Civil War. We all know what type of people support confederate symbols...

Old 08-19-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Many of the statues were put up during the civil rights movement. Many, many years after the conclusion of the Civil War. We all know what type of people support confederate symbols...
I had no idea that many of them were put up at that time. Drawing a line in the sand ala George Wallace, perhaps?

As for the bolded text - I couldn't agree more, and no amount of pontificating about southern heritage and pride will ever change my mind.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
But the CRM also coincides with the 100th anniversary of the war so the other side can fall back on that.

Convenient excuse? Perhaps.

But folks love anniversaries too.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:23 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
They are rare but do exist. Places like Darlington, South Carolina and Canton, Mississippi have statues/monuments dedicated to Black men and boys who aided the Confederacy in the war.

The inscription on Willis Howcott's memorial by his master William Hill Howcott reads...

“A tribute to my faithful servant and friend, Willis Howcott, a colored boy of rare loyalty and faithfulness, whose memory I cherish with deep gratitude”.

Howcott Monument | Visit Mississippi

https://mscivilrightsproject.org/mad...cott-monument/

Should they stay or go?
Why are you so obsessed with these kinds of suggestions?

It's up to the owners of the statues and no one else.

This thread makes about as much sense to me as one entitled "The mailbox at the home of no_recess: stay or go?".

Old 08-20-2017, 12:21 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Correct. There are claims that black troops fought for the Confederacy, but there's no evidence for that assertion. Blacks could only be valets at best in the CSA.

I'm not saying that statues should come down, but the CSA honoring their black slaves is awfully clumsy. It's ridiculous.

The idea to arm slaves didn't even take off until General Pat Cleburne proposed it when he realized that the South was doomed otherwise. He was more enlightened than his cohorts because he'd be born and raised in Ireland, and knew that the worst trained black soldiers would fight better than many white troops would because blacks had skin in the game. Cleburne's proposal recommended that these slaves would ALL have to be freed at war's end...assuming the South had won their cause.

The proposal so shocked the CSA's top brass and political leaders, that they tabled it and NEVER gave Cleburne his well deserved third star. The thought of armed blacks was unimaginable.

So these "monuments" to black confederates are really a joke.
Yeah, the slave states had serious issues with armed black people, at least until they were cornered like rats and saw no other way out.

I rather like the story of the 1st Louisiana Native Guard, a militia formed by free blacks, which was a bit of a sticky wicket and caused much awkwardness until Louisiana simply banned non-whites from serving. Reportedly, quite a few of the volunteers resented the snub. So when the Union showed up, the same blacks decided to show the Confederacy that they could indeed fight as soldiers, albeit on the other side.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Why are you so obsessed with these kinds of suggestions?

It's up to the owners of the statues and no one else.

This thread makes about as much sense to me as one entitled "The mailbox at the home of no_recess: stay or go?".
I admit I got a little carried away this week with all the statue stuff.

The Left was providing so much good material to mock though.

I had no choice. That's my defense.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies