U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:04 PM

6,971 posts, read 2,606,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Next Washington and Jefferson. The left loves to make controversy.
Who is to say who is a traitor. In this case it is pure opinion and outcome of who is the winner. We have all rebelled in our own way against the government. If the South had won the civil war the North would be the traitors to the south. if the Confederates were traitors what was the penalty for being a traitor after the war ended? True fact is the states had a right to secede.
Who said next Washington? Yellow journalism on your part. And you still have not shown why the Charlottesville decision to take Woden the lee statue was not a democratic process. Are u a communist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 10:06 PM

23,221 posts, read 12,334,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Anyone that thinks just the South has race problems is a damn fool. There are just as many race problems in the north and other regions of the country as there are in the South.
You don't think there is any race problem in the south.
You think that there are as many race problems in the north.

Does that mean you think the country has no race problems?

Where do you live" North, East, South, West.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:49 PM

23,339 posts, read 11,558,074 times
Quote:
Next Washington and Jefferson. The left loves to make controversy.
Who is to say who is a traitor. In this case it is pure opinion and outcome of who is the winner. We have all rebelled in our own way against the government. If the South had won the civil war the North would be the traitors to the south. if the Confederates were traitors what was the penalty for being a traitor after the war ended? True fact is the states had a right to secede.
No its not opinion. Article 3 , section 3

Quote:
1: Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.

They were traitors . They levied war against the United States of America

WHo wins did not change whether or not they were traitors, just like the Founding Fathers were traitors to the British Crown. The only thing winning changes is the punishment. The North decided the South had suffered enough, They jailed some, but pardoned most, ad began reconstruction.

And no, States do not have the right to secede. The union is indissoluble

Old 08-18-2017, 10:54 PM

5,934 posts, read 2,758,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
One of my managers is from New Orleans. According to her, so far the city has spent about $2 million in removing the city's Confederate statues. And her thoughts were that the money could have been better spent helping the impoverished blacks in their city.

So sad that an important part of US history is being erased and rewritten by liberals and blacks. And after all of that, will the poor members of the black community be healed and break their cycle of dysfunction? Will black baby daddies start marrying their black baby mommas to raise their children together?
Ever watch TEEN MOM on MTV?

Lots of white babies without daddies too and all in the South!

Old 08-18-2017, 10:59 PM

2,684 posts, read 1,049,963 times
Quote:
The healing process after the Civil War was to bring the country back together. Erecting monuments of both sides helped the healing process knowing both sides lost many lives and had to go on as one nation.

Now the liberal left is opening up wounds that have healed.

The liberals are now implying that the southern people and keeping their statues are a sign of racism and that their statues must come down. The left are calling the southern people traitors as if they are still the enemy. This is dangerous to hear this.

They are now dividing the country again to demand these statues are to be removed. It is as if they believe the south is racist yet the history of this country has long moved on.

The left is stirring up any hate they can through dividing us.. Those self righteous people who think they are fighting a cause are creating hate and division.. these so called do gooders are ratcheting it up and it will not be good for our nation.
Are you even American? Rhetorical question--it's clear that you're not. You are thus incapable of understanding the subtleties of American racism. The "left" (which is not the Democrats, by the way) is not trying to "divide" any of us. The fact that you keep stating so, over and over and over again, coupled with your odd use of English, tells me that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to knowing what it means to even be American. Also makes me wonder--"Taratova" being a Slavic name--how much you get paid to post here for the purpose of doing the real "dividing."

Old 08-19-2017, 07:05 AM

21,681 posts, read 11,141,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Who said next Washington? Yellow journalism on your part. And you still have not shown why the Charlottesville decision to take Woden the lee statue was not a democratic process. Are u a communist?
The communists want to rip up our history. Next Washington, Jefferson,dig up Confederate graves in Arlington cemetery. That is YOUR SIDE.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Are you even American? Rhetorical question--it's clear that you're not. You are thus incapable of understanding the subtleties of American racism. The "left" (which is not the Democrats, by the way) is not trying to "divide" any of us. The fact that you keep stating so, over and over and over again, coupled with your odd use of English, tells me that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to knowing what it means to even be American. Also makes me wonder--"Taratova" being a Slavic name--how much you get paid to post here for the purpose of doing the real "dividing."
My name is a combination of two names of my two dogs that passed. Are you again prejudiced calling out my name? You are a racist against slavics? Had to look up my name? You just insulted every immigrant that came here legally. The left is the true racists who hate .

Old 08-19-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I grew up in the South in a small town. Whites were mostly well off and Hispanics mostly poor.

I can't tell you the number of times we were denied service at private companies or simply ignored by public servants or volunteers. I ran into KKK members. Some who even gave me their business cards even though I looked Mexican Indian. Some who told me my kind will be gone soon or that we will all be digging ditches were we belong. All this, to scare me or shoo me away.

So when you imply that I should be fearful of a divided nation, I think the opposite. The divides will always be there because of differing values, beliefs, customs and cultures. So it is not something to be feared. It is an obstacle. We should aim for connection.
Do you actually believe that race relations are better off today? The left is bringing this division to the forefront of every liberal news station..

Trump voters are called racists, nazis, and they see us as all white.. well we are also Hispanic , Black and Asian.

Is this what you stand for? This hateful propaganda?

Old 08-19-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
No its not opinion. Article 3 , section 3

They were traitors . They levied war against the United States of America

WHo wins did not change whether or not they were traitors, just like the Founding Fathers were traitors to the British Crown. The only thing winning changes is the punishment. The North decided the South had suffered enough, They jailed some, but pardoned most, ad began reconstruction.

And no, States do not have the right to secede. The union is indissoluble
Yes, they had that right.. and they talked about it for years before the civil war knowing it was a right.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:13 AM

3,062 posts, read 1,570,528 times
Quote:
Do you actually believe that race relations are better off today? The left is bringing this division to the forefront of every liberal news station..

Trump voters are called racists, nazis, and they see us as all white.. well we are also Hispanic , Black and Asian.

Is this what you stand for? This hateful propaganda?
I don't take sides in name calling. I've been called names and it doesn't work with me. Whites were the ones who taught me "sticks and stone may break my bones but names will never hurt me."

I sympathize with Trump voters. I am friends with them. I work with them. They feel safe talking to me about their choice for Trump and safe making blank statements to me about Hispanics, Blacks or immigrants. White people had a huge impact on my life, though not always a direct positive experience, but mostly good. I enjoy hearing their point of view. But you are right. Trump voters come from all kinds of backgrounds. And you are right that race relations have soured since Obama.

What I am standing for is for you to consider for one moment that these statues are not how you connect to Americans from a different history. I don't believe the statues should be taken down unless something else can replace it or stand along side it that can represent other people who were impacted by those times.

Last edited by elyn02; 08-19-2017 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or