Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is media working to divide the nation and promote hate?
Yes 58 67.44%
No 28 32.56%
Unsure 0 0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:43 AM

29,680 posts, read 24,720,025 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any doubt that the US media/propaganda machine is behind most of the division and rising hate in America? I think they have been largely to blame for dividing the people up, then pitting them against one another. They do this because it's incredibly profitable for certain people. It may also boost ratings for themselves. It's also entertaining for some sick minded people.

I'm all for free speech, and do not believe in media censorship. I do think it's the responsibility of the people to do what is best for themselves and their country. I do my part by ignoring the lame stream media for the most part.

The media of today is a monster compared to media of 30 years ago. Previous generations would be disgusted with what passes for media today. All integrity has been lost, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 11:30 AM

716 posts, read 391,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Does anyone have any doubt that the US media/propaganda machine is behind most of the division and rising hate in America?...
No, the media just reports on the existing division and hate that conservatives turn a blind eye to...

Old 08-20-2017, 11:31 AM

24,348 posts, read 26,771,586 times
YES and it's working!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S2T...ature=youtu.be

Old 08-20-2017, 11:35 AM

45,063 posts, read 26,215,504 times
Ask yourself who benefits from the made up racism meme? Thats a good start.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:37 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,866,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I saw this earlier and I LOVE her, she is dead on.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:37 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,913,646 times
The media is simply doing the bidding of its bosses in the Democrat Party. This is all about reclaiming power for the left.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:38 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,074,153 times
"The media" is a pretty broad thing. That includes things like CNN, the NYT, the WSJ, as well as things like Breitbart, Gateway Pundit, and InfoWars. What's more, it includes Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube. It includes every TV show or magazine. Any radio show.

To suggest the "media" is doing anything other than being media is frankly too ambitious to be taken seriously. You can't even reliable say "to make money" since plenty of Twitter users do not get paid for anything other than their day job.

Perhaps you mean mainstream media, though even that can be tricky. Above all else, mainstream media just wants money. The know what sells, and it's controversy. There's a reason the Russia story isn't in the headlines as much as it used to. It's not because the issue is settled; as far as I know, the investigation is ongoing. It's because the story is old. People are easily distracted, so the story, rather it's resolved or not, needed a replacement.

Does this cause division? Yes. One form of scandal and controversy is the idea of two battling sides. For decades, we've heard of Republicans and Democrats going at it. For a time, it was civil. It's a lot less civil now, especially with the advent of the internet. Anyone can start a podcast and sincerely compete with the likes of the NYT in terms of views and attention. Listen to most political podcasts or blogs and you'll hear terms like "left" and "right" used as if they mean something. They don't. Plenty of people are smart enough to know that. But it works with the two sides narrative that we've been stuck with for decades.

I think we're seeing the result of that. This 'political war' is slowly turning into something that might resemble actual conflict and there's really no doubt that media, be it mainstream or otherwise, is either fueling it or using it as fuel. I don't think this was a plot though. I simply don't buy into anything that conspiratorial.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:39 AM

29,680 posts, read 24,720,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
No, the media just reports on the existing division and hate that conservatives turn a blind eye to...
America is a free country, and people are free to hate if they wish. We also have a right to ignore hatred and live our lives in peace. No one can force me to hate my fellow Americans.

Resist the hate, and you will be a freer and happier individual.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:41 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,816,672 times
The media is trying to divide the republican party and conservative media against itself, and promote hate and division against white identity.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:42 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,439,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Does anyone have any doubt that the US media/propaganda machine is behind most of the division and rising hate in America?
Trump supporters are behind the division and rising hate in America. These are the same people who were behind dividing this country for 8 years under Pres. Obama.

Quit blaming the media for everything like your boy Trump does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies