Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2017, 11:45 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
You could look into who was on the roster.

Boston's free speech organizer, John Medlar, who is a 23 year old film student at Fitchberg state, originally had Augustus Invictus as a headliner/key speaker for today's event (he is a holocaust denier) and Gavin McInnes, an English lit major from some place far and long ago, who believes women should be subjugated. He is the leader of some western chauvinist organization and purports the intellectual inferiority of women.

You on board with these guys?
On board? My opinion of any speaker's rhetoric is irrelevant. If you read my posts you would see my personal opinion. I'm definitely on board for their right to speak.

Are you on board with use of intimidation and violence to truncate free speech?

Do you value free speech or only speech you agree with?

If you are a true liberal, you would support the most vile of free speech. Liberalism says every individual has the absolute right to think and express any ideas.

Thought and speech are never equivalent to force or violence and ought never to be restricted or to be subject to coercive penalties. Censorship on the basis of political ideas are not acceptable under any circumstances to real liberals.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-19-2017 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 11:45 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
15k people with nothing better to do come out to "protest" five free speech advocates. This is why America needs to be made great again.
The thousands of counter-protesters that came out today to say NO! to white supremacists are exactly the people who make American great.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:48 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The thousands of counter-protesters that came out today to say NO! to white supremacists are exactly the people who make American great.
I agree with their feelings about the Klan.

I disagree on the tactic to best diminish the Klan's message as well as the Klan itself.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:55 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Your prior posts reveal your true feelings. You blanketly refer to these people as racists and hate groups. Some may be, but some are not. The event is about free speech and should be supported by all. Liberals should have asked for an opportunity to speak and join in this celebration of the first amendment. Instead, people like you choose to continue with the politics of identity and division popularized by Obama.
It was thought that these free speech people were going to be similar to the people in Charlottesville but no one knew for sure. KKK members had said they were coming. KKK=hate group.

Why on earth should the liberals be required to ask for an opportunity to speak?
The liberals only wanted to demonstrate by their presence that they did not agree with the KKK or white supremacists. They should not be forced to speak. Free speech does not literally mean actual speaking--it can mean writing something or showing up. Those are many ways of expressing free speech.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:55 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
An estimated 20 of Trump's "fine" people showed up for the white supremacist rally while 20 THOUSAND turned out in opposition.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:58 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Just saw a counter protestor get body slammed by a police officer on the street, seems like a good time, plus a white woman carrying a sign that reads " White People Suck", lol. Idiots.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:00 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
An estimated 20 of Trump's "fine" people showed up for the white supremacist rally while 20 THOUSAND turned out in opposition.
Seems like a lot of resources in response to what a whopping 20 people think. Maybe those resources can be better spent in other areas?

Old 08-19-2017, 12:04 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Just saw a counter protestor get body slammed by a police officer on the street, seems like a good time.
As I think I already said, there will always be an idiot or two showing up. I remember the same in the 1960s protests--we were peaceful but some violent idiot, possibly mentally ill, would show up wanting attention.

It's like a snapshot of the human race--always a few mentally ill or on the extreme. It's to be expected.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:05 PM

1,640 posts, read 794,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
On board? My opinion of any speaker's rhetoric is irrelevant. If you read my posts you would see my personal opinion. I'm definitely on board for their right to speak.
Given that we know who the speakers were supposed to be I'm not sure what your comment was about with giving them a chance. We already know what they're about. If you're willing to give that a chance, well, that line in the sand is there.

Quote:
Are you on board with use of intimidation and violence to truncate free speech?

Do you value free speech or only speech you agree with?
Yes and it depends.

Quote:
If you are a true liberal, you would support the most vile of free speech. Liberalism says every individual has the absolute right to think and express any ideas.

Thought and speech are never equivalent to force or violence and ought never to be restricted or to be subject to coercive penalties. Censorship on the basis of political ideas are not acceptable under any circumstances to real liberals.
I'm not truly anything. I'm not a liberal. I do not support the most vile free speech. I do not support anything and everything under any and all conditions. It always depends for me.

I mean, if NAMBLA decided to have a parade today I'd probably follow a few of them home. I wouldn't do so with a WN.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:06 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Inciting violence is not free speech...it's hate speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies