Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 03:18 PM

590 posts, read 553,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
In 1910 the residents of Concord, Massachusetts placed a plaque at the graves of 3 unknown British soldiers who died at the Old North Bridge in the Battle of Concord in the Revolutionary War. The grave is at a rock wall near the bridge at its eastern end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_North_Bridge

Picture of the memorial...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_No..._July_2014.jpg

Well, we got another one here. British soldiers honored on American soil? Will those opposed to the Confederate statues demand the removal of this memorial? I think consistency calls for them to do so.

Yes or no?
The memorials honoring soldiers should stay. We should all remember that those who died in battles were only doing what leaders told them to do, it's the same with Confederate soldiers, I can't speak for those soldiers but most, if not all of them, were ordinary people just like us the only difference is they were caught in conflicts that didn't have to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 04:52 PM

46,878 posts, read 25,839,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Dweller View Post
The memorials honoring soldiers should stay. We should all remember that those who died in battles were only doing what leaders told them to do, it's the same with Confederate soldiers, I can't speak for those soldiers but most, if not all of them, were ordinary people just like us the only difference is they were caught in conflicts that didn't have to happen.
Indeed. 600,000 guys died who didn't have to, because some old schmucks decided their investment in human beings couldn't be allowed to lose value. They were also victims. Their leaders weren't.

It is in fact possiblt to mourn the loss of the former without heaping honor on the latter.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,309,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
In 1910 the residents of Concord, Massachusetts placed a plaque at the graves of 3 unknown British soldiers who died at the Old North Bridge in the Battle of Concord in the Revolutionary War. The grave is at a rock wall near the bridge at its eastern end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_North_Bridge

Picture of the memorial...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_No..._July_2014.jpg

Well, we got another one here. British soldiers honored on American soil? Will those opposed to the Confederate statues demand the removal of this memorial? I think consistency calls for them to do so.

Yes or no?
I think you need to read the entire poem and reflect on the tragedy and futility of their deaths that Lowell conveyed in those lines and then more deeply consider whether or not you're asking the right question.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:22 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,622,938 times
MA. is a reasonable place. We have a great Republican Governor. I doubt you are gonna see much unrest here and we don't deal in hate as a basis for our commonwealth. We may be human like everyone else, but we all have in mind the improvement of the commonwealth...and that is a liberal and progressive ideal.

I am highly in favor of historical markers and plaques. The Brits were not traitors - as noted above - the Americans were. Heck, Ben Franklin would have been a Brit had not the King turned him and his friends down for a grant of 2.4 MILLION acres in Ohio. This left Ben and his kin (son, mostly) looking for a way to make a living...and revolution provided it. His son stayed a Brit....was Gov. of New Jersey but went out with the tide.

England is still our mother - so to speak. Our laws and culture were based upon that of the Brits (and French - after the revolution).

Old 08-18-2017, 05:29 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,294,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I think you need to read the entire poem and reflect on the tragedy and futility of their deaths that Lowell conveyed in those lines and then more deeply consider whether or not you're asking the right question.
What is the "right" question?

Old 08-18-2017, 05:30 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,204,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
MA. is a reasonable place. We have a great Republican Governor. I doubt you are gonna see much unrest here and we don't deal in hate as a basis for our commonwealth. We may be human like everyone else, but we all have in mind the improvement of the commonwealth...and that is a liberal and progressive ideal.

I am highly in favor of historical markers and plaques. The Brits were not traitors - as noted above - the Americans were. Heck, Ben Franklin would have been a Brit had not the King turned him and his friends down for a grant of 2.4 MILLION acres in Ohio. This left Ben and his kin (son, mostly) looking for a way to make a living...and revolution provided it. His son stayed a Brit....was Gov. of New Jersey but went out with the tide.

England is still our mother - so to speak. Our laws and culture were based upon that of the Brits (and French - after the revolution).
I sincerely doubt that anyone in Massachusetts or all of New England, for that matter, is offended by the Union Jack. In fact there are pubs all over the country with those flags. It signifies fish and chips, bangers and mash and a great beer selection.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:43 AM

27,023 posts, read 13,271,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Britain was a colonial power that exploited natives, many of them had brown skin. Therefore any memory of them must be eradicated. If you don't agree, you are a RACIST!!!
Due to the efforts of people such as William Wilberforce. Slavery was banned in Britain long before the American Civil War OF 1861-65.

The actual slave trade was banned under the Slave Trade Act 1807, whilst slavery itself was abolished in the Slavery Abolition Act 1833 and subsequent legislation in 1843.

Slave Trade Act 1807 - Wikipedia

Slavery Abolition Act 1833 - Wikipedia

Indian Slavery Act of 1843 - Wikipedia

Slavery abolished in America - Dec 18, 1865 - HISTORY.com

John Newton was born in Wapping London, in 1725 ( 24 July 1725 – 21 December 1807) and was an English sailor, in the Royal Navy later a becoming a captain of slave ships. After being saved from death in s storm, he vowed to devote his life to God and turned his back on the slave trade, he later became ordained as an evangelical Anglican cleric and served Olney, Buckinghamshire in England for two decades and later a parish in London. Newton wrote a number of hymns, his best known being "Amazing Grace" and "Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken".

John Newton - Wikipedia

William Wilberforce - Wikipedia

Old 08-19-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I sincerely doubt that anyone in Massachusetts or all of New England, for that matter, is offended by the Union Jack. In fact there are pubs all over the country with those flags. It signifies fish and chips, bangers and mash and a great beer selection.
As long as no Yorkshire or blood pudding is served with that I am OK....

Yeah, we even have a local band (Beatles Cover) called Union Jack. None called Nazi Stormers tho....

Old 08-19-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
What next? Currency?

What about all the politicians who voted against equal rights for blacks and women? Destroy everything attached to them, as well?
The ones who vote that way these days SHOULD be removed from office. But they aren't.

So let's start with the problems right in front of our face. If you agree to vote out the pols that you formerly supported who are racist, sexist, white supremisists and/or just plain incapable...that would be a good start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies