Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 09:55 PM

384 posts, read 381,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
We need a Government Agency to approve "free" speech.
We can't just have people goin' 'round sayin' whatever comes to mind.
People who speak inappropriately could be sent to reeducation camps.

What the heck is wrong with some people?!?
The First Amendment was designed to protect unpopular speech.

Remember this famous quote?
"I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It."
So just to clarify, it would be ok if say some muslims got together and started chanting kill the infidels? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but is there any legal precedent that would forbid something like that?

Old 08-18-2017, 10:05 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,596,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuja1 View Post
So just to clarify, it would be ok if say some muslims got together and started chanting kill the infidels? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but is there any legal precedent that would forbid something like that?
No, that is inciting violence. Here is a test. Which statement is protected under free speech?

1. Kill the infidels!
2. Jews will not replace us
3. Kill all white people
4. Kill all cops

I await your answer

Old 08-18-2017, 10:06 PM

11,120 posts, read 10,668,910 times
Quote:
To say it, they are protected. To try to make it happen is illegal though. It's pretty simple.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:08 PM

384 posts, read 381,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
No, that is inciting violence. Here is a test. Which statement is protected under free speech?

1. Kill the infidels!
3. Kill all white people
4. Kill all cops

I await your answer
Number 2

Old 08-18-2017, 11:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
Quote:
I can't see any redeeming qualities in these groups, and if they support murdering other groups of people they dislike, it seems like a proper reason to ban their right to speak publicly about this. People do not have the right to incite violence and murder in this country, so it would seem that this would apply to the KKK and neo Nazis. Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If they are not doing anything illegal or directly inciting violence or threatening others, they have a right to free speech.

But we as rest of mainstream society have the right and moral to overwhelmingly condemn them - VOCALLY.
ambient is right on this. as much as we might want to shut down these neo-nazi/KKK/WAR/other white supremacist groups, their free speech rights are protected under the first amendment. thus we have to allow them to make their speeches, post their literature, etc.

however we do not have to listen to what they say, nor read what they write. we can also oppose them in a legal manner, and educate those that might fall under the spell of these types of idiots. if we can minimize these people, both hard left and hard right, they will go away. at least for awhile.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
ambient is right on this. as much as we might want to shut down these neo-nazi/KKK/WAR/other white supremacist groups, their free speech rights are protected under the first amendment. thus we have to allow them to make their speeches, post their literature, etc.

however we do not have to listen to what they say, nor read what they write. we can also oppose them in a legal manner, and educate those that might fall under the spell of these types of idiots. if we can minimize these people, both hard left and hard right, they will go away. at least for awhile.
I still contend that we should start trolling them. Changing the street names where they live to be more "diverse", putting up statues of Civil Rights leaders, etc. There is the potential for massive amounts of amusement here if we can do it right.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:44 PM

122 posts, read 64,867 times
Quote:
I can't see any redeeming qualities in these groups, and if they support murdering other groups of people they dislike, it seems like a proper reason to ban their right to speak publicly about this. People do not have the right to incite violence and murder in this country, so it would seem that this would apply to the KKK and neo Nazis. Thoughts?
Im for it if we can ban BLM and radical islamist too. And nude pride parades yuck.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:46 PM

122 posts, read 64,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

You realize these nazis are practically non existant dont you. The people that are pissed off are mostly poor whites that see their heritage being erased on top of being blamed for all of societys problems. Poor whites are a bear constantly being poked and we saw part of that backlash last nov.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpie View Post
Except poor uneducated whites are easily manipulated by these "nazi" sentiments. That can be a very powerful force if left unchecked. They are not a "bear being poked", they are people who have been left behind by their own CHOICES and refusing to own their responsibility in that. It is much easier to blame government or society or liberals than to acknowledge you basically have ruined your own life and possibly that of your own families.
Uneducated people are easily manipulated, no matter what their skin color.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:00 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post

1. Kill the infidels!
3. Kill all white people
4. Kill all cops

I await your answer
They can all be protected speech depending on how they are used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.