U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:09 PM

14,540 posts, read 8,361,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Free speech > whiny liberals/communists.

MAGA
Yeah, about that MAGA thing. It's about time Trump got on that, don't you think? Talk is cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:11 PM

19,578 posts, read 18,659,966 times
They're not even allowing anyone who has a gun, a shield, a stick, any kind of a weapon. There will be zero tolerance for any violence and the whole thing will be shut down if there is any sign of it. They have 500 police there and hundreds more available. Streets are closed off and attractions are shut down. Local people have been warned to stay away. Barriers will be erected between the organizers and the protesters who are expected to show up.

I don't think anyone really knows who is coming although some KKK from another part of the state has said they'll be showing up. The organizers have made it sound sort of good but people don't really trust what they say. The city has to allow it (whatever it turns out to be):

“The courts have made it abundantly clear. They have the right to gather, no matter how repugnant their views are. But they don’t have the right to create unsafe conditions. They have the right to free speech. In return, they have to respect our city.”

Old 08-18-2017, 07:12 PM

21,204 posts, read 14,226,564 times
Quote:

MAGA
MAGA is going to be surrounded and outnumbered in Boston. They will be the ones doing the whining pretty soon.

I fully expect the rally to be so contained, isolated, and unable to move that all they will see are empty streets after what happened in Charlottesville.

But I'm sure they will hear the roar of the angry crowds who are surrounding them, just out of sight and held at bay by the Boston police department.

Remember that Boston suffered a terrorist attack.

The folks there are not going to trifle with a bunch of wanna-be domestic terrorists. The white power boys have bitten off more than they can chew this time, so you had better hope the cops do their job very well.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:13 PM

19,578 posts, read 18,659,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I keep thinking it is a set up ... I think the left may have their hand in all this.. I will see if I am right when I see the outcome of it.
Based upon past experience it is not "the left" who applies for these Free Speech permits. Add to that some KKK members are coming and we don't even know who else might show up. There will be protesters and these will be from the left.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:14 PM

10,933 posts, read 5,026,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
They're not even allowing anyone who has a gun, a shield, a stick, any kind of a weapon. There will be zero tolerance for any violence and the whole thing will be shut down if there is any sign of it. They have 500 police there and hundreds more available. Streets are closed off and attractions are shut down. Local people have been warned to stay away. Barriers will be erected between the organizers and the protesters who are expected to show up.

I don't think anyone really knows who is coming although some KKK from another part of the state has said they'll be showing up. The organizers have made it sound sort of good but people don't really trust what they say. The city has to allow it (whatever it turns out to be):

ďThe courts have made it abundantly clear. They have the right to gather, no matter how repugnant their views are. But they donít have the right to create unsafe conditions. They have the right to free speech. In return, they have to respect our city.Ē
Yes, you can bet Antifa will show up and begin attacking people so the protest gets shut down. The msm will blame those on the right for the violence.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:18 PM

32,646 posts, read 13,769,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Is Berkeley actually trying to bring back free speech?

UC Berkeley chancellor unveils 'Free Speech Year' as right-wing speakers plan campus events - LA Times

The chancellor there is saying some of the right things about it at least:
The violent actions by Antifa at Berkeley were deplorable and suppression of free speech, if they take action again I hope they end up in jail for a long time. There have been several demonstrations at universities that were similar, it's wrong when it escalated to violence.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:22 PM

32,646 posts, read 13,769,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Your 20K to 30K estimate is by BLM.

Doesn't say if that's combined, both sides, or just the counter-protest.

Doesn't say if he believes that's combined or just his side.

Wish I could find firmer numbers.

If that's 20/30 to 1 in favor of one side that's quite an imbalance.

City prepping as thousands expected at protests on Boston Common
Those numbers will always be a guess, but I would think that the estimate is high based on the police response.

Why would they choose Boston if the are worried about being outnumbered, why not Nashville or Dallas.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:29 PM

24,603 posts, read 9,528,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Those numbers will always be a guess, but I would think that the estimate is high based on the police response.

Why would they choose Boston if the are worried about being outnumbered, why not Nashville or Dallas.
I don't know the logistics behind putting together a march, never mind one of this ilk.

If one of the organizers thinks 1,000 folks are coming on his side...that's pretty amazing.

Boston is a huge city then you throw in the rest of the I-95 megalopolis. Logan is a major airport, obviously.

If you're mustering 1,000 that just really shows how overblown this whole Nazi/KKK taking over the world narrative is.

I never got firm numbers from Charlottesville either. Police estimated 2K to 6K the night before.

Such a small crowd if that estimate was remotely close.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:02 PM

11,966 posts, read 16,686,168 times
Quote:

MAGA
And this whiny liberal/communist (lol, oh honey...) will be exercising her 1st Amendment rights by counterprotesting with a sign thanking the alt-right for their participation in this worthwhile fundraiser: https://pledgeit.org/nobostonhate

Mazel tov! Every "Free Speech" marcher helps raise more money for the New England Holocaust Memorial (which has had its glass panels shattered twice, including last weekend, after decades of no issues), BLM, CAIR, Centro Presente, Life After Hate, the Southern Poverty Law Center, and other worthwhile local and national causes.

Will I be thanking you as well?

Old 08-18-2017, 08:05 PM

11,966 posts, read 16,686,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Because they're coming from Maine, NH, central Mass, and RI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies