Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 02:42 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
There are many conservatives on CD who interested in the events around us simply want to exchange views. From them, I actually sometimes find myself learning and altering my views (a little!). And, in fact, one of the posters above whose comments I just disagreed with immediately sent me a nice PM a few minutes ago.

From years of working with various industries throughout the United States, I have a lot of understanding and empathy for workers displaced by economic shifts who may well - in hope - have voted for Trump.

But increasingly I'm placing Trump in the category of those who simply think and shout in slogans, with little interest or ability to actually analyze anything. For it is only after consideration and reflection, that the most optimal actions are taken. (Now they may not have - in the end - been the "best" solution for that tends to be determined by history.)

Charlottesville intrigues me not so much as a chance to bash the right but more as an example of Trump's complete inability to act only after sober reflection.
Another great post, especially that last sentence.

I'm in the middle myself, but I find myself left-leaning more and more and Charlottesville has really been an unfortunate, eye-opening experience.

Posters I once respected lost all of it after I read how much they defended what that terrorist did Saturday.

And then others confirmed what I already figured was true about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
She was not a parent.

She lived and worked in C'ville.

She was employed at a local law firm, M-F.

She was killed on Saturday.

Richard Spencer held a rally in C'ville in May.

The KKK came in July.

Then the " unite the right" rally was intended to bring various alt right groups from all over the country to C'ville, last weekend.
Very telling and sad when you have to go to these depths to explain what should be a pretty straight forward situation.

There's no defending this people and James Fields. None. The only people that do are people who think and act just like they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 02:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't believe she had children. She was a paralegal in Charlottesville, and shortly before she died, she expressed to coworkers that she was afraid of getting shot but that she still wanted to be there. She was apparently killed after leaving work around lunch time to join the crowd who had gathered on Water St to celebrate after learning that the Unite movement's permit to protest in Emancipation Park had been revoked and that they were dispersing.
She was single and childless.

She worked in a local law office, M-F.

She was killed on Saturday, around 1:45 PM local time.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:49 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
All Trump had to do was to get down to Charlottesville on Sunday or Monday, and all of this would be finished. I don't think he doesn't care as much as he's incapable of caring.
He may have bigger fish to fry. Who knows?

Old 08-18-2017, 02:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Heather's mother is dealing with incredible grief.

Why in the world would she give Trump so much as a second of her time so that he can make a big show of it.

If it had been my daughter, the Secret Service would never allow me that close to him.
I cannot imagine taking a call from POTUS, any POTUS or any politician under similar circumstances.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:53 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Trump loudly and specifically said there were good people on both sides of the issue at the rally.
And the Media called him out as a Nazi lover.
She sounds like she might have been one of the good people Trump was talking about.
There were no 'nice people' at that rally, even if a few people had thought it was just about some statues it would only have taken a few minutes of hearing the chants, or seeing the flags or reading the banners before they would have realized it was about much more and they would have left. Nice people don't pal around with Nazi's and KKK losers.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:

"Heyer was nervous about counterprotesting on Saturday, but felt she needed to be there to stand up what she believed in, her co-worker and friend Victoria Jackson told CNN a day before the service. One of the last conversations they had before each left for the weekend was about the rally. "Heather said, 'I want to go so badly but I don't want to get shot. I don't want to die,' " Jackson remembered. Heyer was afraid of the protesters because she believed they were not here for peace, her co-worker said."

I think you probably could have found that if you had wanted to.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:02 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:

Thank you for the correction. I misunderstood her schedule. She was not leaving work but had talked to coworkers about her fear of being in harm's way prior to the weekend. Upon further reading, I came upon the information that she was accompanied downtown by three friends, who all survived. Two were unharmed. The third suffered serious injuries.

Last edited by randomparent; 08-18-2017 at 03:11 PM..

Old 08-18-2017, 03:10 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Heather's Mother Susan Bro is refusing to speak with Trump even though he is trying to contact her. Her position is she will not forgive him for morally equating what her daughter did, peaceful protest, with what the white supremacist and KKK did, namely spewing racial hate and engaging in deadly violence.

I agree with Ms. Bro's position, as do the majority of Americans, and may her beautiful daughter, who stood up for her beliefs and values, RIP.

If this happened to my child, I would not meet with that fat pig either. All he would be doing is using her as a PR stunt to make it look as if he really cared about her daughter.

Good for her, and I am so sorry for her loss. Absolutely senseless death.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Kind of turns my stomach.
The whole forum has taken sort of sick turn the last few days.
me too

Old 08-18-2017, 03:29 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,149,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
me too
In the words of Maya Angelou, a very wise woman, - "people show you who they are believe them".

Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies