U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:17 PM

23,290 posts, read 11,531,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The left is choosing to go after the confederate statues mainly in the south. They are depicting that these statues are creating a problem and must be removed.. it is our history and our country is a mix and always has been..
For the most part, the South is where the bulk of the Statues are located. CNN showed a map of the ones already taken down, and I can assure you, it is nation wide. So if that was your problem, it is now solved.

Quote:
The left is now wanting to bring up wounds of the past to divide us again .. and again.. it will backfire.. all this hate and division.

Left is trying again to gain power though division.. the norht and the south lost many soldiers, how can a country come together if people say the confederates were traitors.. there were Americans. We are all Americans whether you like it or not.

Those who had family who had slaves could be the black guy you know at work.. his family could have owned a slave or his ancestors fought on the side of the confederacy.. we are all blended now. It was 150 years ago.. those people are long gone no longer with us.

If someone chooses to be a racist, a terrorist or a hater it is their choice.
1. By definition, you would have to be an American to be a traitor to America, LOL

2. Rebelling against the US government makes you a traitor, that is in the Constitution. It is one of the few crimes specifically mentioned in the Constitution no less.

3. Im a black Southern guy, and im telling you I dont like these statues.

My argument isnt that you have to agree with me, but rather that you need to stop pretending like this is a made up story.

People have long wanted these statues down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:20 PM

33,254 posts, read 20,081,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Personally, I find the Confederate monuments quite "quaint" and would have no problem seeing them left in place just like I'd love to see the monument of Saddam Hussein still standing that was torn down right after the 2nd Gulf War. Assuming that is I ever ended up in Iraq as a tourist, which is a highly dubious proposition. But then I'm neither Black nor a Shiite. I suppose I'm a Northerner but then none of my relatives were killed in the Civil War.

But it's not my choice whether to leave them up or not. That's a matter to be determined by the locality as did the Charlottesville town council. Reflecting the complexity of the issue, it was a split vote (3-2).

Now IF I were a Charlottesville voter (or had been on the council) I would have voted to remove Gen. Lee from the town park ideally to be relocated to a museum or cemetery or battleground. Not destroy it, though. Put it in the context where it now belongs.

The time for them to dominate the local living space really is gone. Those days have passed.

History should be respected but part of that is understanding and respecting the historical process. Or perhaps that word should be "progress."

Now, I appreciate that folks of good faith may disagree and I'm not at all deaf to their arguments. But any decision involves weighing the relative merits of the various positions.

If the case comes down to who "suffered" more and, therefore, whose view merits greater consideration, I'd say it was those who suffered under slavery. Or Hussein.

But, again. Each locality can make their own decision
You seem to be a fair and balanced honest poster, so I appreciate the opportunity of having this honest discussion.

All b.s. aside, let me just say that I don't have a solution.

However, I feel Those in power seem to want to keep poor whites in their place, elevated above non-whites and fueling their hatred for them, without providing the things people really need (healthcare and education) This does not ever solve the conditions of poverty under which they suffer and only exacerbates the same racism that continues to destroy the lives of so many people. Those in power also seem to want to keep poor blacks and non-white lower class minorities in their place, by creating a scapegoat (the ENTIRE white race)

The game of divide and conquer: black vs white, Southerners vs the rest of the country, etc.

I will say, Treat the Cause, Not the Symptom. Removing monuments sounds like treating the symptom to me.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:20 PM

21,660 posts, read 11,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I have been all over this country and I'm betting more then most here. Racism is never even one's face but I can't count how many times I've heard from some good old boy use the N word.

Same for some black I've over heard them talk like they are still being treated like slaves and one day how they will get what's coming to them.

I was living in Columbia, SC when Obama won his first term and I talked to my black friends and plain out asked them why they were going to vote for him. They truly thought he was going to give them what they had been waiting for.
I don't hear that N word but I can say I don't hear the F word either from any of the conversations I have had with people over the years.. I must have a nice set of people I talk to. They don't cuss, use the N word or talk about color or ethnicity at all. We are just people.
They are angry about what the media is doing to President Trump. the hate , the negativity.. but they don't express themselves in racist or bad language.. they do not like one bit being called a racist, a nazi, or other choice words of the hateful left.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:24 PM

1,138 posts, read 456,936 times
I see black Congress delegates and Senators and we just had a Obama so we are making progress.

It's the attitude that is the problem not race. I agree it should be left to the states to decide how to represent the Civil War. I don't think it should be erased it is a part of our history and what made us who we are.

I think any sign of the Swastika Flag should be banned, it is an insult to everyone who fought and were in those camps.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:28 PM

33,254 posts, read 20,081,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
I see black Congress delegates and Senators and we just had a Obama so we are making progress.

It's the attitude that is the problem not race. I agree it should be left to the states to decide how to represent the Civil War. I don't think it should be erased it is a part of our history and what made us who we are.

I think any sign of the Swastika Flag should be banned, it is an insult to everyone who fought and were in those camps.
I can agree with this.

Also, people should quit comparing confederate soldiers to the Nazis.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:34 PM

21,660 posts, read 11,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Personally, I find the Confederate monuments quite "quaint" and would have no problem seeing them left in place just like I'd love to see the monument of Saddam Hussein still standing that was torn down right after the 2nd Gulf War. Assuming that is I ever ended up in Iraq as a tourist, which is a highly dubious proposition. But then I'm neither Black nor a Shiite. I suppose I'm a Northerner but then none of my relatives were killed in the Civil War.

But it's not my choice whether to leave them up or not. That's a matter to be determined by the locality as did the Charlottesville town council. Reflecting the complexity of the issue, it was a split vote (3-2).

Now IF I were a Charlottesville voter (or had been on the council) I would have voted to remove Gen. Lee from the town park ideally to be relocated to a museum or cemetery or battleground. Not destroy it, though. Put it in the context where it now belongs.

The time for them to dominate the local living space really is gone. Those days have passed.

History should be respected but part of that is understanding and respecting the historical process. Or perhaps that word should be "progress."

Now, I appreciate that folks of good faith may disagree and I'm not at all deaf to their arguments. But any decision involves weighing the relative merits of the various positions.

If the case comes down to who "suffered" more and, therefore, whose view merits greater consideration, I'd say it was those who suffered under slavery. Or Hussein.

But, again. Each locality can make their own decision.
Has the Lincoln Memorial past its expiration along with the General Lee monuments? As old wounds are reopened for the confederate side, it could be an insult to the south that Lincoln is honored but the confederates are considered racists and affront to all those who fought for the south.

The left is looking to divide us again and again.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:37 PM

6,971 posts, read 2,597,568 times
Quote:
Has the Lincoln Memorial past its expiration along with the General Lee monuments? As old wounds are reopened for the confederate side, it could be an insult to the south that Lincoln is honored but the confederates are considered racists and affront to all those who fought for the south.

The left is looking to divide us again and again.
If southern towns are deciding to take down confederate statues then it is southern towns practicing democracy. Nothing to do with outside influence. The outside influence comes in when neo nazis from across the country try to interject in local affairs.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:39 PM

14,310 posts, read 9,061,711 times
Quote:
I don't hear that N word but I can say I don't hear the F word either from any of the conversations I have had with people over the years.. I must have a nice set of people I talk to. They don't cuss, use the N word or talk about color or ethnicity at all. We are just people.

They are angry about what the media is doing to President Trump. the hate , the negativity.. but they don't express themselves in racist or bad language.. they do not like one bit being called a racist, a nazi, or other choice words of the hateful left.

White people would be upset that their lord and master is being called out.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:52 PM

20,673 posts, read 8,811,905 times
Quote:
Taratova, Trump does this do himself not the media. These are Trump's own words that promote hate and negativity. It's not hard to defend this. His words are on record and video.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:54 PM

23,064 posts, read 12,285,205 times
Quote:
The healing process after the Civil War was to bring the country back together. Erecting monuments of both sides helped the healing process knowing both sides lost many lives and had to go on as one nation.

Now the liberal left is opening up wounds that have healed.

The liberals are now implying that the southern people and keeping their statues are a sign of racism and that their statues must come down. The left are calling the southern people traitors as if they are still the enemy. This is dangerous to hear this.

They are now dividing the country again to demand these statues are to be removed. It is as if they believe the south is racist yet the history of this country has long moved on.

The left is stirring up any hate they can through dividing us.. Those self righteous people who think they are fighting a cause are creating hate and division.. these so called do gooders are ratcheting it up and it will not be good for our nation.
Do you live in the south?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or